Why can't I do this?!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by possumjon, Jun 14, 2018.

1. possumjon

possumjon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love pistols. I shoot them fairly well(judging by others I've seen anyway).But for the life of me, I can't shoot rimfires. Off hand I can go out to 25 yards and shoot fist sized groups with my 45 LC and ACP all day. Same with all the varieties I've shot of others guns, 357, 44 SPL, 327 federal etc. DA and SA. Out to about 12 yards I can do this with my j frame as well.

Ive owned 3 rimfires, 2 revolver and 1 auto. 1 22 mag and the others LR. I couldn't hold 'respectable' groups with any of them. Most people seem to have the opposite problem, shoot rimfires good but not bigger bore. Am I the odd man out and any idea why?

On a side note took my 357 Henry all weather out tonight. This may become my favourite rifle!

2. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Could be a number of things. Rimfires are a rule unto themselves when it comes to ammo. Some need a specific ammo for it to shoot respectable groups some like to be clean others like to be dirty. Depending on what kind of centerfire you shoot (revolver or semi auto) and what kind of rimfire you have the difference in grip could also be an issue. Handguns are all about your grip and trigger control. Also it could actually be the gun. I can shoot much better groups with my ruger mkiii target than I can with my ruger single six. Try good ammo (CCI standard velocity is a good ammo to try, Eley, wolf gold)

3. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A lot of people have trouble with rimfires, often its because they are so light weight. They take more work and concentration when thats the case, especially since youre aiming for or expecting to hit a smaller target generally. Like squirrel size for instance. But get too heavy and its just as bad.

pab1, camp casey, possumjon and 3 others like this.
  4. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some rimfires have very heavy and sometimes long trigger pulls. In a light weight gun this can cause more movement off target as you pull the trigger. As mentioned ammo selection is important as well. One gun may like one brand and weight and another gun may print all over using the same ammo. Really pay attention in these areas and you should be able to improve your groups.

5. Bronco68

Bronco68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Which make/model of rimfire gives you the most trouble?

pab1, Wasp, possumjon and 1 other person like this.
  6. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Here is a suggestion to try. I’m assuming the firearm will group off a solid rest. Naturally if it does not that needs to be resolved first. Change ammo, make sure everything is tight (including the sights), make sure nothing is broken in the firearm etc.

I really hold the grip with moderately firm pressure, just like I would for a .45. Because they don’t recoil like a heavy caliber you cannot depend on that recoil to push the grip back into your hand, so you need to really take pains to see that the grip is the same for every trigger release. Also over hold your follow through too. While it is measured in milliseconds the .22 LR bullet is in the barrel longer than you think and any after trigger release motion will open the group a surprising amount. Dry fire a secession or two a week for a while, you’d be surprised how much shooter movement even the light recoiling .22 hides.

7. possumjon

possumjon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    O was thinking it might be the slower bullet speed, moving the barrel as I squeeze the trigger. I'll have to pick up different ammo soon to try out. I bought the gun during the 'drought' of 22 ammo so I been shooting the two bricks I bought with it. Out of the rim fires I've owned my mark 2 was by far the most accurate. I could come close to fist groups with it. I liked that gun but it had reliability issues. I had a single 9 22 mag and now I'm shooting a little bearcat.
    I was looking at getting a pellet pistol to practice in the backyard. Don't know much about pellet guns though!

pab1, Bronco68 and werewolf won like this.
  8. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    You touch on something that's a real problem with slower projectiles... its called follow thru and if you don't practice it, you will never shoot well. Its the plague on a handgun airgun competitor.

CW

9. Bronco68

Bronco68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Trigger control issues with respect to .22 handguns may be as simple as being used to a heavier major caliber gun, which with its greater mass is less likely to move off target while pressing the trigger than a lighter .22 pistol like a bearcat, or equivalent weight semiauto. Plus I've noticed a definite decrease in out of the box trigger quality on the newer.22 pistols and revolvers.

pab1 and possumjon like this.
  10. Lil Bullits

Lil Bullits Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Follow through is the key. I learned this shooting percussion capped Civil War era muskets . We called it "peeking" . Let the mess come to a test before you look to see where you hit . My .22 accuracy improved when I got a bolt action. Slow is clean, clean is fast.

11. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am betting that your hands may be too large for that Bearcat, preventing a real solid hold. And I doubt that there are a lot of custom grips available for it. I have a SP101 in .22 LR that shoots MUCH better with Hogue nylon finger grooved grips than it did with the little rubber grips that it came with.

And it is well known that .22's usually do best with a certain brand of ammo. It just takes some bench time to find the right one.

12. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Could be a couple things.

There's a normal 'shake' to anyone's hand when held out. A heavier gun will help minimize/stabilize this, so your groups would be smaller. A lighter gun (I don't think I've ever seen a heavy .22 pistol!) will just naturally be more susceptible to this.

The caliber itself is another thing. An 8 cent .22 round (probably?) has a higher standard deviation than higher quality larger caliber center-fire rounds. I can't remember exactly what the SD of most .22 is, but iirc, it was something around 1/2" at 100 yards... same rounds, same brand, same lot, fired from a vise, .22 shoots more erratically than other calibers. I'm sure someone smarter than me can explain it.

Finally, quality of ammo. They make match-grade .22, and they make .05 cent mega buckets.

Eagerly awaiting @scottman's input here...

pab1, rmil, possumjon and 1 other person like this.
  13. mortblanc

mortblanc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I must agree with Seeker on this one.

I find ammo quality and preference to be the most important aspect of shooting .22rf.

I have owned several good quality guns that would not group some brands of .22lr inside 2"@25 yards off a rest.

The same firearm with its preferred ammo would go inside of 1/4" @ 25.

Tuning a rimfire and finding the correct "load" for the beast may take dozens of brands and hundreds of rounds and you might discover that the best ammo for your gun is not available at Walmart or the LGS.

pab1, Seeker and possumjon like this.
  14. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just saw that your shooting a little bearcat. Probably not the best for targets. Get a good semi auto target pistol. (Ruger mkiii or mk4 Target, S&W victory, Browning buckmark) my preference is the mkiii target it’s a pretty substantial rimfire. I’ve also got a fantastic aftermarket trigger (among other things). You can’t expect target grade accuracy out of a small packing pistol.

pab1 likes this.
  15. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    A practiced shooter can shoot... matters little if its a SA, DA, striker or DAO handgun.

[​IMG]

One needs to understand and utilize the fundamentals of pistol shooting to shoot well.

CW

pab1 likes this.
  16. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I always blame it on the ammo... :33:

I can't shoot wheel guns consistently. Something about the grips and my Gorilla hands. I've never held a revolver that felt good in my hand and just when I think I'm getting it down, I'll be all over the target.

pab1 likes this.
  17. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I understand that great accuracy can be had with any gun with proper fundamentals but some guns are just better for target shooting than others.

pab1, Cwlongshot and Wasp like this.