Wilderness and Remote First Aid class - March 25 - 26, 2017

Discussion in 'Sandcut Outdoors' started by Sandcut, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Howdy folks,

Sandcut Outdoors is offering another Wilderness and Remote First Aid class for American Red Cross certification. The WRFA class will be held on Saturday and Sunday, March 25 and 26, 2017 from 9 am to 6 pm each day.

An Adult CPR/AED class will be offered on Friday March 24, 2017 from 5 pm to 8:30 pm for those requiring the certification as a prerequisite for the WRFA class or for anyone requiring Adult CPR/AED certification.

The cost for the course is as follows:
    Wilderness and Remote First Aid - $180
    WRFA + Adult CPR/AED* - $225
    Adult CPR/AED - $90

Class prerequisites:
    Must be at least 14 years old
    Must show proof of a current Adult CPR/AED certification *...

The class will be held in Room 135 of the Hoeffner Science and Technology Building, on Normal Street, on the campus of East Stroudsburg University, East Stroudsburg, PA.

To register for the course send an email to
    SandcutOutdoorsLLC@gmail.com
    For questions call Mike at 570)955-8391

IMG_20160616_165444.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'm slightly confused about your asterisk in the OP.

If I am not currently CPR/AED certified, is it $225 for the whole shebang? Meaning I come Friday night for AED/CPR and then Saturday and Sunday for WRFA?

Should we bring lunch or is there a campus dining hall or other place to eat?

Sandcut likes this.
  3. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  4. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

Yep. The $225 covers everything. CPR on Friday evening and both days of WRFA. If you take Wilderness First Aid at REI it's $250 and doesn't include CPR. I try to keep it affordable. I have it broken down with a price for WRFA by itself and CPR by itself because I have had people interested in just taking the CPR course and not the WRFA.

There is a school cafeteria close by, but I'm not sure what access requirements are or when ESU's spring break is. I will find out, though. I will be bringing my lunch. There is also a WAWA convenience store and a decent pizza place about 4-5 blocks away. The student union is also right there and IIRC, there is a cafeteria there as well (which may answer the school cafeteria question).

B33J, alukban and Pastor Chris like this.
  5. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    This looks really good for me for timing, not ready to sign up yet, but I will see if I can secure pulpit supply for that Sunday and hopefully will see you there!

Anyone else.

Oh, and creepy but appropriate meme @Youcantreadinthedark ! lol

6. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hey, Tolkien baddies need memes too.

B33J, Sandcut and Pastor Chris like this.
  7. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    No problemo. Lemme know if you can make it. I have to touch base with a bunch of folks from various Facebook groups who couldn't make it in October, but were interested for one in winter/spring. We need 6 to run the course. You do get a better dynamic with around 10.

B33J and Pastor Chris like this.
  8. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Everything is pretty much ready to go on my end, just sent and emails directed above.

Is there any simple car camping very near by, maybe within about 15 minutes?

I'm thinking it would be fun to camp during this.

Sandcut and B33J like this.
  9. B33J

B33J Liberty or Death Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mike I would like to come up also to renew both my CPR and WRFA. The only issue I would have would be bad weather being snow removal is apart of my job. So I would be a last minute sign up. I will know more as we get closer.

Come on good weather!!

Pastor Chris likes this.
  10. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Responded to via email.

I will spend some time by this weekend to find out if any campgrounds are open in the area as well as see if I can get any group rates at nearby hotels. I'll put that info up here as well as on my FB page.

No problem, man. I understand how that works. I think it's ironic that most folks wouldn't come because of bad weather just because the weather is bad, not because they have to work in it. :)

Just do me a favor, send me your info by email to SandcutOutdoorsLLC@gmail.com and I will get you on the distribution list for this class. I'll waive the deposit requirement for you since I know your circumstances and I know you'll actually drive up this far. Believe it or not, I used you as an example for a lady from south central PA who was reluctant to make the trip. You didn't motivate her sufficiently, though. :)

11. B33J

Blog Posts:
    Email sent, thank you. I didn't mind the drive. :)

Pastor Chris likes this.
  12. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    A couple of items FYI for everyone interested in attending this WRFA class.

A $50 deposit is required to be received by Sandcut Outdoors LLC no later than Friday, March 10 in order to reserve a seat in this class. Please submit a check made out to Sandcut Outdoors LLC or Postal Money Order and mail to 22 Evergreen Drive, Gouldsboro, PA 18424. The balance of payment is required on or prior to the first day of class.

All fees will be refunded if minimum enrollment is not met or if the class is cancelled due to inclement weather and cannot be rescheduled. No refunds will be made after the start date of class.

A minimum of 6 students is required to hold this class in order to properly execute all skills safely. The class is also limited to a maximum of 20 students. Seats are already filling. Please register for the class by emailing your intent to enroll to SandcutOutdoorsLLC@gmail.com as soon as possible to ensure your enrollment.

Once we get into March I will email out individual invoices, waiver forms and list of items to bring.

Should anyone have questions, feel free to shoot me an email or post here.

Thanks,

Mike

13. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very interested, looks to be a Go on my calendar.
    It's about a 2 hr drive for me and I'd be doing the CPR/AED thing as well so I'm also interested in camping options.

In the past I've stayed at Worthington SF in NJ but that campground doesn't open until April 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B33J, Pastor Chris and Sandcut like this.
  14. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

I'm waiting to hear back from one campground and a couple motels in the area about getting discounts for sending them business. I hope to post a list tonight. I have one campground that is open and has hot showers available, just no water to the individual sites. I also got the GM of one hotel, I think it was the Econolodge, to give a 20% discount on the room rates. I think that's (the rate) outstanding!

I'll post more tonight.

If you think you're really interested, shoot me an email and I'll get you on the list.

rsnurkle, B33J, Ratdog and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    You had me at hot showers. Ha. Water I can haul.

I'm putting the roaming gnome to work on motel options but prefer the campground option if possible.

I'm forwarding this to a couple camping buds who are also interested. Thx again.

Sent from my my hammock using whatever had a signal.

B33J, Pastor Chris and Sandcut like this.
  16. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure the KOA in Delaware Water Gap is the one that is open. I just have to see about reduced rates. I didn't get through to the Hemlock Campground in Mt. Pocono. I don't know if they're open. I think that's the one my wife and I used to stay at when we lived outside of Philly.

Let me work some rate reduction voodoo.

And the more the merrier. We have enough folks to run the class as of last weekend. More people actually allows for some cool scenario options.

17. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    This could be a fantastic meet up/ first aid class!

B33J and Sandcut like this.
  18. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    OK, some folks who are travelling from out of town have asked about places to stay. I reached out to various places in the area to see if we could get some reduced rates in exchange for sending business their way. Here's what we found:

For those who want to camp

Delaware Water Gap KOA - http://koa.com/campgrounds/delaware-water-gap/
    Open year ‘round. Heated bathrooms. Hot water/showers.
    Mention that you’re taking a WFA class with Sandcut Outdoors and they will give reduced rates
    For cabins – 10%. For tent sites – owner has to get back to me yet. Check back here.

Otter Lake Campground - http://otterlake.com/
    Open year ‘round. Heated bathrooms. Hot water/showers.
    Owner hasn’t gotten back to me on reduced rates.
    This site is a little further away, but my wife stayed with her sister there once and says it’s nice.

For those who want a motel

Pocono Budget Inn - http://www.poconobudgetinn.com/
    Mention that you are taking a WFA class at East Stroudsburg University and ask for the ESU student rate. This rate is $63-$69 depending on the room and is the flat rate contracted with the University. Depending on the season, this almost half price.

Super 8 East Stroudsburg - https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/super-8/east-stroudsburg-pennsylvania/super-8-stroudsburg/overview?CID=LC:SE:20160927:Rio:Local
    Mention that you’re taking a WFA class with Sandcut Outdoors at ESU and ask the negotiated discount of 20%.

For those wanting a Bed and Breakfast

Holtz House - http://holtzhousebandb.com/
    This is a cute little B&B in my town run by my neighbor, Kris. Reduced rates will vary based on which room you rent. Just mention that you’re taking a class with Mike from Sandcut Outdoors. This B&B is about 25 minutes away (about ½ mile from my house), but Gouldsboro is a cute little town.

If you have any issues getting the reduced rates when you make your reservations let me know and I’ll get in touch with the manager.

There are other places in the area to stay. These are the ones that were willing to negotiate. I hope this helps find you someplace to stay and helps keep the cost down.

19. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    That is fantastic!

20. B33J

Blog Posts:
    Mike you are the MAN!!

Sandcut likes this.
  21. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking of staying at the Super 8, but if others wanted to split at cabin at KOA that could be fun.

Ratdog, Sandcut and B33J like this.
  22. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering if that might not happen. That would be pretty cool!

Pastor Chris likes this.
  23. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm in and it looks like my 2 buds are as well. 2 of us need the CPR cert, one does not.

@Pastor Chris we'd be interested in splitting a campsite/cabin as well. Beats sweeping up spoon carving chips at the Econolodge. Ha.

Since we haven't met yet, @pilsburythrowboy12 would be one of my BCUSA references. Feel free to PM him, he's got a lock on the kind of people I am.

@Sandcut thanks for making this happen, the opportunity to take the course is great enough but the opportunity to take it with like minded people is outstanding. Love this site.

24. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Who will vouch for Ron?! LOL

I kind of resigned myself to a motel, because the price is pretty good, but I hear you about the spoon carving, they probably don't take kindly to campfires in the room either.

I was looking at the cabins, and they are not that much cheaper.

A campsite might be fun, but depends upon the weather, I know that sounds wimpy, but with taking a class during the day I'd want to be comfortable and clean.

Lets ponder things a bit ask see where we wind up.

Really looking forward to meeting you guys!

B33J, Ratdog and pilsburythrowboy12 like this.
  25. pilsburythrowboy12

pilsburythrowboy12 Guide

Blog Posts:
    This aforementioned name dropper is a terrible driver of 4 wheeled vehicles and an even worse fisherman who is not to be trusted with anything involving animal balloons or candy bars. He is otherwise harmless to those who openly carry police grade pepper spray. End of assessment.

B33J, Backyard, Sandcut and 2 others like this.
  26. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    I feel better now.

B33J, Backyard, Ratdog and 1 other person like this.
  27. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Sounds great, Ratdog! Shoot me an email with names and email addresses and I'll send out some directions for deposits and get you on the distribution list.

I need to double check with some folks outside BCUSA to confirm that they're in tomorrow. We are quickly approaching a full class.

Ratdog, B33J and Pastor Chris like this.
  28. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    OK. We appear to currently have 11 definites, 1 probable and 1 possible signed up for this class, so the class is filling up quickly.

If you haven't already contacted me to register, consider doing so to ensure a seat in the class. Folks have been signing up in groups of 3 and 4, so we could max out the class with only a couple more groups.

Ratdog, B33J and Pastor Chris like this.
  29. B33J

Blog Posts:
    This is gearing up to be a great meet and class!

Ratdog, Pastor Chris and Sandcut like this.
  30. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, my two hadrwoodsmen, die hard hammock camping buds are opting to go the motel route as well. Something about cleanliness, breaking camp early, etc.

The die have been cast. Ah well.

I'm bringing spoon carving knives anyway, if for no other reason than to simulate laceration and tendon slicing scenarios.

Pastor Chris and Sandcut like this.
  31. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    You'll be more comfortable. Late March can be pretty snotty around here. It's not uncommon to get snow clear up until Mother's Day.

And fortunately, we cover bleeding and soft tissue injuries on the first day. :D

Pastor Chris likes this.
  32. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Bumping this up to the top with an FYI for anyone who is still debating on coming. We only have five seats left as of yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back from a few people on Facebook. If you're thinking about taking the plunge, now is the time.

33. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Just booked a room at the Super 8!

34. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I'm getting excited for this class!

Backyard, B33J and Pastor Chris like this.
  35. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Me too! A great class for sure, but to take it with other bcusa members is a great bonus!

Backyard and B33J like this.
  36. B33J

Blog Posts:
    Booked my room today! I'm ready.

Sandcut and Pastor Chris like this.
  37. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    LOL! I'm watching the weather forecast and wondering if we're going to get a late season snow storm to keep you home.

38. B33J

Blog Posts:
    I sure hope not, lol

Pastor Chris and Sandcut like this.
  39. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just booked at the Super 8 as well. Bringing a camp chair for some carving in the evening. We can build a really small fire in the ashtray.

Sandcut and Pastor Chris like this.
  40. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Excellent! Maybe I'll bring my Kelly Kettle and we can make tea with the shavings.

Ill bring some green black birch.

Backyard and Sandcut like this.
  41. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to believe that it's going to be 5°F tomorrow night and almost 60°F on Saturday. Looks like a chance for rain all weekend, so makensure you bring rain gear and extra clothes. We may get wet during outdoor skills sessions.

Also, we still have a metric buttload of snow on the ground.

Already started gathering my gear together.

Pastor Chris likes this.
  42. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Is anyone else going for the Friday CPR/AED class? I am and am staying at the Super 8

I'm bringing some carving stuff with me for the parking lot!

Sandcut likes this.
  43. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I think all but two or three of the folks in the WRFA class will also be in the CPR class Friday night, so there should be ample people to hang out with. Plus, if folks want to hang out afterward, I can direct you all to the old dive bar that I used to inhabit during grad school. It ain't much, but I liked it.

BTW, my basement is a pile of debris as I've been organizing all my gear from various classes and workshops to get all the gear together. I spent a fair amount of time this afternoon in Dollar General looking through the makeup section in order to find just the right colors of makeup for moulage. Personally I prefer LA Looks over Mabelline for that "Devil-may-care, hypovolemic shock" look. :)

44. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'll be at the CPR Class and staying at the same hotel. I'll have a carving WIP and a spoon blank with me. Leaving my axe at home.

Pastor Chris likes this.
  45. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    I have a wagon, so I'm bringing a small log for a chopping block and some green wood with me for carving!

Backyard likes this.
  46. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    I just confirmed my reservation at the Super 8 with Yolanda, who is delightful. Looking forward to this!

47. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just finished axing out a blank in Cherry for Jack and Black Walnut for myself. Hopefully it will be dry enough to enjoy sitting outside.

48. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    This class is amazing and @Sandcut is an incredible instructor. I am in awe of the skills we are learning and practicing. Well worth the time and expense and I heartily recommend it.

Sandcut is pretty handy with the makeup too for the practical exercises. That's a little strange. Lol

More tomorrow.

One of the most valuable things is learning about the gaps in my med kits and also how to use regularly carried items in emergency situations. I guess that's two.

49. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

Thanks for the praise, Chris. It's appreciated.

As far as the makeup goes, don't ask, don't tell. :)

Be ready. Today's gonna be cold and wet.

50. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    OK, that was amazing. Incredible amounts of material and so focused on what we do. @Sandcut 's personal experiences in his profession and as a well known member here add so much color and direct application.

The field exercises were very well done and really help in the learning process. Well worth the time and money.

I have more supplies to buy!

If you think you are carrying enough rolled and flat gauze, you are wrong.

[​IMG]FIRST AID CLASS by Chris Scrivens, on Flickr

rsnurkle, Backyard, GreenFrog and 3 others like this.