Why I store water

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Joe Deer Runner, May 2, 2018.

1. Joe Deer Runner

Joe Deer Runner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For starters, I live in the desert. We have water in our vehicles, in our kits, and we buy the packs of water and keep them in the spare room. Secondly, in the past year we've had no water due to a water main breaking or something wrong with the water.
    Case in point, the past few days we had no water as our water line from the house to the main line, broke. The WHOLE thing needed to be replaced as the line was so old and I didn't want to deal with it happening again.
    BTW, you be surprised how fast you go through a 24 pack of water in one day.

Joe

2. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you store bulk water, beyond single-servings?

3. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Storing water is always a good idea. I live in arguably one of the wettest places on earth. I have 2 18 liter jug full and refreshed always. My area gets boil water advisories typically in summer. Plus in a earthquake zone. If that happened there would be water everywhere. Including many septic fields. Having even one of those jugs would buy me time. The jugs are plastic bulk kitty litter containers with a threaded cap. They also work well boat bumpers. Granted that use is less likely a desert. LOL
    Cheers Jim

4. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    atlastrekker likes this.
  5. Joe Deer Runner

Joe Deer Runner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We'd like to, but its easier to store them in single servings in our house.

Joe

rustystove2017 and atlastrekker like this.
  6. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We installed 2 1500 concrete underground tanks to catch rainwater at our house. We use the water for flushing toilets, all outdoor watering, and we drink and cook with it after 3 filterings. We filter at the downspout, we have a sediment filter in the house, and if we drink or cook with it it goes through a Berkie filter. I really like the security of having water no matter what.

Prairiewolf, TAHAWK, xrayit and 14 others like this.
  7. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @RickS I considered trying to catch water from a large roof, but I have recent new asphalt shingles (more filtering) . I thought my best bet could be plastic IBC containers (food ones, not motor oil) . I have a walkout basement door near one of the downspouts, but the IBC is just a little too wide to go into the door (masonry, so I can't easily widen it).

I have potential freezing problems in winter outside above-ground, and a concrete patio in the way of burying anything. How to you pull it uphill for use?

8. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    hopefully to take a bath...............................lol

rustystove2017 and RickS like this.
  9. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Storing water is always a good idea. We have six 55 gallon barrels at the back of the house, and one at the front, full of rain water. My grandparents old house, built in the mid1800’s, had a wonderful cistern. I so want a cistern.

JohnP

10. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We use city water for anything heated so my pump in the tanks doesn't have to keep our solar water heater on the roof continually pressurized. We have a great stainless submersible on demand pump down in the tanks for when we use that water. I can also get water by opening a valve in the basement even if we have no electricity. Plus, we always have city water that will kick in for all needs if we run out of water in the tanks. We never have gotten below 6 inches down in the tanks. If we used it for everything we might. I put on a metal roof for this, we only catch water off of half the roof, we have a around 1000 sq ft house. It took a year to get the building codes changed in Springfield to make my system legal.

JohnP, Glock Holiday and atlastrekker like this.
  11. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    We have a well, but I also catch rain water off the roof and use that for backup. In case the well runs dry I have 4 55 gallon drums of drinkable water that I rotate twice a year and a 5000 gallon water tank that stores the rain water along with a few IBC totes as well. It's pretty amazing how much water a household needs to operate, I am constantly amazed when I watch the tank drain.

RickS and JohnP like this.
  12. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been storing water for years. I recycle most 2 liter soda bottles, Power Aid & Gatorade bottles, (my personal favorites). I always have 3 ten gallon water coolers (Igloo type) filled, and I get those used, 5 gallon, food grade buckets from the deli/ bakery at Walmart (at a buck a piece)! I actually got a chance to use it the in a "situation" a couple of months ago.

I live in Southern Illinois, and was affected by a major water main breakdown at the source. A 36 inch out put line at the WTP failed and they didn't have any replacemen materials on hand at the site and it took days to find one and get it repaired, and a 48 hour waiting period to purge the system! That left over 60 communities without clean water, or any water, for that matter for almost 5 days! I however, did not have any issue, due to my large back up of stored water. I guess it works!!

13. Naturalist

Naturalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Like others here I have made it a practice to store water for the past 40 years. I have 4 seven gallon containers filled all the time. Go on a trip or camping with the vehicle, grab a seven gallon container of water.

Last year our well pump went out so we were without water for 24 hours until it was replaced. That stored water was appreciated then.

14. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I always keep a 72hr (45l) watersupply for our family of 5 and I mean to expand that to at least 7 days, counting 3l of water p.p.p.d.
    I do so since our (ground)waterpump depends on the grid, which goes down regularly for short periods.
    But I have a 250l hydrophore-tank waiting and I mean to talk to the neighbours about getting that waterpump offgrid with solarcells and batteries.

15. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use juice bottles and soda bottles.

Both around half gallon size.

Also have a half dozen 7gal aquatainters .

The bottles work well for us. Easy to store move and use . The big jugs are heavy

16. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I purchased an item called a 'water bob' for emergency water storage.

It's a heavy duty plastic bag the size of a bathtub. You place it in your tub and fill it from the tub tap. The bag has a screw type filling port with a plastic hose used to siphon water from the bag.

This isn't for long term water storage because it uses your tub to contain the water. If and when we get notice of storms, earthquakes, or simply water outages, this is the time to break out the Water Bob, fill it up and seal it for near term emergency use.

I can't remember where I purchased mine, but a brief Google search should turn up a source in no time.

Steve

17. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always keep 70 gallons or so of water, use my Berkey to filter all consumable water. Have a couple MSR and a Katadyn pocket filters for back up along with chemicals like bleach and Aquamira.