Why do you like revolvers?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Paulyseggs, Aug 12, 2019.

1. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    because mags are expensive and I'm cheep. mags get damaged and lost ( you now have a vary find semi auto single shot) and ya got to work at it to lose a cylinder. I don't have to take my shoes off to keep track of how much ammo is left............. though truth be told I shoot a bottom feeder better.

pab1, Paulyseggs, freebirdfb and 2 others like this.
  2. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    A time tested design, simple operation, all steel parts, easy to reload for, and deals with ammo of all power levels.

I recently considered picking up an inexpensive, used semiauto .22; a quick look into the manual of arms convinced me to hold out for another revolver instead. Semi-auto pistols have too many features to suit me, lol...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    As with anything, a revolver has its advantages, and its disadvantages. Semi-auto handguns are no exception. I've carried for over 30 years. Carried revolvers and semi-auto.

My preference is the 1911. That said, I still carry a Taurus 85 (.38 spl.) once in a while. I like to carry my .38, or a compact 9mm on church day. Easier to conceal than a 1911.

It mainly depends on my mood and what I will be doing, as to what I carry. :rolleyes::)

GingerBeardMan, pab1, Sandcut and 3 others like this.
  4. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was a range officer at Bianchi Cup Pistol Tournement for 14 years, I've seen about every kind of gun shoot a lot of rounds. I've seen a lot of malfunctions from semi autos, but usually if it was with a revolver it was a ammo problem. I've watched guys that had a primer not fire run it back around and it worked the second time. Revolver for me. JMHO

Stophel, pab1, H3NT3 and 5 others like this.
  5. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think the K frame is the perfect size revolver, still kicking myself for not buying a 3" When all those LEO trade-ins were on the market.
    People say a K frame won't handle a steady diet of hot magnum rounds, well, neither will I. I like .38 specials and think it's one of the most accurate rounds ever developed.
    I one learns to shoot a DA revolver accurately in DA then shooting any other firearm becomes easier.

6. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    True.

Unless you jump through hoops like in the case of the suppressed Knight Revolver Rifle .....

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Knight's_Armament_Revolver_Rifle

....or the Nagant revolver which has its cylinder move forward to close the gap.

7. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    For many of the listed reasons. And my first handgun was an 1851 navy. Revolvers just feel right.

pab1 and Paulyseggs like this.
  8. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  9. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    one of the greatest pieces of industrial art, ever. the peacemaker. american beauty ...

pab1, freebirdfb, Birdman and 3 others like this.
  10. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Revolvers are very reliable . . . most of the time. It's a myth that they never fail or malfunction. And when a revolver does go down, it's usually going to need tools to fix it.

I was in a class once using a S&W Model 629 borrowed from the late Denny Reichert (RIP), who was one of the best S&W gunsmiths in the country. Coincidentally, he was also the instructor for that block of the class. Anyway, I was shooting a drill and the 629 locked-up and quit rotating. I mention this because it's an example of an incredibly reliable machine, tuned and maintained by a gunsmith of well known skills, and it still failed. So while revolver malfunctions are uncommon, they do happen and they are often too serious to remedy quickly. That's not a big deal on the range, but if you're depending on it for defense, it's important to avoid believing that it can't fail to function and have a plan B in case something does go wrong.

11. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    Any mechanical device can fail. A friend who maintained IT equipment for the FAA used to say "It's not if your hard drive with fail but when."

pab1, freebirdfb and rhino on INGO like this.
  12. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The failures I have encountered with revolvers in over 55 years of shooting them are:

Cylinder in stainless .22 mag S&W and Freedom Arms m-97 .45 Colt locking up due to heat and close cylinder to bore gap.

S&W resolvers ocasionally going out of time.

2 Colt Diamondback revolvers being inaccurate...don't know why.

Cylinder pins on S&W revolvers coming unscrewed and locking up the cylinder.

One rear sight on a S&W m-19 got launched out into the gravel.

Two big-bore S&W revolvers froze because of insufficient crimps on the ammo and one or more of the projectiles walked out of the front of the cylinder, locking it up when a bullet nose rotated against the barrel extension.

All but the Colt Diamondbacks were easily fixable but all would have been bad news in a confrontation.

These instances occurred maybe once over a 4-5 year period, so many years of trouble-free shooting in between.

I still carry a revolver occasionally and shoot the at steel and when hunting. Maintaining your firearm and using reliable ammo are the key here.

Regards,

ezra

pab1, Paulyseggs, 45jack and 2 others like this.
  13. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the way they feel in my hand, simple to use, and they go Bang every time. DSCN6805.JPG

14. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Yes, Taurus.

No. 6 shot.

Can't. Don't have a scale to weigh since I gave up distributing cocaine.

That is a joke.

I never owned a scale.

:D

Swampdog, pab1, Paulyseggs and 3 others like this.
  15. SavageJak

SavageJak Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't, really. The exception is SAA and the like. Love me a Ruger Vaquero with a birds head grip....not for everyday carry, but for nostalgia and fun.

pab1, Paulyseggs and freebirdfb like this.
  16. 41magfan

41magfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've done Armorer duties on both (experiencing ALL the variables that include operator input, maintenance, ammunition, neglect/abuse, durability, shootability, etc) and I can assure you the wheel-gun ain't the winner.

However (setting notions and emotions aside) the revolver will always be useful (objectively speaking) and one of the strengths that design enjoys is the capability to handle large, powerful cartridges .... say .41 Magnum and up. In that arena, they are the undisputed champs and it looks like that paradigm isn't likely to be changed anytime soon.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    pab1, JoeJ, FreeMe and 3 others like this.
  17. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1. They go "click, click, BOOM!"

2. Steel. There's just something about holding a chunk of steel that spits fire.

3. You can say things like "Do you feel lucky, punk?", while chewing on the stump of a cigar

4. They never have failure to feed issues

5. They never have magazine issues

6. They are more fun to clean, with a lot less annoying parts and pieces

7. They are much easier to look cool when you exaggerate the muzzle rise when you shoot, you just pretend you did it to cock the hammer.

18. 45jack

Blog Posts:
  19. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

I have to be argumentative...buuuut....

That Smith and Wesson 64-3 I posted a photo of above had fouling in the chambers from someone leaving the gun dirty fir a really ling time resulting in a couple small corroded spots that wouldn't allow a cartridge to seat the whole way. Soooooo........ technically.........wouldn't that qualify as a failure to feed?

;)

20. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have to think about that. I'm pretty sure it must have been your fault, I just have to figure out how to blame it on you and not the gun.:22:

21. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    This thing about reliability always comes up with revolver vs auto threads (which this actually wasn't meant to be, I think). I can also attest that revolvers do fail and when they do, they fail miserably. Not only that, but revolvers are more susceptible to binding up in situations like rolling in the mud, than, say, a Glock - or even a GM 1911. The "easier to clean" claim is also debatable. In fact, I myself left my revolvers sitting most of the time for years because cleaning the barrel and slide of an auto is actually less work and takes less time than cleaning the barrel (from the front!) and chambers of a revolver.

What the revolver does better mechanically than an auto is feeding non-standard round profiles, weights, and charges - along with handling higher power (in a similar size package). Also, as I mentioned, they have the ability to accommodate a wider range of hand sizes and shapes. The rest, although much of it is relevant, is somewhat subjective, at best. But these things alone are reasons enough.

22. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  23. JerseyDevilJeeper

JerseyDevilJeeper Professional Guide Supporter

Blog Posts:
    3C5D2723-A294-473C-ACDA-0D7CCE07CD2F.jpeg
    Momma, where’s your gun so I can show my buddies on the computer?
    They wanna know why you don’t want one like mine??

“Simple” (this belongs to my 85 year old 5’ Italian Mother)!
    She says “Mine is simple, point and pull, if nothin happens, pull again. “Has never stuck [she means jammed] in 30 years I had it”

24. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    When they outlaw all semiautomatic firearms revolvers will still be here.

25. JerseyDevilJeeper

JerseyDevilJeeper Professional Guide Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^ THIS IS TRUE^^^^

45jack, freebirdfb and pab1 like this.
  26. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For a few months.:4:

When they come, they're coming for them all. Ain't gettin nothin! But they'll be coming.;)

What you said though doesn't even factor anywhere in my decision making process for buying/owning firearms.

Birdman, freebirdfb, Lee C. and 6 others like this.
  27. ouzool

ouzool Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love my s&w 686 because it's like a rifle but it fits in the palm of my hand.

It's accurate, hits hard and dependable.

28. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

Have you been talking to my wife again? Sure sounds like it. ;)

29. David Wittkowski

David Wittkowski Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Because I'm old and I like old things lol

30. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    My "go to" is a well-used S&W Model 65 with a 4" barrel. Totally reliable. In the past, I had the opportunity to carry a S&W Model 15, 4" in a tropical environment. Did my part to keep it going, and never had a problem with it. Also love autos, and have carried them "for real" in a number of places around the globe. In Northern Iraq several years back, I carried a (former Iraqi Police) Colt Cobra...it fit in a cargo pants pocket quite well. It was a back-up for my Glock 19 and Sterling SMG. Never had any problems with the Cobra, either.

Ron

31. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    The 65 is a favorite of mine. Nice.

Sterling? Thats a blast from the past.

32. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    The first firearm I bought for myself was a 6” Colt Royal Blue Python. I was 17 and just home from Basic Combat Training (BCT), and Infantry (11B) Advanced Individual Training (AIT); I had just bought each of my three brothers their first deer rifles when I saw the 6” Python (came in the old Colt “waxed cardboard box) and a S&W Md 57 4” .41 Magnum (in a wood display box set). I bought them both, (and yes my Mother had to actually pay for them and put them in her name because of my age).

What’s that they say about your “first” kiss, or your “first” love? Well, I may well use semiautos, and even prefer them for some uses, but the revolver was and remains my “first”! Besides I’ve never known a true firearm coniseur that couldn’t appreciate all the types!;)

33. Kennebago

Kennebago Scout

Blog Posts:
    Two reasons.

First, they are incredibly easy to deal with administratively. Open cylinder, load, open cylinder, unload.

Second, I like DA shooting specifically because it is hard. I fought with my 92FS for years, and it became much easier after I started shooting a S&W 642 for groups.

The old wisdom of "everything else gets easier if you can shoot DA" I have 100% found to be true... I picked out a new pocket-sized DAO .380 yesterday and dryfired it for a while to get acquainted. It has a long trigger stroke, and it lightly stacks like a J-frame at the end, but it's far cleaner and lighter. If Glocks are all you know, it'd be bad. Compared to a J-frame, it's pretty great, and I immediately felt comfortable with it.

34. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Revolver can handle very light foraging loads, mid range target loads, hot +p or magnum loads all interchangeably. Does not throw my brass away. Limited capacity teaches careful marksmanship and control. Ammo FTF can be dealt with by pulling trigger again.
    Overall, mechanical failure rate is about the same, the revolver is more versatile in ammo, but has lower capacity.
    For non military or law enforcement use, revolver capacity is seldom a limiting factor.
    Learning to shoot a DA revolver is easier safety wise than a self loader.
    Use what works, HYOH.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    slysir, Birdman, FreeMe and 4 others like this.
  35. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    I’m a sucker for a SA Revolver... ESP if it’s chambered 41 or 45!!!

Lesser extent for DA Revolvers but they have there own allure & appeal.

CW

Lee C., SavageJak, slysir and 4 others like this.
  36. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    "Revolvers!"
    I love this movie! Just watched it again the other day!
    Ron

37. Pinnah

Pinnah Scout

Blog Posts:

I think there are 2 kinds of reliability when it comes to mechanical objects that we use in a performance setting.

One is long term reliability, or perhaps better thought of as durability or even as field serviceable. In this kind of "reliability" we might accept occasional minor failures so long as they are easily field serviceable.

The other is what we might call in the moment reliability, which has to do with its ability to perform the function at any given time, assuming it's in good working order. In this form of reliability, we might accept occasional catastrophic failures that can't be remedied in the field, so long the object does its job with no minor failures along the way. Extra bonus points are awarded if the the design of the object is such that it gives early warning of a coming catastrophic failure.

IMO, semi-automatics like the 1911 have good long-term reliability but less good in the moment reliability. The gun might stove pipe randomly requiring it to be recycled and unjammed (poor in the moment reliability) but it can be stripped downed and cleaned easily generally won't fail catastrophically (good long term reliability). This is what makes it such as good weapon of war.

IMO, revolvers have excellent in-the-moment reliability but they have less long-term reliability. One hopes that with careful inspection one can notice timing and lock up issues that require the attention of a gun smith. But, generally speaking, when you pull the trigger either it goes bang or you just pull the trigger again - excellent in-the-moment reliability. This is why I think they make for better defensive use.

38. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    The timing issue is really only relevant to some revolvers. OTOH, it is easy to tweak the crane of a DA revolver just by dropping it on a hard surface

freebirdfb, Stophel and Paulyseggs like this.
  39. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Exactly. Timing is NOT the big, scary, imminent, unavoidable threat that people, for some reason, make it out to be. Honestly, I've had, and seen, and handled a LOT of revolvers. None of them have ever had "timing problems". Ok, maybe a Pietta percussion revolver, ...Oh, and a Ruger too...but those problems were there because they were there to begin with (and they have been fixed). I doubt most people even understand what "timing" is anyway. Just some scary sounding thing for people to be terrified of.

Yes, the crane/yoke is kind of a weak link.... just don't drop it, though. ;)

40. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I put this pic on a couple other threads, but might not be amiss to share a glamour shot of my little SA.

1AA573D1-2C09-4803-B575-2DC196E813D6.jpeg

freebirdfb, RavenLoon, slysir and 4 others like this.
  41. Daveboone

Daveboone Scout

Blog Posts:
    As so often mentioned, complete reliability and availability of power that semi automatic weapons still only dream of, versatility of rounds (.38 wadcutter to .38 special or full house .357 magnums in the appropriate gun, repeat the same for .44 magnums .

42. Sierramtns42

Sierramtns42 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In the woods I carry either a double action S&W .357 or a Ruger Bisley .45 Colt 5.5 inch with heavy loads, depending on where I am. I find that revolvers are natural pointers for me. Point and shoot and revolvers will hit pretty close to where I want, within the range (distance) that is critical for my needs. I have never had to fire in self defense but I have practiced with the open carry holsters I have. I have done this with both semi-autos and revolvers. Revolvers are always better for me. I think it is a combination of natural pointing and thinking. Revolvers - DRAW, POINT, SHOOT. THAT'S IT.
    Semi autos - Draw, point, safety on/off?, don't limp wrist, shoot, don't worry about stovepipes, I generally have to adjust upwards to hit my desired aim point. I may be exaggerating but revolvers are better for me. Faster hits and more accurate hits when stressed.
    Having said that I love shooting my SIG .40 and my Colt .45 ACP. But when push comes to shove I will have a revolver.

43. GingerBeardMan

GingerBeardMan Tracker

Blog Posts:

I have a chance to pick up that Taurus 85. You like it ok? It's been a decent reliable gun?

freebirdfb, slysir and Paulyseggs like this.
  44. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely! Very good gun. Have had little issues other than bad fouling with garbage ammo a time or two. The pros for me... Lightweight, accurate & reliable. As well as easily concealed. The cons for me: Five shots. I sometimes wish it had six or even seven shot capacity. Fixed sights. Although, I did paint them with some hi-viz paint. A little easier to sight for these old eyes.

I carry a couple of speed loaders along with it. So, reloading is pretty quick. :)

45. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have carried both revolvers and semi autos for over thirty years but now, for EDC I carry a revolver. My favorite is a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Spl. I grew up shooting revolvers and when I joined the military I shot a semi auto for the first time. I don't plan on getting in a situation requiring more than 5 or 6 shots even though I carry 3 speed loaders. While I can shoot either well I am more comfortable with a revolver.

46. fuzz stick

fuzz stick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I actually had a revolver (S&W 629) freeze up because of a small hair thin sliver of a piece from a bronze bristle cleaning brush that lodged between the hand and hand slot in frame.

Goes bang every time????? I used to shoot about 20,000 rounds per year on average and can tell you that either can be prone to give problems. I've had far too many failures to take seriously any claims that revolvers always deliver the goods. This is a case of pure confirmation bias being revealed. I like revolvers but I don't pretend any superiority with them. Use them and be happy and let that be it.

I've had tremendous levels of reliability with each and just about an equal number of failures as well.

47. Pinnah

Pinnah Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not disputing this but I find that surprising and not consistent with my experience and observations.

I found your description of the jammed S&W illuminating and helpful.

Could you describe the other kinds of failures you've seen with revolvers that have put them on par with semi-autos in terms of failure rates?

48. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any machine can fail IMO, but so far my only revolver "glitches" have been ammo issues...my own fault too, I was shooting under-powered handloads and had a couple primers back out.

49. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    A lot of folks said they shoot better with a revolver. Same here. In fact, I have jokingly said to friends that, before they really p*ss me off, they'd best look to see that I'm not packing a wheelgun! ;):D

I have an idea as to why many folks shoot better with revolvers. Weight distribution. With an auto, the weight is concentrated in the grip, which allows the muzzle to easily move around and wobble. A revolver's weight sits well forward so that some effort is required to keep the muzzle up. This stabilizes the revolver and minimizes wobble.

Just my two-hundredths of a dollar, folks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    freebirdfb and Paulyseggs like this.
  50. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    Same here, plus one more. I bought some factory reloaded cowboy ammo for my .357s. They worked great in my Marlin rifle but locked up my reproduction Remington 1875 revolvers. Turns out their overall length was just a wee bit too much for the Remmies' cylinders. They caught on the forcing cones.

freebirdfb and Paulyseggs like this.