Why I store water

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Joe Deer Runner, May 2, 2018.

1. Joe Deer Runner

Joe Deer Runner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For starters, I live in the desert. We have water in our vehicles, in our kits, and we buy the packs of water and keep them in the spare room. Secondly, in the past year we've had no water due to a water main breaking or something wrong with the water.
    Case in point, the past few days we had no water as our water line from the house to the main line, broke. The WHOLE thing needed to be replaced as the line was so old and I didn't want to deal with it happening again.
    BTW, you be surprised how fast you go through a 24 pack of water in one day.

Joe

2. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you store bulk water, beyond single-servings?

NevadaBlue, central joe and Zunga like this.
  3. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    Storing water is always a good idea. I live in arguably one of the wettest places on earth. I have 2 18 liter jug full and refreshed always. My area gets boil water advisories typically in summer. Plus in a earthquake zone. If that happened there would be water everywhere. Including many septic fields. Having even one of those jugs would buy me time. The jugs are plastic bulk kitty litter containers with a threaded cap. They also work well boat bumpers. Granted that use is less likely a desert. LOL
    Cheers Jim

4. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    atlastrekker likes this.
  5. Joe Deer Runner

Joe Deer Runner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We'd like to, but its easier to store them in single servings in our house.

Joe

atlastrekker likes this.
  6. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We installed 2 1500 concrete underground tanks to catch rainwater at our house. We use the water for flushing toilets, all outdoor watering, and we drink and cook with it after 3 filterings. We filter at the downspout, we have a sediment filter in the house, and if we drink or cook with it it goes through a Berkie filter. I really like the security of having water no matter what.

7. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @RickS I considered trying to catch water from a large roof, but I have recent new asphalt shingles (more filtering) . I thought my best bet could be plastic IBC containers (food ones, not motor oil) . I have a walkout basement door near one of the downspouts, but the IBC is just a little too wide to go into the door (masonry, so I can't easily widen it).

I have potential freezing problems in winter outside above-ground, and a concrete patio in the way of burying anything. How to you pull it uphill for use?

atlastrekker and RickS like this.
  8. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    hopefully to take a bath...............................lol

RickS likes this.
  9. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Storing water is always a good idea. We have six 55 gallon barrels at the back of the house, and one at the front, full of rain water. My grandparents old house, built in the mid1800’s, had a wonderful cistern. I so want a cistern.

JohnP

FIELDCRAFTLTC, atlastrekker and RickS like this.
  10. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We use city water for anything heated so my pump in the tanks doesn't have to keep our solar water heater on the roof continually pressurized. We have a great stainless submersible on demand pump down in the tanks for when we use that water. I can also get water by opening a valve in the basement even if we have no electricity. Plus, we always have city water that will kick in for all needs if we run out of water in the tanks. We never have gotten below 6 inches down in the tanks. If we used it for everything we might. I put on a metal roof for this, we only catch water off of half the roof, we have a around 1000 sq ft house. It took a year to get the building codes changed in Springfield to make my system legal.

JohnP, Glock Holiday and atlastrekker like this.
  11. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    We have a well, but I also catch rain water off the roof and use that for backup. In case the well runs dry I have 4 55 gallon drums of drinkable water that I rotate twice a year and a 5000 gallon water tank that stores the rain water along with a few IBC totes as well. It's pretty amazing how much water a household needs to operate, I am constantly amazed when I watch the tank drain.

RickS and JohnP like this.