Wilderness and Remote First Aid - October 8-9, 2016 East Stroudsburg, PA

Discussion in 'Sandcut Outdoors' started by Sandcut, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    OK, bushcrafters. After many months of all the administration that goes into building a company, it's time to PLAY!

I'm happy to announce that I just signed the contract today that allows me to offer my Wilderness and Remote First Aid class for the first time here at BCUSA. I'm doubly happy because I get to offer it on the campus of my alma mater, East Stroudsburg University of PA. So here's the specifics.

WRFA - Saturday and Sunday, October 8-9, 2016 9 am to 6 pm each day
    Adult CPR/AED - Friday, October 7, 2016 5 pm to 8:30 pm * (Adult CPR/AED is a prerequisite for WRFA. This course is available for those that need it prior to entering the WRFA course or to anyone who needs it for certification) Both classes will receive certification from the American Red Cross. Both certifications are for two years.

Cost
    WRFA - $180
    WRFA + CPR/AED - $225
    Adult CPR/AED - $90

Not to toot my own horn, but this is the best price that I've seen for this class on the east coast. WFA at the nearest REI is $250 without CPR and I've worked with summer camps who previously paid as much as $450/person at other facilities. My goal is to offer high quality training at rates that are affordable for the average outdoorsman/woman. I'd rather make less money/person and teach more people. I know what it's like to have to scrape together the money to take a course like this. So, hopefully you all think that the price is reasonable and fair. I haven't had any complaints so far.

Where
    East Stroudsburg University of PA
    Hoeffner Science and Technology Bldg.
    Room 136

Course prerequisites
    Must be 14 years old
    Must have current Adult CPR/AED certification*

If you have kids that are into scouting or camping, consider bringing them along. I had my younger daughter assist me teaching this to some summer camps back in June. She sat through it twice in one week. If she was old enough, I not only would have certified her for the course, I would have certified her as an assistant instructor. Sadly, she's only 13 and you need to be 14 for WRFA and 17 for WRFA Assistant Instructor. She really enjoyed the class in addition to helping dad.

We need a minimum of 6 students to hold the class due to skills requirements.
    Class size will be limited to 12 students (+/- depending on interest)

How to register
    Email me at sandcutoutdoorsllc@gmail.com and let me know how many seat to hold for you along with name, age, email address, and phone number.

A $50 nonreturnable deposit will be required by September 30th to reserve a seat. Payment in fill will be required at the beginning of class. 100% guaranteed refund if there is a need to cancel the class due to weather or any issues on my end. I think that seems fair.

This is a fantastic course, made all the better by energetic, enthusiastic students. I can personally testify that the skills learned in this class are useful.

If you're interested in checking out any of my previous courses, feel free to check out my Facebook page for Sandcut Outdoors. There's plenty of photos from the other courses that I taught earlier this summer.

That's it for now. I will update the thread as it progresses.

I hope to see some of you there.

Mike

PS. If anybody is interested, the first weekend of October in the Poconos is an absolutely gorgeous time of year and is usually near the beginning of the peak leaf-peeper season. If anyone is interested in staying the weekend and needs input on camping or hotels in the area, feel free to ask. I'll try to direct you as best as I can. ML

MichaelBear, jerome, B33J and 5 others like this.
  2. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking about this class a lot lately. We've been discussing it over on a closed Facebook group for Red Cross instructors. It really should be mostly identified as a Remote First Aid class moreso than a Wilderness First Aid class as the skills and mindset learned are not just geared toward use in the wilderness. The curriculum is intented for any site in which access to EMS is greater than 30-60 minutes. For some of us, we don't live in the wilderness, but we do live further out than 30 minutes from EMS. For instance, where I live in northeastern PA, we are approximately 50 minutes from the State Police barracks that covers our town. We do have an ambulance squad in town, but just one ambulance. If it is out on a call, the next ambulance is no less than 15 miles away. If the ambulance is at the nearest hospital finishing an earlier call, it's almost 40 minutes away. Some areas are even further away.

I personally think the wilderness part of the name is kept for sex appeal. I think it gives misleading expectations to the students that they'll be lowering patients from cliffs in Stokes baskets. The reality is that the skills learned are less sexy, but far more useful.

MichaelBear and rsnurkle like this.
  3. basher1981

basher1981 Adventure is out there!!! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Why is everything this weekend.... Of course its the weekend I am away in October for some R&R..... this and Gosstoberfest the same weekend

Sandcut likes this.
  4. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I saw a post from another member on Facebook about Gossoberfest a few hours after I booked the spot at the University. C'est la vie.

The main reason that I chose this weekend is because it is usually peak leaf peeper weekend, so anyone wanting to camp out would have nice weather and beautiful scenery. Any later and the weather starts getting squirrely here on the plateau.

This class constitutes R&R, I think. ;)

rsnurkle likes this.
  5. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Bumping this thread.

We're starting to get some folks signing up.

IAOutdoors and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  6. B33J

B33J Liberty or Death Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is awesome Mike, very happy for you! Will you be doing any classes for 2017? I would like to get re-certified as my mine expires this coming March.

Sandcut likes this.
  7. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I would like to offer a public course each October and March/April. Whether there's enough folks out there to fill all of those courses remains to be seen. Keep tuned in here and on my Facebook page as we get closer to late winter. I will likely offer then.

8. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Bumping this for weekend traffic.

alukban likes this.
  9. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    We're a little less than a month out from class. We could still use a few people if you're interested.

alukban likes this.
  10. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    OK, we're one week oit from class. We had a few folks back out of class due to other holiday weekend obligations, so we have a few seats open up. As such, I'm keeping registration for the class open until Monday night, October 5th. Email me at SandcutOutdoorsLLC@gmail.com to enroll and reserve a seat.

11. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Lamentably I had to pull the plug on this weekend's class. Out of nine people who enrolled, seven had to back out. As such, I cancelled this class.

I'm waiting on the University to get back to me with available dates for weekends in February and March to offer the course early in 2017.

Anyone interested in attending the winter class can email me at SandcutOutdoorsLLC@gmail.com and I can put you on an email distribution list and keep you in the loop to notify everyone when the next class gets scheduled.