Winter Hammock camping

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by bush4200, Nov 1, 2016.

1. bush4200

bush4200 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    What's the best bang for your buck when it comes to economy top quilts and bottom quilts for the winter money conscious camper

2. 2stoves

2stoves Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Depends on what you are calling winter. For me winter is below freezing but above 0F. I use JacksRBetter down products. Specifically I use Old Rag Mountain top and UQ. Along with that I am in fleece top/bottom, heavy wool loose fitting sock, wool watch camp, and fingerless wool gloves. Obviously the warmer it is, the less I am wearing. I also toss a poncho liner over my ridgeline to act as a bit of a sock and I take a stainless steal water bottle wrapped in a Ziplock freezer bag then stuffed in a wool sock.

If it goes below 0F I don't go camping.

Are they the best bang for your buck? I don't know now. I want UQ/TQ not pads and the JRB down fit my needs at a price I could afford. You can get synthetics much cheaper but I wanted down for the weight and space savings in my pack

LarryB Outdoors and LarryB like this.
  3. Bcelect

Bcelect Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What kind of hammock do you have? A bridge hammock with a double layer allows you to insert an inflatable mattress. You don't have to go crazy on the top, a sleeping bag can suffice for now.
    Get your bottom taken care of first, that's where the cold happens if you do not have good loft underneath.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Jasonacraft likes this.
  4. bush4200

Blog Posts:
    I have a Hennessy Hammock explorer asym sip

LarryB likes this.
  5. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Snugpak under quilt is pretty nice for the money spent, Arrowhead equipment sells a nice synthetic underguilt in the $100.00 dollar range.

SniperSurvivalist and Scratch4x4 like this.
  6. sledjockey

sledjockey Skookum's Bro Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Because I couldn't afford a really expensive UQ I had my mother make me one out of 5 oz primaloft and silnylon we got online. It cost around $125 to make. This along with the UQ liner will take me down to about 0 degrees. I also made a poncho liner UQ that will make your hindquarters sweat if coupled with my mom-made UQ. It works well down to the mid 40's by itself. This year I also got one for both my son and I from Snugpaq I think it is called. It ran around $50 and seems to be somewhere in between the PLUQ and the mom-made UQ.

For OQ I use my MSS. This allows me to use all 3 layers in a variety of configurations all dependant upon how cold it is. I do tend to use the bivvy cover and UQ liner no matter whether I use the black bag, patrol back or both due to living here in the PNW where it is always wet even in a drought it seems.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Hardwoodsman #8 Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:

I also use a JacksrBetter UQ 0 that fits my bridge hammock but just use my 0 degree sleeping bag on top. I might unzip the bag to make it more blanket like. Also might add a thermarest ridgerest pad more for cutting wind then warmth. Only thing that has gotten cold was my upper back when I slept stretched out so I placed my jacket in that spot at the time.

8. bush4200

Blog Posts:
    Cool , I'm going to check it out thank u very much

9. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would use my unzipped mummy bag as a top quilt. It wanted to cover my head most of the time, but that is manageable for the most part. Don't get much more 'economy' than that. I spent the TQ money on a Super Fly tarp and really buttoned it up to eliminate any wind the best I could. My UQ was from Wilderness Logics. I never did like the pad in between the double layer hammock.

If you can wait, history says all those cottage vendors have a day after Thanksgiving sale. You could save up to 20% at some places. Check out hammockforums.net too.

BigBubbaJ, GreenFrog and Nonc-Tobe like this.
  10. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Synthetic Underquilt like the Jarbidge or New River from Welcome to AHE
    The come in Winter/4 Season or 3 Season.

LocoLibre Home has some very nice synthetic options with excellent suspensions.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  11. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also have the AHE Quilts for my hammocks. Top and under quilts.

12. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Grizzly outdoors and Jasonacraft like this.
  13. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The very first time I slept overnight in a hammock I took my 0*F sleeping bag, with its full length and double slidered zipper, and "pea-podded" it around a low-cost, netless hammock.
    [​IMG]

I didn't quite get to the comfortable lay angle that I'm now used to with current my 2/3s underquilt + pad setup in a netted hammock, and I would have been better served to properly rig up an attachment for the head end to keep the insulation close to me and from letting drafts in. But that night, even as a newbie to hammocking, I slept warm and comfortable below freezing in the peapod setup, and since I already had the winter sleeping bag, the only money I spent was on the hammock and my suspension system. For any friends looking to try out hammocking, when it's chilly, I focus on pea-podding them with an already-owned sleeping bag wrapped around my netless hammock and suspended however we can manage, and then stuffing extra insulation (blankets, jackets, sleeping pads) in appropriate places around them if the sleeping bag isn't really rated for below 32*F. I consider that the simplest and cheapest start to hammocking in temperatures where you need the insulation to work properly.

If you don't already own winter rated sleeping bags to press into use, Arrowhead Equipment is one of the vendors offering synthetic quilts, which reduce the sticker shock compared to your standard down under- or topquilt, but with more weight and bulk, as one would expect. Kick Ass Quilts

ETA: Just re-read and saw the previous recommendations for Arrowhead Equipment, consider this support for those comments.

Flint_2016, Pharmer and camp casey like this.
  14. lonelake

lonelake Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have some Arrowhead Equipment Synthetic top and bottom. I like them, and they are fairly affordable. However, if you are planning on sub-zero hanging, I would recommend down insulation.

LL

Pharmer and rsnurkle like this.
  15. Megalos

Megalos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I see sleeping bags of various qualities and down comforters at the thrift stores. If you can do some sewing, you can probably make something fairly cheap that will work.

Flint_2016 and rsnurkle like this.
  16. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    One thing I wanted to add, no matter which gear option you select, test your gear before you head out.

If this is a given for you, apologies, but having camped with a couple hundred people in the middle of Winter, have to say, some are much better prepared than others. For sure rig your stuff in the backyard and spend some cold nights out there to dial everything in.

Another great option is a group outing, they are all over the US, even in the middle of Winter. I'm out every month, a couple times a month when it gets cold and am always happy to share info, pass along lessons learned the hard way. After you make your purchase, post up w/ any questions or issues. GL w/ you buy.

17. Bcelect

Bcelect Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great advice. I decided to test my "-40 degree" mss in my backyard in -10. I had a pad with a wool blanket underneath. I was back in the house in 15 minutes. The ratings of - 40 or -50 are only good with the extra layers of the Extreme cold weather layering system. Those bags are wonderful and I was comfortable in the low 20s with mine.

BigBubbaJ and rsnurkle like this.
  18. Slib

Slib Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll be receiving an Enlightened Equipment 20-degree under quilt in the next couple days. I'll keep you posted on how I like it.....if it ever really cools down in my neck of the NY woods.

Jasonacraft likes this.
  19. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    All so overwhelming to me on bringing underquilts,woobies,to go winter camping in a hammock,4 weather tent, or shelter.You guys who have gone winter camping have the experience,gear,and all down to a science.I have a Grand Trunk hammock with hanging kit bought from Cabelas,and a military M.S.S.I have no $ for an underquilt,but have a reflective space blanket,and inflatable mattress.I suppose I should at least invest in a woobie.Then there's the weight of carrying all this gear to my camp.I think I'll leave hammock camping in cold weather go,and stay in my winter leanto that'll be set up for a super shelter type,and all night fire.

Attached Files:

20. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I cut a slit in a M1949 sleeping bag . Mountain bag . suspend it from the lace up holes and thread an insulated hammock through the slits . Then I use the patrol bag , green , from the MSS as one top quilt and another M1949 cut as a top quilt on top of the patrol bag . I also hang a elongated insulated poncho over the ridge line to make a micro climate . my feet are always cold at night so I use an old insulated vest that I have put snaps on the arm holes and tied up the head opening for a foot bag with a hot nalgene bottle in it . I have an oversized tarp I made out of an old nylon tent cover that is capable of fastening the ends to keep out the breeze . It hangs almost all the way to the ground from my other ridge line . Gaurantee this setup to minus ten . I camp in Northern Indiana and Northern Michigan with this 150 dollar setup every winter . You will need a toboggan .

PS I hate sleeping in the MSS . The M1949 was what I was issued in 1967 and can still be found for less then 50 bucks .

rsnurkle likes this.
  21. Scratch4x4

Scratch4x4 Guide

Blog Posts:
    SnugPak underblanket and top quilt will NOT take you down to 10F. I survived, but it was the coldest ive ever been by a long shot. Id say down to 30~ for the combo for comfort level.

Underblanket with an MSS 2 pieces will comfortably take me down to single negatives.

Snugpaks and MSS are all budget friendly products for cold camping that I have first hand experience with.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Lazy Squirrel, aball423 and rsnurkle like this.
  22. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I finally got a chance to campout (11/7-11/8)and use my MSS.Results,satisfactory.Although the temps never got lower than the upper 30's so I'm not yet sure how it would do in the single digits or lower(I doubt I'll brave overnighters any lower than 0 F.I'm not equipped with good under garments such as merino wool,though I have vinyl moisture wickers.My aim is to at least buy a pair of a merino/synthetic mix.I didn't sleep on my hammock,but a raised bed that would be similar with the cold beneath the bed.I used an old sleeping bag as an underquilt,and slept in my clothing wearing a t-shirt,cotton long sleeve,wool longsleeve,and heavy sweater.No long underpants though.Exiting the sleep system maybe twice through the night,I get chilled,but was warm within a minute or two once covered.

LarryB and rsnurkle like this.
  23. Bcelect

Bcelect Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Can you spring $15 for a pair of silkweight polartec? Is is a good first layer. Polartec silkweight underwear set medium regular military issue long underwear | eBay
    The midweights are more expensive, but you can shop around. Rothco Military Gen III ECWCS Mid-Weight Thermal Underwear Long Johns | eBay

These are a very nice pant liner and you can use them for sleeping as well. Very warm. US Military INSULATED FIELD PANT LINER M65 Hunting Trouser XS S M L XL VGC | eBay
    New ones.NEW Genuine U.S. Military Insulated Thermal Pants Liner - Medium | eBay
    I may pick up another pair myself.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  24. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    will a space blanket substitute well for an underquilt?I have a 5x7 like the one you're using there.I'm new to the tech behind hammock camping in the cold.I have an MSS for my bag plus the space blanket and wonder if that'd suffice for around 30 F. +-

25. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no place beside my camp to test my gear first.My first use of the MSS I got back in October 2016 was in early November with coldest temps in the mid 30's.I was warm in my bag never getting cold throughout the entire night.Was dressed warm to so that helped with a moisture wicking base layer,pants,wool shirt.wool sweater,and nylon windbreaker.Also wore a ski mask,but no gloves.Socks weren't wool but were warm enough anyway.Had an old style sleeping bag laid on the mattress of my raised bed to help prevent any chill from below.I'm going out again if the temps are above the single digits,preferably the 25-30 F range.

rsnurkle likes this.
  26. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Love the pics of you getting out there. I hear you about having a place to test gear. Getting out to camp is a great deal though, good on ya.

Yeah, the winter hammock camping thing can seem a little overwhelming and expensive at first but there's always options. No way around the gear you need though, weighs what it weighs. I started with a blue Walmart pad $10, an old sleeping bad slung underneath as a makeshift under quilt and a sleeping bag on top. Hang a wool blanket over the ridgeline, instant shelter.

I lived outside for an entire winter and until it gets below 15º-20º, I sleep in shorts and synthetic, wicking T-shirt, no socks. Rely on the insulation and the dead air space to keep me warm. As long as you can cinch the sleeping bag (or top quilt) around your shoulders and neck, it works. I'm always wearing some sort of cap, wool, fleece, synthetic, whatever. 20º on down I'll wear one layer of light fleece in addition to the base layer w/ a loose fitting pair of wool socks.

You've got some great country out your way. Enjoy your camp. Raised bed, fire, reflecting wall, good stuff.

27. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Fun thing is when ya have to pee.I heard it suggested,and I posted this yesterday(Suggestions or winter tent camping) have a jug,i.e.plastic milk jug cut part way down,at your reach so you don't have to go far.Better yet a Texas catheter LOL.

28. Grizzly outdoors

Grizzly outdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A few things that will help with any set up to sleep warmer in the cold
    -Makes sure you are hydrated
    - eat before bed
    - a short walk or someting to get blood flow moving before bed helps alot
    -a hot water battle in the bag with you can help

Most my winter camping g is done from 10f to -30 f
    I have seen guys with the best gear have to leave after a few hours and guys that have the Lowes end gear for there hammocks and go without a problem by adding a few of the above to there set up

Flint_2016 and rsnurkle like this.
  29. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    while stationed in Alaska we had to sleep outside once a year with just our poncho's, polly pad and sleeping bag and it has to be 10f or less one thing I learned while up there was to eat a candy bar just before bed the sugar in it would get your metabolism going which in turn helped your body to produce heat

LarryB and rsnurkle like this.
  30. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hi @Flint_2016, sorry I missed this a while back. I would not substitute a space blanket for an underquilt, because the way they go about keeping you warm is apples and oranges and I think the oranges (underquilt) is a more robust approach for hammocking because it traps less moisture next to you. The 5x7 blanket in my photo was mainly to act as a wind barrier to supplement the sleeping bag insulation and protect it from the ground if I had hung my hammock too low. It wasn't fitted close, but knowing what I know now, I would not have put it any closer, because those kind of vapor barriers retain moisture and that can be an issue for your sleeping insulation, especially on a multiple day trip.

The sleeping bag in the picture is a 0*F synthetic with some years on it and no washing as of yet (so it probably is a 5-10*F bag currently), I have a metabolism that is about average (or slightly warmer than average) for women, and the temperatures that evening were just hovering above freezing (this was in SW PA in early spring a few years bag). I was toasty, toasty warm and was using only that sleeping bag and lightweight long sleeves and longjohns for my base layer.

The internet suggests that the black intermediate bag from the MSS has a comfort rating to around 10-15*F for men and is synthetic insulation. For 30*F give or take, if you have a sleeping pad of some sort (closed cell foam or inflatable, no preference), my suggestion is (for your first test) to bring the two bags from the MSS (if you have both), your sleeping pad, and either 1 mylar sheet or an extra tarp. I would put your sleeping pad in the hammock with you, peapod the black bag around the hammock, hold the green patrol bag in reserve in your pack, and make sure there are few if any drafts into the shelter. I think you could get away with just that stuff, but if your underside gets cold during the night, first adjustment is to take out the green patrol bag fold it in half and put it where your torso will be in the hammock with you (unless it's just your feet that are cold, then put it under your feet in the hammock) for ease. If that doesn't help, see if you can pea pod the patrol bag around the outside of the black bag, which will require more fiddle factor in the night. And if that doesn't help, *then* bring out the mylar blanket/extra tarp and attach it under you to provide a layer of wind protection.

The reason for this step by step is so that you can get a good test of what actually is needed and what is overkill. I worry about using a vapor barrier as my wind protection because I don't want anything that is water sensitive to deflate because the water collected inside of my quilts, instead of moving to the surface and getting blown off by wind (even if that process results in relative cooling).

That said, one mylar based alternative to the underquilt exists and is called a Garlington Insulator, and it has had mixed reviews: Making Garlington Insulators with an Undercover

Also, maybe taking a look at Paul Kirtley's write up on the various mechanisms of heat loss would be helpful. I think it might even go well in your winter camping tips thread: Staying Warm Outdoors: Avoid The Four Horsemen of Heat Loss

Flint_2016 likes this.
  31. tentsleeper

tentsleeper Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I used a piece of reflectix insulation then a blanket to help with condensation underneath me inside of my hammock. It helps. I used a mummy style sleeping bag unzipped as a top quilt and a under quilt but I find that the reflectix adds insulation and a barrier of protection from draft also helps cut down on the cbs.

Fat Old Man likes this.
  32. wheelmanron

wheelmanron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you have a poncho liner, add that under the hammock, with the space blanket under that. Some insulation, heat reflection and wind resistance. Coldest it's been with that setup is 19 degrees, and with a wool blanket, I slept well.

33. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For cold weather, 0 degree weather gear, Id say hammock gear or enlightened equipment. Good value even if pricey. Way cheaper than Eno though and much much much higher quality.

34. Lazy Squirrel

Lazy Squirrel Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Have you given any thought to the snugpak cocoon?