Wise company dried foods...?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by dads2vette, May 22, 2018.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Anyone try this brand? I usually try to keep 3-6 months around and have been using/eating Mountain House the last few years. I like the taste and it's easy to prepare. Wise just sent me an email for 50% off(probably list price) so I was thinking of giving them a try.

Not crazy about the nutritional value of most of these products but for an emergency, I'll take it.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. chickasaw_hunter

chickasaw_hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll just have to watch your thread. I have a bucket of it stashed at my cabin, haven't tried it. I suspect if I have to break it open, it would taste good. We have noticed that most everything taste better at the cabin.
    There was one exception though. I saw a deal on how to use a pringles can to use solar power to roast a wiener. That wouldn't be good anywhere, but I digress. From what I know they are supposed to be good.

3. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like most Mountain House, my wife doesn't (sodium). I think we have had only one or two Wise I mean Backpacker's Pantry. meals, I think they were a little better than Mountain House. There's no accounting for taste, a coupon seems like a good incentive to try.

We like to dry our own stuff with an Excalibur dehydrator and make some of our own meals, but freeze-drying lets them make things that we cannot.

EDIT: Backpacker's Pantry.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Lichen, Brew-Jitsu, OMRebel and 3 others like this.
  4. 138zacvining

138zacvining Feral bearded man Hobbyist Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It’s edible but not my fav

5. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have heard some not so good things about Wise.

As I recall, it had to do more with the calorie source and portion size more than the taste.

I've stayed away from them.

While I haven't tried this myself, this looks like it might be better and is on sale for $99 with free s/h:
    https://preparewith.com/Dave.Hodges

It is non-GMO and grown in America, too.

6. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wise had a special some years back, I tried some. At the time it was all soy based TVP, no real meat. Edible but not really what I wanted. Not as good as Mtn House.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  7. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the replies. ONe of the reasons for having to restock my emergency supplies is that I eat it when on a hike or just to lazy to cook. Not looking forward to eating calorie laden cardboard.

dave

8. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have sampled Wise before. They are garbage.
    Extreme amounts of sodium.
    Nutritionally devoid.

They are below Mountain House for sure!

If you are looking for something decent, Backpackers Pantry is a step up from Mountain House while being easy to obtain.

9. hillst1

hillst1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I ordered from them. The food is not very good quality and is salty. They hound you for months on the phone with offers and other products they want to sell.

10. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I hear hawk vittles is REALLY GOOD i looked at a freebe they sent and sodium is off the chart hi i have hi bp so nope not me mountain house is expensive 7.00 a meal if i wasnt too far in the trail i would stick with ramen or knoor meals even mac n cheese is 49cents or dehydrate my own that way i know how much salt sugar is goin in. I suppose it evens out in the end prep and cook wise you either spending time making it or spending money buying it

ManyHammers, PERRO and dads2vette like this.
  11. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just an " FYI " for anyone interested ?? :3:

Dehydrated Food : Hawks Vittles
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/dehydrated-food-hawks-vittles.93117/

Medic17, dads2vette and Harper like this.
  12. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    PERRO likes this.
  13. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wise is full of soy.

Does it have to be dehydrated? Canned meat is better, is actually meat, and is cheaper. You have to cycle through it, though, not just stick it in the basement and expect it to still be edible in 20 years.

If that's not an option, then yeah Mountain House has real meat in it and not as much soy. $$$ though.

No use surviving the zombie apocalypse if it turns you into a Soy Boi, eh? :3

ManyHammers, Lichen and dads2vette like this.
  14. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you perro that was a good writeup

PERRO likes this.
  15. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Read the labels for WISE "food". It isn't food. Coffee creamer, soup 'base', high sodium, it goes on.

There is this rather epic thread on WISE "food" vs OFDF.
    http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=245561&highlight=wise+foods

I won't deal with them because they are a classic multi-level marketing outfit based in Utah. That's enough to keep we away...

Edit to add - another epic thread on "Bucket food" - hint, the guy lived.
    http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=366928&highlight=wise+food&page=2

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    dads2vette likes this.
  16. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    #10 cans are cheaper than the individual foil packets.

Lichen and dads2vette like this.
  17. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad this thread came up. I have some Wise food that came from my old man and I think I will ditch it based on the info here.

dads2vette and MrFixIt like this.
  18. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @PERRO Nice write up.

I would have mentioned Hawke Vittles but they are dehydrated.
    Don't get me wrong, they are a great backpacking options.
    Good tasting too.

But

Dehydrated is much different than freeze dried.
    Dehydrated has a shorter shelf life and food is limited to what can be effectively dehydrated.
    A few months vs. a few years.

dads2vette and PERRO like this.
  19. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    Backpacker's Pantry! That was my other one I tried, not Wise. Other post edited.

dads2vette likes this.
  20. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    We've used our dehydrated stuff a few years later, and worked very well. This was vac-sealed, and with O2 absorbers.

On a gadget level, I really would like to try freeze-drying, but the units (all both of them) are too expensive for me. I chased one around online, and the forums were full of modifications to just even make it work adequately, it sounded like.

Still, the price has come down 10-fold in 5 years, I'll give it another few years. I think with a combination of freeze-drying and dehydrating, you could put together some good stuff.

dads2vette likes this.
  21. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't for sure on shelf life ??? My taste buds dictate, what I prefer to Eat :32:

But, :33:

The few articles I've read, seems to indicate a longer shelf life than a few months, with proper packaging & storage ??

I've been using food grade Containers, with screw on lids ( Gamma Lids ) for alll of my perishable items: Beans / Rice / Pasta / Ramen Noodles , etc.

[​IMG]
    Wally Mart Purchase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dehydrated Vs. Freeze Dried Food: What’s Best?

....." Shelf Life

Both dehydrated and freeze dried foods have a long and similar shelf life. They are both stable products when stored in a cool, dry place – just like with home canned items. Freeze dried foods inside a Mylar pouch should keep the product fresh for a decade. Dehydrated foods have been estimated to last for 20 years or more. Freeze dried foods in a #10 can are estimated to last up to 25 years – that is, until opened. Once a #10 can of freeze dried food has been opened, all the contents inside must be used within several days – not so with dehydrated food, as long as the unused portion does not get wet........"

https://www.offthegridnews.com/off-grid-foods/dehydrated-vs-freeze-dried-food-whats-best/

Lichen, dads2vette and Brew-Jitsu like this.
  22. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the great input folks!

Here are some of my thoughts.(.......) (notice the blanks spaces where thought should be) I like to keep 3-6 months, as previously mentioned, of dehydrated/freeze dried food around incase I can't get out for an extended stay. In my case if weather related it would probably be for 4-5 days at most until the washes clear up after a monsoon or injury from my back going kaflooey(medical term). In that case I've been down for up to 2 weeks without moving.

I'm constantly rotating my stock, although right now I'm down to 3 months because I use the food when I'm too lazy to cook, want to try something new, go hiking. With my kids visiting recently I went thru quite a bit while hiking.

Seeing some of the high salt and filler content of some products has given me pause when considering a purchase. If they wouldn't be healthy for long term use I'm not sure I'd want to eat fillers, that taste good, just to feel full.

I've purchased and used a couple of the Mountain House #10 cans but have to use them relatively quickly if it's just me on the homestead. They both work out very well as I tend to add ingredients to both to increase the nutritional value and taste.

gohammergo and Lichen like this.
  23. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    What I have read is there are 3 main things you must try to avoid with dehydrated food storage.

Moisture, which is why we dehydrate.

Light. Vacuum seal the dehydrated goods, then seal in a mylar pouch to shield from light.

Oxygen. Seal with an 02 absorber.

gohammergo, dads2vette and PERRO like this.
  24. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Plains tribes stored pemmican and jerky in leather parfleches. Lasted them a long time, with no O2 scrubbers.

25. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    I just tried a few flavors of the Wise freeze-dried meats (2012 manufacture date), and they tasted like what I'd imagine a memory foam pillow to be in texture, and some weird - and stinky - meat stock flavor. Brutal. I don't know if I should donate them or trash them.

26. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We've tried several brands of long term survival foods, Wise was at the bottom of the list in every respect, I'm reminded of the words of Mick Dundee when he said "You can live off it, but it tastes like Schitt ".
    The brand that has been consistently the best tasting, easiest to prepare, and looked like real food to us is from Patriot Foods, the shipping is timely, customer service is great as is their variety, their prices are very affordable.
    Patriot Foods often offers deals on 72 hour sample packages for under $30.00, we order one and was impressed with the service, the packaging, and most of all the food, after trying a few of the sample meals we reordered immediately and have been stocking small lots for our emergency rations pantry for the last year.

27. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    That cinches it, I'm buying a truckload! Nothing better than stinky meat pillow foam!

28. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Noooo! That will be a truckload worth of regret.

GrowlingBear and dads2vette like this.
  29. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't know just how long they'll last and they are not freeze-dried, but I eat a lot of Indian food that comes in a foil/plastic bag. There are several brands. Around $2. each, sometimes cheaper. I'm especially fond of Dal Tadka, which is a relatively mild yellow lentil-type soup. About the same as Dal Fry. Khadi Pakora is also good. I know Indian food is not to everyone's taste, but there's 1.3 billion people who seem to eat it every day.

No worries about stinky meat with these. Its vegetarian with stinky spices.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Please don’t throw away food. That said, some foods do spoil. If you don’t want the Wise stuff you have, donate it or find someone with chickens or pigs to give it to.

That said... we have a 40 foot, high cube shipping container that is food storage. It is like a small supermarket of ‘stuff’ to keep us alive. We have learned a few things over the last 20 some years of storing emergency supplies.

- don’t bother with the expense of Gamma seal lids for the long term stuff. Use ordinary gasketed lids that you pound on with a mallet. An opener will open them. When you open one, take one of your Gamma seal lids and put it on. No need to waste the money on ALL the buckets, besides, they don’t seal as well as a regular lid.

- put anything you package yourself in sealed mylar bags. For some things, it doesn’t matter. Things like beans and rice don’t care if you bag them. The buckets DO breathe some, air goes through the walls of the bucket and air has oxygen which hurries along spoilage.

- We wasted several 5 gallon buckets of chicken and beef bullion. Yes it is salty, but you know what? EATING is better than not eating. A bit of bullion in a pot of rice makes a lot of difference. And, salt isn’t bad, especially if you are working hard to stay alive. Bullion does spoil/go rancid. Sigh...

- store spices and dried vegetables. They keep essentially forever and make lots of things more palatable.

- rice, beans, wheat and corn should be the major dried storage item. Fill the belly and warm the soul with food based on those. Bread can keep you alive.

- have some sort of wheat grinder to make your own flour and then bread products. Even a cheap Corona type grinder will work. I did do the testing, it WILL work. More effort, but it works. We have a couple of electric grinders and an expensive hand operated flour mill, but the Corona is still in the mix.

- Ordinary dried whole feed corn is good food. It is actually cleaner than a lot of other foods we eat. Read the label. I got mine at Walmart. Makes fine cornbread.

- The LDS Church sells excellent ‘forever’ food. Cases of wheat, rice, beans in #10 cans can form the basis of a stash that will carry you through for a while.

- canned meat is good. Dried stuff is better and again, will make a pot of beans or rice much better tasting.

- Add some dried fruit to the mix of stored items. Variety...

- pasta is one of the things that is ‘forever’ food. Store a variety and you will be pleased when the time comes to use it.

- Don’t overload with ‘prepared’ food for the long run. Nothing wrong with having some of those premade packages of food, but you are stuck with them for the long term and they don’t really keep as well as plain raw products. Store the basics and make your own ‘mixes’ as you need them. That way, if peppers aren’t on your wish list today, you can leave them out. The premade stuff is normally a lot more expensive than basic ingredients too.

We have relied on our stored food a couple of times in the last 25 years. Good to have a ‘grocery store’ in the yard when the paycheck stops for some reason. Or, just in case the grocery store is empty.

31. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Some great info here. Thanks for the posting.

I'm moving across the country (Mississippi to Oregon) on Monday and only have a small enclosed trailer to bring all of my stuff, so I've been shedding a few items. I've considered trying to find a church that would take these items, but I'm just running low on time, and I don't know anyone around here with chickens or pigs.

If anyone knows someone in the Jackson, MS area that wants over 500 servings of food from Food for Health, Survival Food Cave, and Wise - I have 3 buckets to part with! I didn't buy any of this food; it's from when my old man passed away a fear years ago. All of it was manufactured in 2012.

32. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Did you post this in another thread?I forgot all about these. Thanks for reminding me. I love Indian food...actually I love all food but this opens another food source/taste.

Great info, thanks! One of my biggest problems on the homestead is a lack of enclosed storage. I'll be bringing the bath facilities out of the bathhouse and into the main house this summer...pipes freezing in the bathhouse over the winter. I'm converting the bathhouse to storage for tools which means it opens space in the house for food storage. Two 20' containers are two of the needs on "the list". All in good time.

NevadaBlue and Brew-Jitsu like this.
  33. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Scout

Blog Posts:
    Probably mentioned it. It's like when I say to my son "Did I tell you...?" and he says, "Yes, three times already". Then I have to say "So I probably already told you your car is on fire out in the driveway". :)

Good thing about the Indian stuff is that you can take one packet of that and there's enough spice and whatnot to mix into a gallon bucket of rice and still have some taste. Or stretch it with lentils or beans.

I still remember eating at open storefront or back-alley places in Bangkok, Singapore and Penang, Malaysia 40 years ago. Elbow-to-elbow with working locals, great food and cheap. Ever try to eat a watery curry served on a banana leaf with your fingers? No one loitered in that place. Suck it up fast or wear it.