Wolf Traders Lone Wolf -30Degree Bag

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by mangorockfish, Jul 28, 2018.

1. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looking to get my first real sleeping bag. I'm really considering the MSS but found this on ebay. Has anyone checked these out and if so what's the verdict? Maybe add a bivvy bag. Thanks

2. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, I see no one has checked in about this bag. I'm afraid I am not familiar with the brand but perhaps I can offer some general thoughts that will be of help to you.
    First off, do you actually need a bag rated to -30*? A bag that thick will be decidedly uncomfortable above freezing and, if the rating is legitimate, quite possibly uncomfortable a ways below freezing.

The insulation is evidently a trade name, a frustrating trend among bag manufacturers, so it is difficult to know how efficient and durable it is. If it takes nearly 7 pounds of it to get a -30* rating, chances are it is a rather generic polyester batting. That doesn't necessarily rule it out.

I checked what reviews there are on Amazon for some of their other bags and all seem to be 4 or 5 stars. (I have never had complete faith in the accuracy of Amazon ratings, just for the record.) Looks as if Amazon's source is the manufacturer. The only thing I noted that raised an eyebrow is that the zipper baffle is uninsulated. That would be of concern if the bag were being used well below zero.

The weight and bulk of the bag you linked to would pretty much rule it out if it has to be carried any distance by you. The term "any distance" will have to be defined by you.

It looks, from their website, as if this is a relatively new company. Nothing wrong with that. The big guys and gals had to start somewhere. It just doesn't give the early buyers any track record to go on. These may be the best made bags on the market. They are made in China, but, they can produce high quality merchandise (and they can produce low quality).

If the bag, with its advertised characteristics, meets your needs, it might be worth a chance. If weight, bulk and/or rating are not really what you want, consider there other offerings and, perhaps, take a look at some place like Sierratradingpost.com and see what else is out there. (signing up for their DealFlyer may get you 20 or 25% off.)

As far as the MSS goes, one in good shape has a lot to offer. The dual bag arrangement gives you a much better year-round option too. Outer patrol bag for summer, inner intermediate bag (black or newer gray) for spring and fall, and both for winter. Many consider the bivy the most versatile part of the system. By the way, I doubt you will find a bivy that will accept a rectangular bag the size of the Lone Wolf -30*. Especially the canvas covered version.

Hope this has been of some assistance to you in your quest.

3. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you WC for your input, but passed on it and got a really nice MSS off ebay. Trying it out tomorrow night.