wool blanket help!

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by sonnyDdog, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sonnyDdog

sonnyDdog Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking for a wool blanket to take out bushwacking. I've never slept with one and there's so many to chose from online via Amazon.ca that I need help. What sizes do you guys recommend ? Weight? 100% wool or part synthetic? Are they itchy? do they smell? lol all the reviews are so up and down I can't make up my mind so please make it up for me :33:

2. Stone

Stone Supporter, Twirler of Embers

Blog Posts:
    The gold standard in wool blankets, in my estimation, would be one that is pure merino. Gold standard on two accounts...first it is fine and soft and easily worn next to the skin, second because it will cost the most gold to get it. Size depends on what you are going to use it for...I use a 'throw' sized merino to supplement my light weight sleeping bag while I go to late season forest fires where we camp out at temps well below freezing.

Short of that, I'd stay away from wool mixes because you start getting away from the advantages of wool pretty quick...at least that's been my experience.

For lowest cost, surplus military blankets are good. Again try to stay with pure wool. But the military ones vary from "moderately coarse" to "real coarse" in texture and might be itchy unless you are used to wool against your body.

Pendleton and Earlys of Witney make good blankets.

http://www.pendleton-usa.com/section/blankets-throws/2178.uts

http://www.witneybedding.co.uk/

Winterhorse likes this.
  3. Younghunter3030

Younghunter3030 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The very first Wool blanket I encountered was a 100% army blanket I found in my brother-in-laws junk yard:dblthumb:....I didn't sleep in the woods with it yet but I slept on the couch with it. Very warm and not itchy
    Ifn yer lookin for a wool blanket it is up to you or you can buy a quick one. 100% is expensive at points :( but you can get some on sale or reduced. Don't go with 70/30 Go with 100 or 80/20. But it is up to you.

Best Blanket Wishes :50::35:

4. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you are going to use the wool blanket as your primary warmth (no sleeping bag), I would suggest a queen size. You can wrap yourself up several times in blanket that big.

If you are adding it to a sleeping bag, I would go with a single as you are primarily adding an extra layer of insulation on top.

I'm a huge fan of alpaca from the alpaca warehouse. They have military style blankets in those sizes. They aren't cheap, but they sure are warm.

If you hang your blanket over a line after you get home on a nice day, the wood smoke smell will dissipate. I smack mine with my hands while its over the line to beat out any dirt. I hang it for at least 6 hours, moving it around to get the best air flow once or twice.

!00% wool Military Surplus blankets are also a great choice, but I don't believe you have too many options on size in that space.

cpshelb17 likes this.
  5. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    The better you go, the more you pay. Some are as expensive as a high quality sleeping bag at twice the weight, 2-3X the bulk and half the warmth. There are plenty of benefits to wool but if you're going for light weight and plenty warm, wool ain't it. If you are expecting temps to not be lower than the 40s, wool can be nice, especially if you sleep near a fire or if it is damp. If expecting well below freezing, I'd go with down.

Winterhorse likes this.
  6. Early Man

Early Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good wool, as Hudson Bay and Whitney and assorted other vintage blankets are not itchy, unless it happens you turn out to be allergic to wool.

Inexpensive wool blankets and blends can go either way, be itchy and scratchy or not. Generally if you use a single blanket in a Canadian or New Hampshire winter you will stay up praying for morning. Of course that depends on you, what you eat and etc. I prefer 3 whitney or hudson bay blankets in winter wrapped in a canvass tick. And I drag that on one or another kind of sled. One of these 'blankets' can be my whitney Capoe'.

hunter63 likes this.
  7. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As said earlier, Alpaca warehouse. I bought a king size for about 100.00.
    Or watch the thrift stores, I have a few very nice vintage blankets I picked up for under 10.00

Winterhorse likes this.
  8. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would just add, DON'T buy a Rothco wool blanket.

9. TRYKER

TRYKER Scout

Blog Posts:
    if you find the wool itche get a cheap fleece and make a inner bag.

Winterhorse and tabasco_joe like this.
  10. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Elgin, LoneStarJedi, Harper and 2 others like this.
  11. whtshdwwz

whtshdwwz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Backyard called it....the Alpaca Warehouse is where the boss bought a blanket for my Christmas gift...it is the largest size and she used a 30% off coupon...its almost to nice to use outdoors...just my .02 cents.

Winterhorse and tabasco_joe like this.
  12. cpshelb17

cpshelb17 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also recommend alpaca warehouse. I received one as a Christmas present this year; I sleep with it every night, bushcrafting or not! If none of these suggestions appeal to you, a quick search with the search feature on the forum will reveal several threads like this. People will have additional recommendations in those threads.

Winterhorse likes this.
  13. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a handful of military wool blankets. I machine wash them using woolite and dry them. They get real soft and do not itch.

Winterhorse and Lichen like this.
  14. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
  15. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    The alpaca do not seem as warm as other blankets. To ME anyway. I love it, but I have other ones that seem warmer and tougher than the Alpaca's

16. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Do a search on here, you will find loads of information

17. badglide9705

badglide9705 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a couple rothco blankets, YUK! I sometimes use them as part of my sleeping pad under my bag. Or sometimes as a rug inside my tent! I did purchase a nice one from woolrich. Expensive, but with a discount coupon it wasn't to bad. Soft, comfy and doesn't smell.

Lichen likes this.
  18. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do your research. But don't by Rothco. Stay clear of language that says, "Military Style" or "Swiss Style" or "Reproduction". Get as close to 100% wool as you can, because the more wool = more better. Yes, more better. Real wool won't be cheap, but it doesn't have to be super expensive. I've bought several via eBay and Sportsman's Guide. US Army blankets by UNICORE are 100% wool and can be had for about $40-50. European military blankets, i.e. Italian, Hungarian, Swiss, and others are hit and miss because so many are knock-offs advertised as "genuine". If you can find an Italian military surplus wool blanket for $50-75 I'd recommend that. They're greenish-brown with cream colored stripes and 100% wool. Not comfy on the bare skin for sure but the real deal. Other vintage wool blankets by Hudson Bay, Sears, JC Penney, and countless others can be found on eBay but it won't be cheap.
    I've had good luck with mil-surp wool blankets from eBay and Sportsman' Guide. Just be sure specs are as close to or 100% wool. Look for exact specs and not just "wool blend". If buying from eBay be sure seller allows for returns. One way to verify wool content is to shave off some material and ignite it. If it melts more than it burns then it's a poor blend of wool and synthetics, but if it burns like hair and stinks like burned hair it's mostly or all wool. I've had great experiences with customer support at Sportsman's guide. They'll send me prepaid return labels and I just send it back for a refund if unsatisfied.

Lichen likes this.
  19. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll second this one... except perhaps not for carry as it is about the largest, thickest, and heaviest blanket in my household. Certainly a heck of deal at that price.

SMLE Guy likes this.
  20. Laci Ihasz

Laci Ihasz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    tabasco_joe likes this.
  21. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Several things should be brought up...
    1) wool blankets are not magic...So much talk about them may lead you believe they are.....
    But
    To sleep warm.... down bag, wool blanket, inside a canvas swag, foam pad.

The cowboy movies sleeping on the ground with one wool blanket as a cover and horse blanket on the ground....and wake up to snow?....Naw....Vast stretch of imagination unless you are very tough.

2) cheap blankets are cheap blankets...you get what you pay for.....

3) good blankets are worth the money and are a life time investment.

22. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
  23. MountainMan706

MountainMan706 BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The best/nicest that I know of

Faribault Mills (Made in USA), Queen size, Machine washable, Very thick and warm, $160 blanket
    I own this blanket as well as a few other, cheaper ones from other places
    This blanket is VERY nice
    (cheaper blanket listed below)

[​IMG]

Military Surplus, Twin Size, (sportsmans guide online store) $40 blanket
    (they sell other blankets cheaper but the sizes start to run slightly smaller than a twin)

24. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own and use several museum quality reproduction Civil War blankets. They are all thick and warm, but the warmest of them all is also the coarsest and crudest. It is an exact reproduction of a US issue blanket based on the Danish exchange blanket. In 1850, the US exchanged complete sets of its issue military uniforms and equipment with Denmark. The US equipment is meticulously preserved in Denmark and the blanket was studied and duplicated. It is very coarse and scratchy but very warm. It's my favorite wool blanket. Sometimes good pure wool blankets of this type appear on Civil War enthusiast auctions and message boards, but command top dollar. They are however, well worth the expenditure.

25. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I buy lots of old wool blankets on ebay relatively inexpensively. It's a compulsion....

I can sleep comfortably with one of the inexpensive, COARSE, brown wool foreign military/hospital blankets, so I never understood the whole "wool is itchy" thing...

I seem to be able to generally do better with cold than some others do, I think, and I tend to not need as much cover.

26. lobo9er

lobo9er Scout

Blog Posts:
    doesn't hurt to check goodwill I have found a lot different stuff there.