Wind Storm-27 Hours with No Power

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by LostViking, May 6, 2018.

1. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On Friday afternoon we had some big weather roll through.
    I was actually in the woods when it rolled up. I bailed it back home.

High winds, lightning, and some of the biggest hail I've seen east of the Mississippi.
    Right around 6:00PM the power dropped. It was off until around 9:30 last night.

If you have to lose power. This is a good time of the year for it to happen.

We had advance warning of the impending storm. Severe T-Storm warning and a Tornado watch.

So I took appropriate actions.
    I filled the tub for water to flush the toilet.
    Filled the coffee pot for Saturday morning. Filled the tea kettle, and filled some spare vessels with water.We have water stocked in the pantry, and several quality springs close by. But this keeps our stock for real emergencies. And is more convenient than chasing spring water.

This was not a life altering event for us. Nor should it have been. I use these small bumps in the road as test cases, and training exercises.

Rule #1
    You can't always believe what the power company tells you.
    A quick check of their Outage Central Page indicated power to be restored by 9:30 Friday night. With that news we did not take further prep action.

Sure enough, right around 9:30 the power came back on. Then it blinked out again. Then it came pack on, and blinked out again. Then on one last time and goonzo. I call it the "Electric 3 Strike Rule" If it blinks on and off three times . You're out.

Friday night we just did Brats and Beans on my Optimus Crux Stove in the kitchen. There was too much rock & roll to cook outdoors.

I have LED Light Switch Lights in all the rooms. So when the power drops. As it often does here. You just flick a different switch and go on about your business. I suspended another small down firing camp light so the bride could read her book. We go to bed early and get up early so that's what we did.

With still no power on Saturday morning. Coffee and breakfast were made on the Coleman 2 burner propane fired camp stove. A basic Ham, Egg & Cheese scramble with rye toast. Toast courtesey of the Coulighan's Top of the burner toaster.

Living in a place nicknamed "The Forzen Hell of New York" does have certain advantages. I took some canning and soup pots up on my hill, and filled them with snow. As well as my small beer cooler. No sense in suffering needlessly.

Breakfast was late, so lunch was fruit and nuts. Dinner was a steak and potatoes in the coals. Sorry no pictures of this one.

My lax actions, assuming we would have power pack in a few hours. Allowed some meat in out kitchen freezer to thaw some. Mostly bacon and sausage. And some English muffinis I had froze the week before. Nothing was going to spoil. Because everything was being cooled by melting snow.

This is just another example of why canning is so important as a long tem prepping solution.
    The meat we have canned in our pantry remained uneffected.

This morning. I cooked up the bacon and sausage. We had sausage and eggs for breakfast. The remaining sausage and bacon will be tossed back in the freezer to be eaten as individual servings as needed.

The bride had brought home some meat on Thursday night. A Lo don Broil, some hot and sweet Sausage, and a package of Chicken Breasts. These were stuffed in a cooler with snow. At this point in the season the snow is the consistency of shaves ice. So it cool well and lasts decent.

We made a list of what we wanted out of the fridge before we opened it. So as not to lose any more cold than necessary. When we pulled out what we needed I shoved a few post of snow in there as cooling. I really widh I had an old school Ice box. They just made so much sense.

Overall the whole event was low drama. We sat by a fire like we usually do. We cooked on a fire like we do often.

We have an actual outhouse. But we had more than enough water stored in the bathtub for flushing our regular toilet.

I'll try and post up a few photos here in the next few days.

backlasher, Gumbi, Oni and 16 others like this.
  2. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Neat!

LostViking and blind & lost like this.
  3. thisjohn

thisjohn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks a lot for the report and the tips. I hope more read and heed these words.

4. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Yellow snow, and Moose Poop rules apply,
    [​IMG]

5. Kreger

Kreger Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very well thought out. Good exercise, I believe I will start preparing a little better when we get big storms. My family always just rides it out in the basement. Although we do not usually lose power that often or for that long.

LostViking, rsnurkle and blind & lost like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was going to point out that if you got hail ,it can be scooped up lie snow and put in the fridge to help support the cold .
    The ICE box goes back over 100 years .
    Glad you had the situation under control .

7. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's crazy. Glad you're ok. We got hail in Syracuse from that storm but I slept through it apparently. First I have read about power outages though.

8. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Our news sucks.

9. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Another nudge in my thought process that hurricane season starts in 26 days. Thanks for the reminder.

LostViking likes this.
  10. wildbill50

wildbill50 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Usually, when I lose power it is 100 degrees outside with 85 at night. The heat creates a whole different set of problems. Food spoils much faster. Modern homes in the south are designed for AC. They are easy to heat but difficult to cool without power.

11. LostViking

Blog Posts:
  12. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Different Areas, different problems. It's always interesting to see and hear what challenges other people face.

We have a high of 67F today. Don't even own an AC Unit. Two box fans set up in a High/Low, In/Out position do the job. And most of the time we don't even need them just open the windows.

On the other side of the coin. We had 4" of snow on Sunday. Winter is when I get nervous. When it minus 32F and the power drops.

On the up side in the winter the food can just go on the porch. Not much melts when it's -10.

Modern homes pretty much blow. Sure they are more comfortable when the grid is up. But when it goes down. They are a liability.

In the old days if you had a spring or a hand pum well, you had water. And even if you didn't have central heat. What you had worked without electric.

The was almost always a root cellar or cool storage. Sure we have gained anlot. But in true Yin/Yang Fashion. We have given up an equal amount on the other side.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    backlasher and Oakenhart like this.
  13. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    A little bit of pre storm prep goes a long way. Like filling the tub. If the juice goes out it really helps. If it doesn't pull the drain plug or water the garden with it.

Same with pouring off some drinking water.

Candles, batteries, Kersene lamps. All relatively cheap. All serve many purposes.

I'm a bit of a fanatic about keeping gas tanks full. Or at the very least above half. Hurricanes are a different animal. Sometimes you just have to leave.

The Jeep is set up to allow us to comminucate with the outside world. Even my Can Am Outlander is set up so I can charge batteries, run internet, and communicate if necessary.

Most of the time I revel in the quiet solitude. But if something went hot. It would be nice to monitor the situation. My Jetpack was charged in the Jeep for Internet connectivity.

We don't own cell phones, so charging them wasn't an issue.

14. Daveboone

Daveboone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We are just north of Oneida Lake, the power was out almost 24 hrs for us, but just further north there were some folks on secluded roads w/o for almost 3 days. It didn't bother us much. I fired up our generator for the pellet stove and a couple lights. To be on the safe side, I have a big cable lock with the generator, and secured it to the overhead door frame...driving the neighbotrhood, it was the only generator I heard. We are on town water, which has a back up generator, so no problem. The fridge and freezer are fine for a bit, but I plugged the fridge in after about 6 hrs to be sure.It was a reminder to keep the spare gas cans filled. We have propane stove and a propane fire place too. I collect antique Dietz Lanterns, and keep 4 or so fueled up for safe, reliable emergency lighting. Lots of folks made a big deal of it, but it didn't really affect us in the least ( I can do wihout the TV, etc).

LostViking and Midwest.Bushlore like this.