Wilderness Logics

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by Red Wing, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just wanted to give a heads up to those trying to improve their hammock gear at a good cost.

I just bought a lazy slug tube from these guys (Marty) but perusing their site I decided to check their budget quilts. BUD quilts.

I'm floored by the value here. 850/800 blend. .95oz fab. Vertical baffles. SEWN FOOTBOX IS STANDARD. That's a 30.00 add on with other vendors.

Their 25oz winter TQ is.... 139.95!

That's an insane value. I'm going to pick one up soon but thought I'd share in case anyone is trying to get the most out of their dime and have limited dimes like myself.

Custom made IN North Carolina

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Skruffy, SC864, designtom and 6 others like this.
  2. CamoNut

CamoNut Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yep, Marty is great! Fast shipper too! I have ordered more than half a dozen times from him. I will order again in the future too!

SC864, Kreger and Red Wing like this.
  3. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have their 20 degree BUD underquilt (my Christmas present). It is excellent gear, and there's really nothing "budget" about it.

SC864, Kreger and Red Wing like this.
  4. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    Well I got to see one of these in person on a trip this weekend and its sold me. I dont think I'd get the fleece chin bib but it seemed like a nice feature.

SC864 likes this.
  5. Newtown Mark

Newtown Mark Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads-up. I looked at their site, good looking gear and reasonable prices.

Red Wing likes this.
  6. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is the first I've head of this thing but I can see both some useful ideas and negative ones for myself. Is the 1.2 ripstop breathable and water resistant like argon 65 or 90 ? I like the idea of being able to keep bugs out of my underquilt when not in use but wonder about it letting the moisture from the last trip or night of use evaporate. Of course I always air mine out after a trip but this is a "Lazy Slug" for lazy people lol. Also, how noisy is it when it's hanging under you as an UG protector if it gets windy ? I could never bring myself to use it as intended and pack quilts and all into my pack. Guess I'm not lazy enough lol.

I have purchased some cooking gear from them in the past and was not dissatisfied in any way. However looking at their premium underquilts (0° rated) they fall short on fill by as much as six ounces (850/800 with 50/50 mix) and cost more than other cottage vendors that offer more options for a quilt of the same rating using 100% 900 fill. The reason that other vendors charge $30 or so for the sewn foot box is because they are usually "Hotboxes" meaning that additional insulation is included. The BUD topquilt requires you to pay extra to achieve the same thing as it only comes with a standard foot box originally. They are by no means overpriced for premium stuff in general but if you wanted more options (such as a draft collar) with more included insulation at the same rating and price point on the premium quilts you could do better. Their BUD stuff ain't too bad for the budget minded but I wouldn't try to push the rating. Simply put you pay for what you get when it comes to down insulation.

7. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    I disagree, I believe you pay for names or rep at a certain point.

By that measure EE is better than HG and I'd disagree with that safely.

This is just a heads up. If youd like to buy it, cool, if not, cool. I remember when Warbonnet and Jack's were all you had. Adam was making quilts in his garage trying to explain this leg shelf idea he had to me.

WL came along right after. 6, 7 years of business, hes got as solid a rep as you can have.

Just think this wasn't the right place to write a book about him being cheap in quality and price.

If youd like to PM me with your opinions feels free

I'm formerly Slo on HF, member since 2010.

8. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was just giving an honest objective opinion on the dollar value of getting what you pay for on average compared to some other venders. I'm also a HF member under the same name. Two paragraphs isn't too long I thought and he nor his stuff is "cheap" or "cheaply made". I do like their gear. I'll send you a pm.