Winter camping tent

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Quinlan, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Quinlan

Quinlan BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

I am planning to do some winter camping this year. I thought it a good idea to start from the most essential part of equipment which to my thinking is the tent - at least for the winter season.

I am looking at reasonable military surplus options such as this DUTCH ARMY 2 MAN DPM CAMO TENT: http://www.militarymart.co.uk/dutch-army-2-man-dpm-camo-tent.html.

Is this a good option? Are there other similar options at this price range?

Regards,

Christos

mugsy, gohammergo, Boomstick and 2 others like this.
  2. Huey

Huey The Lurker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a HUGE fan of winter camping! The tent I use most are my North Face Moraine 23. Good ventilation for condensation, strong three pole design that stays up while heavy snow is coming down and nice large vestibule for my wet boots.

If you are worried about prices, I think a good sleeping bag/bivy is more important and find a tent that you can use all year. ...but that's just me.

Something you will have to learn about for winter camping is stakes for your tent. Frozen ground = bent stakes. There are other methods that you will have to see what works for your ground and snow amount (snow anchors). Crap I am still learning what works best for me.

Attached Files:

3. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,
    Thanks for the reply and the photo. A good sleeping bag was going to be my next point of interest. It is my understanding that no matter how expensive the tent, if a stove isn't used indoors, the tent space will not keep you warm. A good sleeping bag and some insulation from the ground will, though. That's why I was aiming at a low price tent which at the very least will be waterproof and if snow is on the menu will stand its ground.

I have almost no experience in winter camping, so double thanks for pointing out the hard ground/stakes issue.:)

Regards,

Christos

gohammergo likes this.
  4. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    i switched to 3/8 x 12 galvanized nails, they laugh at frozed or rocky ground

5. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    frozen not frozed,

gohammergo and Carbonmated like this.
  6. Luzster

Luzster They call me... Spoony. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a really good price on that tent. I think the only way this is a two man tent is if the two men are REALLY comfortable with each other being that the tent is 3ft wide. If you are looking at being the only person in the tent, might want to find one maybe a bit smaller. If the tent is made correctly, your body heat will also help keep the tent warmer than the outside.

+1 on the spikes and +1 on the sleeping bag/bivvy.

Does that tent have 'tub' for the bottom? Also want to look at a pad/ground sheet for it as well. it'll help with any potential twigs/rocks/etc that could rip/tear the tent and will also and a bit of a thermal layer between the bottom of your tent and the snow/frozen ground.

gohammergo and Quinlan like this.
  7. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have a feeling that tent is going to be a single wall tent. A single wall tent is going to condensate like crazy in the winter, and that condensation will freeze on the inside of the tent as a frost covering everything. When you move in the tent you'll get the frost on your clothing and/or your body, which will then melt inside your sleeping bag, making you damp and miserable.

I prefer more ventilation in the winter with a very good sleeping bag. I have always used my normal "3 season" REI half dome 2 tent in the winter. It's seen some deep snow and sub-zero temperatures (F, not C) in Colorado and has been fine. I close off the air vents at the top of the rain fly. It still condensates but the condensation freezes on the bottom of the fly and the tent body and mesh keep me away from it. One night, when that "Polar Vortex" came through in 2014, we happened to have our Colorado meetup that weekend. I had two UCO candle lanterns that I burned inside my tent overnight. It was below zero outside but the lowest it got inside my tent was a cozy 24.

I'd just use a normal three piece (ground cloth, tent body, rain fly) tent and spend extra money on a high quality sleeping bag.

Also, use several layers of insulation under you. I tent to use a closed cell foam mat, a mylar space blanket, an insulated self inflating pad, and sometimes a second closed cell foam pad or a piece of Reflectix silver "bubble wrap" insulation. Wear a hat or balaclava on your head and wear gloves if you sleep with your hands out of the sleeping bag near your face.

8. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    ^^ You could also, terrain and such permitting, put a tarp over your tent as well. Would need to be somewhat close to the tent. The tarp will become your 'rain fly' and help with the condensation and such. This would allow you to leave your tent's ventilation opened, semi-opened and would help cut down on the condensation as well.

9. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Thank you gentlemen. You've definitely given me much food for thought. Tent to be good but not crazy good quality/price is ok, sleeping bag equally if not more important and a tarp to help as well, plus the special galvanised stakes.

Regards,

Christos

gohammergo, rsnurkle and Huey like this.
  10. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ground sheet will also help keep your tent from freezing to the ground in some instances, wet snow then hard freeze has created some tent freezing to the ground issues for me in the past. I use a ground sheet and have had no problems for years, I use Tyvek these days tough stuff that can be yanked on with no damage and if I do damage its a cheap replacement.

11. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    ^^ Good call on the tyvex. Didn't even think about using that. Definitely a good vapor barrier and cheap to get.

Quinlan likes this.
  12. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Scattered thoughts from a shattered mind:

1. Ground sheet outside mostly protects bottom of tent from slings and arrows of environment - glass, rocks, sticks. So it can be any tough material For car camping I use polyester taffeta from JOANN FARRICS remnants dept. (Will not mildew and washed easily. Not slippery under foot/knee.)

2. Waterproof sheet inside the tent backs up waterproof floor (or supplants leaky floor) to keep inside dry AND protects floor from you and the grit you bring in and grind into floor with knees. ("Porch" to kneel on as you enter tent helps keep outside stuff outside.)

3. Condensation is more a matter of ventilation, however achieved, than whether tent is single vs double-walled. You want provision for low to high ventilation. Out-of-style wedge-shaped tents (e.g. Timberline-4) are models of this feature. Some expensive double-walled dome tents have no provision for warm, moist air to escape from the top of the interior, so that air collects like water in the bottom of a bowl, resulting in rain and snow inside tent. Single-wall canvas tents, like the one in the OP, being water repellent but not water proof, breath pretty well. Whether that Dutch tent has openings low and high is not mentioned as seller likely knows almost nothing about the topic of tent design. Whatever he has to sell is WONDERFUL[!].

4. Two fairly inexpensive "three season" sleeping bags, one inside the other, will do you in coldest Winter where I am (NE OH/NW PA) or further north. I single bag that thick would get very limited use - only Winter - and cost more than the two lighter bags combined.

5. Good note from 'da Luzter. Descriptions of tent capacity (e.g., "two-man") are often disingenuously optimistic (lies).

6. Winter tents where I am must be able to handle heavy loads of wet snow and heavy rain in Winter. You may face neither. The canvas tent I use gets topped with one of the blue plastic tarps to deal with rain or really soupy snow. It has very stout frame of steel poles. Like the OP tent, it is heavy by modern tent standards.

7. Reread crazysanman's comment on insulation ["dead" air] under you. Many a camper with super sleeping bag(s) has slept cold due to lack of uncrushable insulation under him.

8. Military gear is mostly designed to be hard to destroy in the hands of indifferent users in rough situations. Suffering is deemed an acceptable part of the military experience. See, "Ham and Lima Beans" or Bergan Ski Pack ("Kidney Killer")(Like a vampire, this hated gear came to life as part of the ALICE system decades after being scrapped. Haversacks were recognized as bad gear in the U.S. Civil War.)

13. camp casey

camp casey Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a canvas spike tent 10'x 10' about 7' tall with 3' sides, weighs 24 lbs.
    Heat it with a Knico wood burner, good place to play cards and dry off.

14. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    home depot for the nails

gohammergo, camp casey and Quinlan like this.
  15. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The REI half dome 2 is built like a tank. I find it too heavy for solo backpacking, but I don't hesitate to bring it if I'm sharing the load with a friend.

16. Carbonmated

Carbonmated Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a hammock so I am useless in the effort to assist you :(

Quinlan likes this.
  17. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Right now I'm looking to put together the proper clothing,ECW military.Primaloft top and bottom/suit,good moisture hating base layer,etc.I already have an M.S.S.and have used it in 30F at night November camping in my lean to.No all night fire that time of year.There's a pawn shop that has a military spike tent for $35,not sure if it has a stove jack,but it's canvas.It's only $35 because there's no center pole,but I can find one online,at a military surplus store,or make one.I'd prefer the collapsible pole over making one from a cut down tree as it'd be lighter by far,and I don't like cutting down a tree unless I have to.If no stove jack,I'd save money just buying a propane tent heater over a wood stove as I'd have to buy the stove,spark arrestor,pipe,etc.Last but not least with the canvas tent,heater,stove,etc,it'd have to be car camping at the state forest free campsites nearby.So many variables.

gohammergo, Quinlan and camp casey like this.
  18. Bad Hand Two Nine

Bad Hand Two Nine Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I camp year round with a Eureka Down Range Solo..exactly like the military version TCOP.
    In the winter I use a ground sheet under and a Goretex sheet on the inside with a Snugpak Jungle blanket laid out.
    Sleeping pad then bag,works well.

19. GoFeesh

GoFeesh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Honestly for the money - invest in a good quality tarp, an emergency mylar blanket, and a painters drop cloth 2 or 3 mil. You can't beat a super shelter - now provided you have to do some work to build the frame each time out, but man they are sooooooooo warm. Now I do have a small 8x8 Strinz pyramid tent with a small tent stove but I really can't backpack it anywhere unless there is snow and then I get out the pulk sled.

gohammergo, Quinlan and camp casey like this.
  20. Foilist

Foilist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently got this Sierra Designs Mountain Guide at a very deep discount, which I'm going to try for winter use. Being floorless, I can cook inside (carefully), try a Buddy Heater, or maybe add a stove jack and small wood stove at some point. I have only used it a couple of times so far, but I really like it. Pics are from a quick, sloppy pitch when I first got it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

21. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Is it canvas?Nice tent

22. Kurt992

Kurt992 Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have the same shelter and really enjoy it. I added a stove Jack and small stove last winter. I don't have many nights in it after that, but so far so good.

It's not. It's made if nylon.

image.jpeg

23. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    get some 3/8 x 12 galvanized nails @home depot, they laugh at frozen ground

Quinlan and gohammergo like this.
  24. Foilist

Foilist Scout

Blog Posts:

I'd love to hear about your stove jack installation since I hope to do the same.

Quinlan likes this.
  25. Kurt992

Kurt992 Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I can't remember the brand of stove Jack because it came from @Sweeneyguy. First thing I did was glue it in place with silnylon seam sealer. I followed that up with hand stitching to reinforce it.

Foilist and Quinlan like this.
  26. Jandar

Jandar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i just placed a stove jack in my wintertent.
    20171128_172853 (Custom).jpg 20171128_173406 (Custom).jpg 20171128_174741 (Custom).jpg 20171130_170304 (Custom).jpg 20171130_170256 (Custom).jpg 20171130_170333 (Custom).jpg 2017-10-25 16.07.33 (Custom).jpg

Red Ochre, Foilist, rsnurkle and 3 others like this.
  27. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  28. Jandar

Jandar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So here it goes.. 2017-10-25 16.16.48 (Custom).jpg 2017-10-25 16.20.36 (Custom).jpg 2017-10-25 16.20.49 (Custom).jpg 2017-10-25 16.20.46 (Custom).jpg
    This image gave me the idea for my stove, it is even the same stove as i have..
    Albatros met kachelpijp 2 (Custom).jpg

29. Jandar

Jandar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is the ground plan
    Albatros_plattegrond.jpg

30. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just love the shelter design in the ground plan. I've never seen anything like it.

31. Jandar

Jandar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It is a tent that is developed in the 1960's and the design hardly ever changed, only small details (color, attachments,etc ) changed..
    They give to the first owner a lifetime warranty... They got a lot of confidence in their product. But at a hefty price.. this is an all canvas tent
    it weight is around 77 pound. and the price starts at 2400 dollar..

This is the dewaard albatros.

https://www.dewaardtenten.nl/albatros-tenten/

Yes it is a dutch site ;-)

Elgin likes this.