1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Wool blanket size

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Steven673, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am curious if there is an ideal size for wool blankets for propper coverage. I am considering saving my nickels for a Witney or HB point blanket. I'm not asking about thikness but more about the dimensions. I am a little guy at 5'6" if that helps. Thanks in advance.

2. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do have a Beaver State blanket that is a very good blanket but I took it out for the first time and it wasn't quite large enough to cover my shoulders and neck very well in a diamond configuration. I do not have the dimensions but it looks like a full. 20161104_145517.jpg

Rogerkoz likes this.
  3. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Going back 80 to 100 years or so, the uncut doubled blankets were considered ideal for outdoor use and were marketed for such while single blankets were described as ideal for home/cottage use. A doubled 4 point would be 72"x180", 12 pounds while a doubled 3 1/2 point would be 63"x162", 10 pounds.

These are now quite expensive as you are buying two premium quality blankets at the same time and because they are "uncut" that adds to their collector value as well.

That's a lot of blanket but it was what was needed to keep warm. That would be on top of some kind of insulation for a bed and possible near a fire as well. If you are using a blanket along with other bedding like a sleeping bag you can do with much less. Something like a single 3 1/2 or 4 point would be good. Personally I would not want anything much smaller than a 3 1/2 point. I am a pretty cold sleeper so I need more warmth than that unless its summer camping or I wont sleep a wink.

I think some people today are likely shocked when they read 12 pounds of wool blanket. Do an overnighter in the crisp autumn or early winter with a thin surplus wool blanket and at about 2:30am I think you will be praying for the other 10 pounds.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  4. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I didn't know that they had/used uncut blankets like that. I figured they had multiple "standard" blankets and just layered them. Learn something new all the time. I've tried the surplus blanket thing and about froze (granted without an insulation bed). I've got a thicker, though modern Pendleton I hope to try out this year. It most likely will be doubled up with another wool blanket as an extra layer.

5. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an uncut 3 1/2 point Hudson's Bay double blanket,,, it's one of my prize possessions. It's been my constant deer hunting companion for nigh 20 years,,,

Got it for $20 at a yard sale,,, it'd fill all but the largest Duluth packs. Can't imagine carrying it far,,,

6. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    My understanding is that the double blanket is a result of how individual blankets were taxed when imported. One long blanket was cheaper than two so they were left uncut. I am sure many did use multiple blankets if that is what they had and in some ways that is a more versatile way to go. Over time, the doubled uncut blanket in camping literature was likely interpreted as "two blankets" and it kind of is although it might be better described as one really long blanket.

One could achieve the same thing and possibly cheaper, by simply sewing two blankets end to end.

Some of the old books go into detail on the proper way of wrapping ones self up in a blanket so that you have multiple layers under and over you. They are worth studying if you plan on using blankets without some type of sleeping bag.

7. MountainMan706

MountainMan706 BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    IF you are 100% committed to old school gear get/use a wool blanket. But they are HUGE compared to a sleeping bag and well they are really really HUGE and BULKY. I have one that is 90x90 and it works ok for cool/col weather but below 50F I would need something else.

Haggis and Steven673 like this.
  8. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the responses. A 144" x 180" seems like it would be YUGE. When I took the beaver state last week I did use a Thermarest XTherm pad and built a fire wall and fire. I was quite warm even without complete coverage, but the temps were milder than I anticipated. I kind of mix the modern and traditional but more and more want to try more traditional skills. Because a quality blanket is so expensive I want to be sure I'm not buying to large of a blanket unnecessarily while still insuring I'm well wrapped.

Haggis likes this.
  9. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Queen size--80" x 90" or 90" x 90."

This allows you to make a Bushcraft Burrito. It will allow you to have more layers if you need them.

I have several different popular brands of wool blankets--including an HBC. If I had to do it over, I would save a lot of money and buy an Alpaca wool blanket:
    Alpaca Warehouse--30% Off
    ALPACA MILTARY WOOL BLANKETS
    Their biggest sale of the year is in about 3 weeks.

These blankets are warmer and softer than regular sheep's wool--they feel like cashmere. I've bought them for family and friends in the past and will do so again this year. I think that they are that good.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  10. MountainMan706

Blog Posts:
    Here is the blanket I bought, $175, blanket or you can buy it a bit cheaper direct from the blanket company. It is large and warm and best, machine washable. (garunteed does not shrink). They have other blankets too.

11. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Three point would do you.

cheers

12. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any fancy point blankets. I troll eBay looking to correct that shortcoming. I keep hoping to find something affordable but not collector grade since I plan to use it in the woods.

I have what is roughly a 3 point sized, double cut blanket from Humboldt Bay Woolen Mill and two 66" x 90" USGI blankets. I haven't used the old double cut blanket yet. Of the USGI blankets, one is from Northwest Woolen Mills (Rhode Island) and is a superior blanket in my opinion. Not as thick or heavy as a point blanket but sturdy and warm. The other is a knock-off from Amazon that is not as warm. I can cold camp down to mid 30's with the two USGI blankets and a canvas cover. For summer use, just the nicer USGI blanket and a sleeping mat is fine. Adding some kind of cover makes a lot of difference especially in wind.

FYI I am 6' 1" and... well let's just say not exactly a trim physique. I can wrap up on the diagonal a.k.a. bushcraft burrito but I am a restless sleeper. What I prefer is to fold the blankets in half, then fold up the bottom 12 to 18 inches for a foot box then secure the open side with a few blanket pins. That lets me toss and turn a bit with no drafts or anything.

Recently I bought a 4' x 15' painter's tarp that I am making into a bedroll cover. That should be an improvement over wool blanket only or surplus canvas thrown over the top of my bedroll. I'll get the chance to test it out the weekend of November 18-20.

rsnurkle, Red Ochre, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  13. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I may have to try the envelope fold with a folded up foot box with the one I have. I will definitely look into the alpaca blankets and have not ruled out the pathfinder. The pathfinder didn't seem to have as much loft but I know pictures can be deceiving. But then again I live in OK. We can have some very cold ice and snow storms come in but at times our winters can be mild as well so with the addition of my pad, tarp, and fire something like the pathfinder may be just fine, however there is just something a little sexy about a traditional point.

Haggis likes this.
  14. MountainMan706

Blog Posts:
    The Pathfinder is quite nice. It is both thick and pliable. The feel of it is really really really nice. I don't know how it compares to other wool blankets that cost over $100 or more, but, it is very nice. Also, it is machine washable.

15. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Regarding blanket size, the Danish Exchange blanket (which was part of an exchange of soldiers uniforms and equipment between the US and Danish governments in 1858), is approximately 68"x84" and weighs about 5 lbs., so GKit's assessment of a double blanket being in the realm of around 10-12 lbs. is probably accurate. The blankets used during the War Between the States, at least in the Yankee armies were issued off a roll, being cut off between the end stripes. I have several very high end reproductions of both Confederate and US issue blankets and all of them are real heaters. You can significantly increase the warmth of a wool blanket by stitching on an outer layer of canvas. This was also a period practice, although it does increase the weight. Hopefully Redcell will chime in. He is a blanket master!

Haggis, Red Ochre and Steven673 like this.
  16. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I took a look at their website and am very interested in these. I noticed some were 100% alpaca and some were a blend of alpaca and Moreno. Is there a benefit in your opinion to the blend in wool or do you prefer the 100% alpaca?

Haggis likes this.
  17. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

Most of the ones on their site are alpaca-merino (sheep) blends.

Pure Alpaca is warmer and lighter (based on comparable thickness).

Cost is probably why they do it.

The Banderita is the blanket you should look at for your area. I went with the Queen size.

Wait for the sale. Shipping is probably higher than it should be. These are still an outstanding value.

I use one every night in the winter at home. I also have the lighter one for Fall/Spring.

18. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Guide

Blog Posts:

Here are some antique uncut HB blankets.
    To separate:
    Measure to the middle on one side and make a small cut into the selvage edge and pull apart by hand.
    No end stitching needed on Hudson's Bay blankets as they have self healing ends.
    Witney and Eaton's Trapper point blankets share a similar twill weave but came factory with fancy stitched ends.

TMC DOUBLE.jpg s-rwewrtfl1600.jpg s-l1reghh600 - Copy.jpg s-l5004.jpg s-l5002.jpg UnSepPair3.5.jpg il_fullxfull.811852571_8pxw.jpg DSCN9532_zps2c5c3d81.jpg Double Blankets, MFT, Chadron, NE 2007-06-26 11.50.24.jpg UNCUT1850's.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Luafcm, T. Pollock, geneaut and 7 others like this.
  19. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    To tack on to the excellent and rare blankets RedCell posted photos of, it is not uncommon in 18th and 19th century writings and journals to see folks talking about "a pair of blankets". Thanks RedCell, I have always wanted to see photos of these!

Steven673 and Red Ochre like this.
  20. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Those are some really awesome blankets. Thanks again guys I've learned a lot from this thread.

21. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There is a veteran's day sale today for 15%. Will the upcoming sale you mentioned be more than that? I think you've talked me into the alpaca.

22. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    It was 30% at Thanksgiving last year.

23. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Awesome I'll wait then.

24. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just placed my order for a queen size alpaca blanket. Thanks again for the heads up on the Black Friday sale I appreciate it.

Harper likes this.
  25. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Just FYI -- Aside from the Black Friday sale at alpacas4less.com there are some point blankets (3.5, 4 and 6 point) on eBay right not for not too much dough. I bid on a couple but I have a truly difficult time spending too much on a vintage blanket that I am just going to drag around in the woods. Hopefully I'll end up with one. :)

Steven673 likes this.
  26. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just for info. I'm 5'9" and weigh 245lbs. I use a Faribault Woolen Mills (Pure & Simple model) king size measuring in at 108"x96". It weighs in at 6.14 lbs. I find it provides ample length diagonally to make a nice foot box, wraps under me very well, and has enough left at the top to cover my head if folded down. I sleep on my side and the head "fold" allows me to be pretty much covered and enclosed in it. It is a large and bulky blanket. I tested it recently at approximately 35 degrees with a slight wind (approx 5 mph) on top of a ground cloth and a sheet of reflectix with no fire. Wearing jogging pants, wool socks, a t-shirt covered by long sleeve flannel shirt, and a beanie I was chilled in fifteen minutes. The test was for the new blanket and reflectix (tried with and without) to see what additional steps were needed to supplement the developing system. I hope this helps.