Why the change in the Woodsman?

Discussion in 'Adventure Sworn Bushcraft Co.' started by mjh, Apr 5, 2018.

1. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but why the change in the Woodsman?

I've used three Woodsman's my favorite AS design. I gifted another one to a friend. I did sell one but still own the other two, just handle size preference....

Recently picked up a Hiker. Nice knife, did some carving with it, I'll keep it for a while.

Noticed the new Woodsman's......kinda looks like an enlarged Hiker??

Good looking enough knife and I'm sure the quality will be AS A grade......

Just wondering why the change???.....I like the old Woodsman design just fine.....could have named the new knife the Hiker XL and kept the old design.......perhaps the old Woodsman just didn't sell??

I dunno....just the ramblings of a woodsbum about the knife called the Woodsman.....:50:

rahan27, M.Hatfield, Pharmer and 8 others like this.
  2. Blackhawk60

Blackhawk60 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wondered the same, and I'm sure some other people are asking the same thing. I'm like you, in that it looks like a xl Hiker model. As far as the Woodsman, it's my favorite model as well.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Always wanted a woodsman but no thx on the new design.

4. VaDimZH

VaDimZH Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Same here,prefer the old design Woodsman.

5. wolffire99

wolffire99 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now I'm really kicking myself for waiting on an (old design) woodsman.

Adventure Sworn likes this.
  6. delkhouri

delkhouri Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have never owned or even held the old woodsman, but I kinda like the new version. I would have ordered one if it had been in cpm154 or 3V.

7. House of Horst

House of Horst Have knife, will travel Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tucked in the WV Eastern Panhandle Appalachians
    I know they said in an email back around the middle of March that they were revising the Woodsman and would detail the changes in an upcoming email, but can't recall if said email ever made its way to my inbox. Hey @Adventure Sworn, perhaps you guys should do another blog post like this one regarding the handle shape change? I really enjoy the insightful look in to how/why you design your knives the way you do. With a change like this one, I'm sure you'd have plenty of material for a good post.

8. catalystman80

catalystman80 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hmmmm interesting.... thanks for the “news” as I rarely buy new blades these days and hence don’t stay on top of stuff on their website. I personally prefer the look of the old(er) woodsman model myself and enjoy using them. Glad I bought one years ago to have in my permanent arsenal. I know some people will not touch a knife without a finger guard, so I can presumably see what they were going for with the change. But I use mine primarily for carving so it’s never crossed my mind that a guardless design is an issue. And I like it very much as a nice version of my Mora wood carvers.

Its cool to see them doing some pre-orders though, I may be tempted to come out of retirement and order some in the future.

Adventure Sworn likes this.
  9. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How long has the "mora" design been around?? I've got a knife from Iceland based on archaeology going back to the 900's give or take, don't think the ancestors had a problem with an everyday knife and a finger guardless design....not trying to be argumentative.....I agree with the "nice verson" of a mora type knife.....and if some folks don't like it I can understand why......really and if the knife is executed well does not the barrel handle design give the hand some purchase so as not to move forward unnecessarily??? Technique and skill....I'd wager many a viking had scars....but most knew how to handle an every day knife...

Looking forward to a blog post on the redesign...

blue333 and Adventure Sworn like this.
  10. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The new woodsman should be called "The Fat Hiker"

11. Adventure Sworn

Adventure Sworn Cody Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Good questions guys.

The new Woodsman is closer to Mors Kochanski's specifications by adding a continuously curving edge. In order to do this we had to make the blade wider at the base, which in turn created the small spot for your index finger to rest. We also made the handle a bit more comfortable by widening it out a bit.

The old design was heavily inspired by the Mora Classic. I really love the Mora Classic's reputation, in a way it is even more a staple for bushcraft knives than the Woodlore knife. However, it wasn't quite up to Mors specs. But that doesn't make it an inferior design, not by any means. So, just like some of you, the idea of dropping that custom-grade Mora style knife (which was our old Woodsman) bugged me a bit, so I'm strongly considering coming out with a new model, perhaps called the Traditional bushcraft knife, based off of the Mora Classic, even more so than the original Woodsman was.

If we get enough people interested we might go through with this. What do you think? Want the Traditional bushcraft knife as one of our next models? It's your call, we make knives for you. :33:

beacon, B33J, House of Horst and 4 others like this.
  12. the_dude

the_dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i've always admired you guys from afar, but i'm not a fan of heavily contoured handles nor the woodlore style knife. i'd love to see you guys add a traditional barrel-shaped handles to your blades.

edit: the new woodsman looks like a really comfortable, capable knife. i hope my post doesn't sound like a knock against your designs.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  13. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Funny enough you're correct, we're seeing some kickback here, but the old Woodsman definitely wasn't one of our more popular choices. I'd say the newer Woodsman is more popular, based off the sales we have seen, but then again our following as a whole has grown so that may not be entirely true.

EldestFreeman, mjh and Pharmer like this.
  14. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    I was working on that blog post / thread and got swamped with some around the shop work, because we were changing it around at that time. I am going to get back on to it soon and have a cool before / after blog post with info on the Woodsman changes.

15. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cody thanks for your input.....sure I'd like to see a classic traditional barrel handled scandi design.......but you have to make good decisions for your Company and that I understand...us consumers and knife connoisseur's can sure be a picky lot......I do think that folks recognize the AS effort and quality that goes into your knives regardless of the personal preferences of the individual...

16. Chris keating

Chris keating Scout

Blog Posts:
  17. mauiarcher

mauiarcher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Based just on specs and pictures, I would probably opt for the traditional bushcraft knife (old woodsman) over the new design. However I do have one on order and am anxious to give it a try...i always try to reserve judgement and withhold prejudice until I can handle.

I suspect it would be hard to determine the new design is more popular than the original with a high degree of accuracy based on a month of data. I think Cody can put his logo on a terd right now and it would sell. I think the traditional bushcraft knife (old woodsman) has its place and I would definitely order if/When available. Who knows, I may like the new one more but yerning for the former.

18. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would be in for a traditional

mauiarcher likes this.
  19. Wandy

Wandy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in for sure.

mauiarcher likes this.
  20. Wandy

Blog Posts:
    What is the likelihood of making an original version of the classic again? How much interest is required, just curious. I know you guys couldn't be busier and still produce great knives which is awesome.

21. Wandy

Blog Posts:
    How about calling it The Woodsman Classic or would that be too confusing with the classic model? Woodsman Original or Roiginal Woodsman? Old Man Woodsman? Or Ill just scour the secondary market.