Winter camouflage question

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Moondog55, Jul 11, 2018.

?

Wich is the best overall block colour for winter camouflage?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2018.
  1. Polar Bear Cream

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Brilliant White

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Pale Grey

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Headed back up to ski soon and I need a new windshirt [ the Arktis is too breathable when the activity level is only moderate] and I am going to sew one up with my beloveds grudging help.
    I like the idea of being able to use this hunting as well as for skiing so I'll make the pullover in a double layer.
    So what is better for a block colour in winter, white or polar bear cream or very pale silvery grey?
    I have a few metres of Polar Bear cream and pale grey but I can go and get some white Ripstop cheaply enough
    Other layer will be Oz-Cam arid as that is the best colour combination locally and 2 layers of 100CFM fabric will be giving me the wind resistance and breathability I need at only a 120 gram weight penalty
    Also DIY will allow a kangaroo pocket which few commercial windshirts have
    So
    Polar Bear Cream ?
    OR
    Brilliant White?
    OR
    Pale Grey?
    All three can be altered easily enough with a permanent marker if a diffuse or minimal break-up pattern was needed

2. Zoev

Zoev Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I've always found a light grey with green splotches (mix with the conifers) works well in forest. Or light grey with tan-ish splotches for desert. It's not perfect as pure white camo. But I've found that white camo when mixed with exertion leads to it becoming filthy pretty quickly and standing out quite a bit more than a dirtied grey.

Sosteve, Haggis, camp casey and 3 others like this.
  3. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Round here it is subdued colors like browns and tans. joe

Sosteve, Haggis, camp casey and 3 others like this.
  4. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    I would go with a grey coloration. A brilliant white would be my second choice but if going with white add some kind of break up pattern, even if just a little bit. Like @Zoev brought up the white will get dingy and lose its luster pretty quickly.

Sosteve, Haggis, Primordial and 2 others like this.
  5. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    White material with green splotches AKA 'Where Eagles Dare' WWII winter pattern camouflage. I created a similar effective pattern a while ago, using a old British issue Arctic Warfare Cadre white snow suit & an old paint brush. The bristles splayed with a rubber band like a shaving brush, dabbed firstly to remove excess paint onto a rag, then when satisfied with the pattern, paint dab onto the material using matt green paint. BTW practice this before applying to the actual garment. :)
    Regards
    David

West German winter smock & trousers.

Image 1.jpg

Sosteve, GrayOwl, THRsucks and 14 others like this.
  6. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I spend a lot of time hunting and moving around in the snow where I live. I have gravitated towards a mix of gray and white but don't count out good 'ole plain white, especially if you will be in open country. When I'm hunting brushy areas I think a snow camo with a lot of stick like patterns works well too. Try to match the environment you'll spend the most time in.

100_1548.JPG

100_0857.JPG

100_0893.JPG
    100_0918.JPG

100_0827.JPG

100_1677 (1).jpg

BTW, how are the Bulldogs doing this year?

Sosteve, J. Pierce, THRsucks and 15 others like this.
  7. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    I'd also like to add this tip: Watch out when you wash your snow camo. Don't use detergents that have fabric brighteners because they make the garment reflect UV light, and white snow camo reflecting UV light will look and glow purple against a snowy back drop. This is especially true in a low light situation.

Sosteve, DavidJAFO, wingnuts and 7 others like this.
  8. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a Cats follower.
    Bulldogs are not doing so well but they did beat us on our last meeting.
    All commercial and old military winter patterns are far to busy for Australian snow conditions, so a plain colour should work best with just minimal additions so I'm not a hole in the background.
    The Oz-Cam fabric I have here is just a tad porous for a windshirt above the snowline so I was simply going to make a double layer for windproofing. Snow camouflage is a secondary consideration and mainly for my own fun.
    I take on board the laundry comments usually using Sportwash on my bush clothing

Sosteve, DavidJAFO, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  9. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have no experience with this issue (all my snow wear colours are chosen specifically to be hi-viz, for DH skiing), but I'm curious.... Wouldn't snow reflect UV intensely, making a UV reflective white/semi-white outer layer a desirable trait, when considering the application of being camouflaged from wildlife?

Sosteve, DavidJAFO and central joe like this.
  10. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    4673DC53-412E-4F75-BB27-15915E6B4A01.png Cheap military coverups with some spray paint.

Sorry. Grabbed a photo off a video.

Definitely go with gray if you aren’t hunting in snow.

11. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    I noticed when wearing white cotton especially, it will glow purple against the snow when washed with a fabric brightener, thus making you stand out in low light conditions. I have never encountered this problem with most synthetics or wool

Sosteve, Haggis, JeffG and 2 others like this.
  12. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only use baking soda as a detergent and as a scent eliminator for my hunting clothes. I’ve had deer walk within 5 yards of me.

Sosteve, DavidJAFO, Haggis and 4 others like this.
  13. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have an old US surplus cotton overwhite top it's only a Medium size tho so a little short. But i washed it some years ago combined with some other clothing [ yes a dumb stoopid mistake I know] and it took on a pale greeny overtone that now will not wash out; and because it is 50% nylon I don't want to add any bleach to the soak and wash.
    It is heavy tho and my reason for wanting nylon is to get the weight in the pack down

14. Herman30

Herman30 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Finnish camo M05 would be best.

[​IMG]

Sosteve, Gruxxx, Staleym and 9 others like this.
  15. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    It may or it might not Herman. It doesn't answer my initial question tho. Our conditions are such that our fellers mainly wear plain white trousers and our usual Oz-cam tops. I know that Australia has developed a winter Oz-Cam on a white background but I have never seen an article of gear or clothing made up in it

Sosteve and Haggis like this.
  16. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have always thought a snow poncho would be best.
    To me it seems like dedicated full snow camo outfits best pertain to stalk hunting and movement.
    Standard camo will work better in a tree stand against the tree, you can usually find a bush or something on the ground to hide near.
    Dark arms and legs won’t look human to animals if they are still.

17. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some while ago I did see some snow camouflage ponchos that were reversible. White on one side and a blotch pattern on the other; perhaps the new German ones or the Swiss.
    What-ever you do don't buy the UL windshirts from Arktis unless you are prepared to replace the zipper, the #3 UL zipper simply doesn't work if you are wearing even LW gloves and they didn't put any stiffening on the backer so the fabric gets easily jammed up and stuck, a waste of $40- IMO

Sosteve, Keithturkjr and Haggis like this.
  18. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    No because most animals seem to be able to actually see UV wavelengths to some degree, you become a bright beacon against a soft background, the high albedo of snow reflects all wavelengths equally. It's a bit like black being a hole in the night that stands out

Sosteve, Haggis and Primordial like this.
  19. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like bright white, with a breakup pattern. Just as important is how you care for it. I only use Borax and baking soda to wash hunting clothes....nothing else. The UV brighteners in commercial laundry detergent are really detrimental to hunting concealment.

Sosteve, Haggis and Primordial like this.
  20. Ith

Ith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello,

If you want best camouflage : When you have not a "full suit" it's better to have only a snow camo pant/trousers than a snow camo jacket/smock. Habitually you have more snow on the floor than on the tree, and human form (two legs) must be broken first. But wearing only a white top is nice if you want only hiking (less warm with the sun in snow field).

Old swedish cotton smock were a little "green white". Perharps it was for camouflage or only a chemical treatment to protect them? but In the old time it was difficult to have a really white cotton cloth.

21. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can see the UV brightened clothing. Apparently most people can't, but I sure can. My whole life, I always wondered why my clothes would glow in the dark. Even the darkest blue jeans seemed to have a sort of black light effect in low light. Only a few years ago did I find out why. Now I only wash clothes in non-UV-brightener detergent or even dish soap (go easy on the dish soap, or it will overflow the washer with suds!). Now, even my lightest khaki clothes are as dark as everything else when the sun goes down. ;)

Sosteve, JeffG and Haggis like this.
  22. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pay attention to the wind, don’t move and you’ll be just fine in most instances. When calling coyotes in snow, it’s very helpful to wear all white or white with light gray breakup, as the coyote won’t be as suspicious of your outline and you might get away with a slight movement without getting busted. Deer hunting, seeing one is the hard part of deer hunting.

Having a black/brown rifle is fine as long as you don’t move it - I’ve had coyotes spot my rifle movement 50/75 yards out and some kicked it into overdrive getting out of Dodge and others just stopped to figure things out - doesn’t take them long to figure.:4: All white in snow country is never a bad idea.

As a kid we use to drive roads where the farmer plowed his fields in the fall. If the field was wind sweep and mostly bare, we would shoot any large white spot and probably 20% of the time we got a jackrabbit and back then you could sell them to mink ranchers for $0.50 a piece, which was good money then. In about 4 or 5 weeks coyotes should be worth about $40/$45 a piece in the raw for a decent pelt, around here, $20/25 not prime. Pays for your gas, lithium batteries and maybe supper with the war department.

Sosteve likes this.
  23. Trojan

Trojan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There is little snow where I am and snow camo is expensive in the UK. So I bought a 1970s army over jacket to wear over my top half. Its nylon so not breathable.

Sosteve likes this.
  24. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought and use a few of the older German snow camo "ponchos", they are light weight, quiet, and work great in the forest. Usually wear dark pants underneath.

This was from last winter, it was -12*F but a buddy and I were determined to hunt lions
    [​IMG]

This one is not my photo but gives a better idea how it works in the snow.

[​IMG]

Sosteve, GrayOwl, THRsucks and 4 others like this.
  25. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That’s true for anything worn hunting! Deer can see into the uv range and you show up with a blue glow around you!

Sosteve and Primordial like this.
  26. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    Särmä TST snow cammo, I have seen similar during the Joint Warrior exercises. This is a major bi-annual NATO multi-national military exercise which takes place in the United Kingdom, predominately in north west Scotland. Maybe need to start trading again with these guys when they come ashore. :) LOL
    Regards
    David

[​IMG]

27. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Couple thoughts:
    1. I wash all my hunting clothes, and almost all of my non-hunting outerwear in Sport Wash.
    2. I watched the movie Wind River last night, and in addition to being a very good flick it had many scenes showing snow camo in use. I recommend it.

28. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have never been much for snow camo. Then again, i don't predator hunt.

Sosteve likes this.
  29. GrayOwl

GrayOwl Tracker

Blog Posts:

Awesome, that's what I use as well. Great piece of kit and doubles as a temporary hunting ground blind cover as well.
    20181111_091550.jpg

Sosteve and Blackhillz like this.
  30. pb0201

pb0201 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Primordial.nice posts.what are the camo trouser in the last photo of your post? I like

Sosteve and Primordial like this.
  31. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A little off topic maybe;
    After fourteen days in the field your winter camo will be all of the above choises.

[​IMG]

32. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Isn't that when you turn them inside out?