Wool socks in hot weather?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by ReallyBigMonkey1, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    To start with, I threw away ALL my cotton socks years ago . I learned my lesson with sweat stink and rot. Lol. Now for hot weather I wear polyester or poly nylon acrylic blend. I wear wool in the winter . I'm hearing of some folks wearing wool socks in hot weather. Is this tolerable only? Is there an actual advantage to this? Has anyone here ever tested this or have any experience with wool in hot weather? Now I'm talking lace up boots, not sneakers.

ManyHammers, isme, Red Wing and 7 others like this.
  2. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It's 110 degrees here. No way I'm wearing anything wool.

3. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wear wool socks all year. Granted, I live in a cooler climate than you but it still reaches into the 80's and 90's in my area in the summer. If I'm wearing shoes on those days I have thin low cut wool socks. Now on to your actual question...They never make my feet feel gross and wet when wearing them in my army boots. When in the woods during summer I still wear mid-weight wool socks and my feet have never felt too warm and usually wear calf high wool socks with them.

Advantages: They dry fast over a fire and are less apt to burn than a synthetic sock.
    They are naturally antimicrobial...no, or very little stink during extended wear.

These are my experiences, yours may vary.

I suggest you try one pair out on a hot day and see how they feel for you.

4. theDuck

theDuck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll wear wool socks year round. Yes my feet sweat big time but they sweat in the winter too. It doesn't bother me. I wear insulated work boots year round too. I don't have any disadvantages or advantages. But that is just me.

5. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    Edit: I suggest trying modern wool merino socks. I use Farm To Feet and SmartWool.

6. Swineflu

Swineflu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear lightweight warm weather wool socks in Texas in the summer. I look online and try and pick up what military folks in hot areas use.

7. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear them all year. Wearing them right now with my Whites jumpers, it's 94° and I'm happy.

On firelines, it's much hotter, and that's the standard.

If it's hot and you're working, sweat and heat can't be avoided. Wool is as or more comfortable to me, and causes the least long term problems so I use it.

8. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Guide

Blog Posts:
    Summer time, I occasionally wear Smart Wool liners. They are 60% wool but about half the thickness of their lightweight hikers. Winter time, I wear them with the medium weight ones.

9. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I did recently buy three pairs of military wool socks in coyote color. That's what made me start this post. After seeing the modern coyote color I was shocked to think the military wore them in the desert.

10. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    You make an excellent point. If you're gonna sweat anyway then sweating in wool is better than sweating in cotton.

11. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yep. I wear wool socks and boots every day. They’re so much better than cotton or anything else I’ve tried. You’re only as happy as your feet and wool socks keep my feet happy no matter how hot it gets.

JohnP

12. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same as others, wool year-round. Only different weights. Wool also is naturally cooling as it wicks and evaporates moisture.

13. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My son wears Smart wool all summer on the job and I switch from them to polyester blend in the summer.

14. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wool with a liner all year round when hiking. Winter time wool is thicker than summer.

I used to love smartwool, then found darn tough which I liked better. Just this year I bought some bridgedale socks and like those the best thus far. Here is a link to the bridgedale 4 season sock system which thus far I am loving. https://lathropandsons.com/4-seasons-bridgedale-sock-package.html

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    NWPrimate, JohnP, central joe and 6 others like this.
  15. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wear the heavier wool socks in my snake boots. Warm-yes, Sweat-yes, But a lot more comfort.

16. Oakenhart

Oakenhart Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wool year round for me, darn tough wool crew hiking socks. I pretty much live in full leather work boots and my feet stay much healthier than they did when I wore cotton.

NWPrimate, JohnP, Muleman77 and 3 others like this.
  17. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wear wool socks every day. Way better than cotton.

18. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hiked 22 km of road in steel toes and woolies midsummer. You get soupy sock either way. It stunk less and snugger fit, in thick wool. My companion was wearing thinner socks and complained of blisters halfway.
    Cheers Jim

19. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This, exactly. Thin wool in the summer, thick in the winter. 91 deg today, and I'm doing fine.

20. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wool (merino) year round for me too, I do need to get some thinner weight ones though for the summer. I started wearing wool all the time last year and they're just more comfortable to me. Tried to go back to cotton for the summer but hated them.

21. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    Where I live it is hot,, today it is 107F. I cannot, at anytime of the year wear any polyester socks, or any blend of poly and cotton. I do wear light merino wool socks in summer and heavier merino wool socks in winter. Polyester makes my feet feel like they are on fire. That's with any type of shoe or boots.

22. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear wool year round. In the summer I wear those low socks instead of ones that come above the ankle.

23. carpenter

carpenter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Merino wool year round for me. They just work.

24. MisterE

MisterE Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I choose to wear wool socks with lace up boots all year mostly because I prefer the feel of wool socks on my feet. I only wear lightweight wool socks in the summer months though. The only time I notice my feet getting too warm is when I sit down and kick my feet up at the end of the day and then they feel like they are on fire for whatever reason. Throughout the day I don't notice my feet getting uncomfortably warm.

25. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Darn Tough year round, don’t own any other socks.

26. azmike9

azmike9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear wool socks all year. I drive Jeep tours and I am out side all day year round. Wool works best.

27. Lode

Lode hull down Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a fan of Darn Toughs, personally, and wear them all year long. Now if I could just convince my wife that cold water and no machine drying heat means... don't put it on warm to wash and low heat to dry!!!
    They're a little salty for socks ($15-$25/pair) but they're comfortable with decent cushion, they dry quickly and don't hold stink/funk like other socks... Lifetime warranty for exchanges, made in America
    darn toughs.jpg

28. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya! About half the wool socks I've ever owned got ruined during washing or drying. Everyone keeps mentioning Darn Tough so it's time I try a pair

T. Pollock, Lode and Primordial like this.
  29. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    Farm to Feet, and wool socks sold under the Bass Pro/ Redhead brands also contain a lifetime warranty. I know that with the Redhead/Bass Pro ones, if you ever wear a pair out they will send a new pair too. You just need to keep your order slip/receipt in your sock drawer and mail in with the socks to get a new pair. Both brands are also made in the USA.

30. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:

I noticed the same with cotton. I have a physical job and my feet sweat a bit. Noticed my wool didn't smell at all at the end of the day and kept my shoes fresh so I started wearing them all the time. Now its 80s and 90s and I've kept doing it with no issue. I have smartwool socks and the Terry wool socks and I prefer the smartwool but no issues with the Terry wool. G2g in my book.

31. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In the summertime, I don't wear socks a lot of the time, but I have found wool socks to be quite comfortable when I do wear socks. Combined with desert type boots with mainly nylon upper construction (or Palladium canvas boots), my feet remain dry and comfortable on days that are 90 to 100 degrees. I can wear them for 2 or 3 days and they don't smell bad either. And you can give them a good cold water bath with a bit of Woolite.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    ReallyBigMonkey1 likes this.
  32. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I actually have a pair of OTB Desert lite boots so I need to try them on the hottest days with wool socks now.

camp casey, T. Pollock and Primordial like this.
  33. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wool in my boots in Florida, year round.

34. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also wear Bass Pro Redhead and Huntworth wool socks everyday year round. The only time I don't is if I'm going fishing and wearing my water shoes which I wear very thin liners with.

35. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't always wear socks, but when I do, they're wool or wool/blend. Year around.

36. Scoman

Scoman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wear Costco merino blend all year round.

37. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I buy lightweight merino wool socks at Walmart. They're fairly cheap. I wear them year round. My feet don't get any warmer than any other socks. Wool allows my feet to breathe and the moisture wicks away.

Cotton socks get moist like a cute cheerleader in the back seat after the big game. The fibers get matted down and everything starts to smell bad. I don't have that problem with wool. I have medium and heavyweight wool socks for winter outdoors use.

You really can't go wrong with wool socks. For those who have problems with wool, try merino wool. It's almost non-itchy. It comes from merino sheep, not your run of the mill mutton sweater wearing sheep.

Steve

38. Niagara

Niagara Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am fortunate enough to have a monster in law that knits me a pair every year for Christmas and if I ask nice and bring her wine and wool she will make me more on demand.
    I typically wear them then all year, camping, with my casual work shoes. Even last week I wore them for three days in the woods with my Keen sandals.
    no stink either.
    Niagara

ManyHammers and ReallyBigMonkey1 like this.
  39. bobs1415

bobs1415 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As long as the shoes let some air circulate, medium weight wool socks work fine for me in hot weather.

40. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wool socks are all I wear outdoors, year round... I wear dress socks to work because I have to. I don't go out as much in the summer due to me living on the Sun, but when I do, wool's the way to go. Get it wet, especially with my canvas Palladiums, and your feet will stay cool all day. Up Norther, also during the summer, I wear them canoeing, hiking, backpacking, all over, on vacation.

I started out with Wigwam Everlasts, and loved them. SmartWool also made some merino wool socks that I tried and liked. I then bought two pairs of DarnTough; one pair is a lighter weight with cushion sole/heel, and the other is cushion all over (same thickness throughout, no thinner top). They are both too tight and haven't loosened up, and I don't like them as much... they make my feet tired. Still good socks, but not my favorites... I go back to the Wigwams and SmartWools mostly.

41. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Diabetic, can’t afford to have foot issues so it’s wool year round for me.

42. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hey Steve, you don't happen to remember the brand name do you? I've got to get some inexpensive light weight ones.

43. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wear wool socks all year here in the desert, with heavy 10" leather boots. Granted it's a dry heat here but it does get hot. I've heard many stories of old timers that wore a wool union suit all year also, I guess it was early AC "evaporative cooling".

44. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back in the Nam we were issued wool socks for the jungle boots .
    Our big problem was jungle rot since our feet were wet much of the time .
    Not much time to dry our socks either in the triple canopy since we rarely ever stayed the same place two nights in a row .
    Myself I took great care to dry my wool
    Socks as much as possible because it was extremely hard to get medivacced and your feet would get so soft and that the slightest irritation could turn into a blister or jungle rot .
    We even went so far as to pop off the backs of our claymores and harvest little pieces of c4 to burn inside a little poncho teepee to dry our selves . I would always hang my socks from my shoulders to dry out over the c4 .
    I can’t remember for sure but I think we only had one pair of socks ,which seems stupid .
    Under normal circumstances the jungle boots pumped water out of the arch as you walked along and the socks would dry out on their own . Monsoon season changes all that .

45. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've gone to thin wool socks year round, as thin as I can get them without my toe going through instantly. I've found that for me a thicker wool sock just means more sweat retention and colder feet in the winter. If its cold I either add vapor barrier socks or a pack boot liner rather then thicker socks.

For summer use I do find wool to be far better then cotton, but I would like to try some pure synthetic blends like the DeFeet Aireator, I'm curious if they dry faster after creek crossings or last longer then wool (the later is almost assured).

46. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like the lighter weight SmartWool socks, even in the summer. It often is in the 90s -100F here. For my work boots I buy the wool blend socks. Not as nice as SmartWool but better than cotton or full synthetic IMO.

ManyHammers and ReallyBigMonkey1 like this.
  47. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like Darn Tough myself. I wore some of their lightweight running socks in a coolmax blend and a pair of wool in the same weight while being drug around Disney world for four days. I can say the wool socks were noticeably warmer than the coolmax. I stick with the coolmax for summer but the lightweight wool is perfect in winter here. Many people complete long distance hikes with just two pairs of these gems and I find no wear in mine after a year.

ReallyBigMonkey1 likes this.
  48. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    My wool socks stink. They also compress at the bottom and turn hard. I see them as having the same disadvantages as cotton they just go 2-3 times as long before getting to that point. Still, mine do stink and are almost unusable if worn for more then 4 days in a row. After 7 days I may as well not wear socks. That said, I was just wearing some thick wool socks in South East Asia and my feet were just fine. Through hot humid days and monsoon rains, my feet were fine. I also wear them in hot dry weather. I prefer wearing wool socks year round. But, mine do stink. And, they are difficult to really get clean when washing in a sink. They sometimes still stink and harden up after being washed. I have also done well with quality cotton athletic socks.

ReallyBigMonkey1 and riverjoe like this.
  49. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    wool socks year round; they vary in thickness and height depending on season

Darn Tough convert here too

50. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    lol I've worn wool socks in 135* beats cotton or synthetic any day