Work rant regarding edged tools.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by PACoureurDuBois, Dec 8, 2018.

1. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So I'm at work, and our House Supervisor pays us a visit yesterday.
    I'm in the kitchen preparing lunch, cutting up chicken.

She comes in to see what I'm whipping up. At this point she notices the pocket clip of my folder in my pocket.

She says, politely, "Hey, you really shouldn't have that here."

"Have what?"

"That weapon. You can't have weapons in the house."

"Surely you can't be referring to my pocket knife?"

"Yes, that. Next week, don't bring it or I have to do a write up."

Firstly, let me say, my boss is awesome. Shirt-off-your-back, loads of common sense kinda gal.

We recently enacted a very strict fire-you-on-the-spot no-weapons policy because of one dum-dum having a pistol in his car and telling everyone about it.

All the while I'm holding a large 8 inch kitchen knife. So I place the kitchen knife down, and remove my folder from my pocket and put it next to it, and said, "Ma'am, can you please explain why one tool is okay to have in the house and one is not? It's clearly not a weapon. And even if it was considered a weapon, then by extension, so is the kitchen knife. "

She looks down at the two tools, common sense kicked in and she says, "You're right, this is stupid. Just keep it in your pocket."

2. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Nice story. The masses have been trained to fear. Part of me wishes that you had a tradition folder in the pocket with a tactical flashlight clipped to your pocket. The story would have have took a funny turn with pulling a flashlight out and asking what is wrong with it.

JeffG, GoodPhotos, JasonJ and 14 others like this.
  3. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Been there.

It's all about the perception and connotations that people have for someone else's gear. In my most recent case it was my Gerber Diesel on my belt, I was the kitchen manager and a dishwasher went to the owner and 'told on me'. It was plain for all to see, a multi-tool. Never mind the spiderco clearly visible in my left front pocket.

Tact is the operative word, it's all in how you break through that first negative impression to show them it's a tool, not a weapon.

Good on her for realizing it and good in you for using tact coupled with common sense.

rsnurkle, JeffG, GoodPhotos and 15 others like this.
  4. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good that she saw things your way but you still have to be concerned about her supervisor and upper management. At work we constantly have to deal with rules created by people who have no idea what it takes to do our job. Some of the safety regulations are reasonable but others are unbelievably ridiculous. I'm an electrician and the company has a list of knives that are considered safe by their standards.

5. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    An uncommon supervisor, good for both of you!! joe

6. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So much boiling up inside after reading this and I'll stop myself from ranting on and on. What exactly is happening to this world? Thank goodness she used logical discretion and saw the obvious. For the most part personal responsibility is dead and everyone seems to cover their butts. The day seems fast approaching when individual freedom is gone.
    Now get off my lawn you whippersnappers!

7. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    Also, this is the same job where the head of our region, carries a mini pepper spray on her keys.....on company property....and gave us a lecture on no weapons in the workplace. When another fella pointed out that she had a weapon on her person, she immediately responded with, "We'll I'm leaving the property right after this lecture so it's okay." Ahoy Captain, Double standard off the port bow!

8. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    FWIW, this was the folder:
    20181208_120743.jpg
    Not tactical by any means.

9. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You handled that respectfully, and appropriately. I'm glad to hear she came to her senses. Well done and congrats for having a good boss. They are hard to come by.

rsnurkle, JeffG, GoodPhotos and 10 others like this.
  10. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    No kidding. This lady is wonderful. She's not really a boss. She's a leader.

11. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I used to work at a place where razor blades (the kind you use for wet shaving) were used daily for quality sampling.

Despite decades of no injuries, the insurance company wanted to charge higher premiums.

Razor blades were replaced with "safety cutters". An employee ended up slashing his wrist open after the plastic "safety" cutter broke during use.

Someone with a sense of humor posted a copy of the accident report next to the "proud to be blade free" sign.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    rsnurkle, JeffG, JasonJ and 10 others like this.
  12. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    out of sight, out of mind

13. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I usually have a SAK floating in my pocket. Can't see it till I need it. But I forgot it at home, and the folder was in my jeep.

14. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Only members of the Swiss Army should be allowed to carry those military grade weapons...

:D

15. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh ok. Well then using that logic my response would be "well I'm leaving the property right after my shift so it's ok". I've never worked anywhere that says no pocket knives, even my current job says "no firearms" and yet I can think of 7 guys out of 40 that pocket carry a pistol all night.

Out of sight, out of mind. I know it's crazy how easily you can get fired from the type of work you do though.

16. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    I know a few guys and gals that carry on-premises. But they're smart about it.

17. MEC003

MEC003 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had to stop carrying my spyderco persistence at work. WAY too scary! I think I'm one complaint away from not being allowed to carry my leatherman skeletool. It's really a sad state of affairs. Our disasterling preparedness plan used to recommend having a small knife in your emergency kit. I pointed that out and now it's been removed from all guidelines relating to disaster preparedness. I happen to live and work in an area where people get alarmed easily when it comes to tools perceived as "weapons"

18. Edwin Moss

Edwin Moss Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad to hear that the situation was resolved well!

It's a shame to see, time and again, instances of rules and regulations put into place largely, if not solely, to take responsibility off of people for being vigilant. I understand the precaution of not having weapons so readily accessible but, like in this case, the rules override common sense, however briefly.

Too often these days do people fear objects rather than consider with caution the individuals who utilize them. I know there is no simple solution but surely it's not banning anything and everything that can be considered a "weapon". Rather than that, let's maybe engage with each other more and pay more attention to the people around us. I know that's a difficult prospect for many people since we're in an age where meaningful engagement and communication is becoming more scarce but it's the best long term solution I can think of off the top of my head.

Anywho, that FinnWolf is a nice looking folder!

19. Staleym

Staleym Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. As a Case Manager and Mental Health Professional, I have worked with Severely and Persistently Mentally Ill Violent Offenders in locked and unlocked facilities and in the community. I told I couldn't have a EDC knife on me at work. I objected saying that they require me to drive a company car in a city with multiple bridgecrossings and is in a very high risk earthquake zone. My point was that it was not beyond possibility that an earthquake could collapse a bridge that I was driving on and that a water escape from a submerged car can depend on having a tool that can do that. The corporate HR Director thought for a moment and told me I can carry my knife on duty, but to leave it in the car when I had contact with clients. I kept my CRKT knives clipped to my pockets and no one ever said a word to me about it again. Another incident was a Case Manager with another agency in was stabbed to death when she entered a client's home. He had been taken off his psychotropic meds just prior to undergoing surgery, as his meds had negative interactions with the anesthesia. She was stabbed to death with a kitchen knife.

As a Martial Arts Instructor (side job to my low paid Case Manager job), I always taught my students that a knife or gun or whip or whatever is just a tool. The human brain that uses those tools is "the Weapon".

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Metaldog, JeffG, ozarkhunter and 15 others like this.
  20. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great story. Glad to read that your handling of the situation caused your boss to start thinking.

21. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thx for sharing. Glad to hear common sense prevailed.

22. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Well......

....if you really cared for your boss, you would have followed her directive without question and left your knife home...

...NEXT WEEK. I work in regulatory compliance, so I'm pretty picky about how stipulations are worded. She only stipulated that you should leave the knife home next week, not the week after, not forever. Perhaps next week there will be a legitimate reason to leave it at home, such as POTUS visiting your workplace. :D

In all seriousness, she was at least reasonable enough to come to her senses. Her initial judgement is questionable, but she isn't a lost cause yet.

If it isn't inappropriate within your workplace to give token gifts, consider getting ner something small and nondescript like a Leatherman Squirt or a Spyderco Ambitious as a way of saying "thanks for being reasonable" and state that in your note.

23. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The company I work for is headquartered in NJ...not to start any issues with my BC brotheren from the Garden State, but it's dominated by some pretty liberal thinking. We have a "no weapons" policy but knives have never be addressed. I was told that one guy was told by HR that his knife was larger than what was allowed. He asked them to show him in the employee handbook where it stated what the maximum allowable blade length is; he never heard back from them...

As for me, I don't carry a knife, I carry a "tactical butter spreader". :dblthumb:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  24. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    My work does not allow knives at all. To the extent you are not allowed to bring silverware to eat your lunch. Plastic disposable ware is provided for you.

25. Staleym

Staleym Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seems fair. It applies to everyone in every situation, everyone knows it and they provide an alternative. Still all in all, a plastic knife, fork or spoon can be used to cause serious injury and all ball point pens can be tactical if used appropriately. I've seen a ball cap use both offensively and effectively. Again, it's the human that's the weapon the rest are just tools.

26. weaselrunner

weaselrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    At work we are not supposed to have anything but an auto retract utility knife(company approved only ) and use only while wearing cut resistant gloves. The ops manager hates it went I go out a rant about how there is a full butcher block of knives in the kitchen but the delicate desk jockeys up front are under no restrictions for using them.

27. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow...I don't know if I could handle working there!

28. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Purveyor of sharps and savory burnables. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This. ^^^

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  29. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have to echo that your respect for your boss and tactful approach to the situation deserves respect.

I used to work for an
    ambulance service whose corporate offices were out of state but whose local operations encompassed a pretty large urban and rural swath of land. The station itself was next to a rocky gully, and it wasn't unknown for rattlesnakes to show up in the yard.
    One day, corporate sent an HR rep ti a company meeting. She asked who was carrying a knife. EMS folks being what they are, a variety of blades were put on the table, including a fixed-blade boot knife carried by a 50-year old female supervisor. :) The HR rep told everyone that knives were not allowed at work. She also told everyone that cellphones would not be allowed except in authorized break times.
    When the meeting was received for a bit, the rep told everyone to be careful outside because she had heard there were rattlesnakes.
    A medic told the rep thay not long before, we had to close down the operation for a while. "Why?" Asked the rep.
    "Well," said the medic, "a snake crawled up into the building, and nobody had a cellphone to call for help, and no one had a pocketknife to kill the snake!" :D

But yep, they provided us with an ambulance, a defibrillator, and a lot of drugs, but couldn't trust us with "personal cutting tools." Silly.

30. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    I worked EMS for a number of years, and our knife policy was that it had to be smaller than 2 inches.

Well I can attest to the fact that NO ONE had a blade smaller than two inches. We all carried 3-5 inch blades. And everytime HR asked about it, we just said, "It's not a knife, it's a seat belt cutter."

31. trentu

trentu Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was stopped at our State Fair for the same thing. I was asked to just keep it down in my pocket so people wouldn't see it. My ankle holster found the whole thing very funny!

GoodPhotos, JasonJ, Staleym and 7 others like this.
  32. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I worked for a big HVAC company that had a "no weapons policy". I was a lead man, and drove one of seven box trucks for equipment installations.

We were in an office building, pulling low voltage wire above several large expanses of drop ceiling, which required us to move the ladder constantly to remove the tiles, then push the wire about 4 feet at a time. This was taking forever, and being "field expedient" as I am, I had an idea …..

The next day, I brought my blowgun, some darts, and a spool of fine waxed dental floss to the job with me. The idea was to attach the string to the dart, and "blow" the dart, and string over several 4" expanses of ceiling tile, and grid, tie the string to the wire, and pull it across, thereby drastically reducing the time and effort to complete the job.

This worked very well, way beyond my expectations. That day we easily pulled 10 times as much wire as the previous day. I was able to "shoot" the dart over 6 or 7, four foot tiles, cutting our time, and costs, drastically.

The next morning, I was pulled into the office, and reprimanded for bringing such a deadly weapon to work with me, and was sent home, and threatened to be fired for the offense. Some concerned employee had complained that he didn't feel safe in the presence of such a weapon, and my boss actually went into MY truck, and confiscated MY tools and destroyed them, without my knowledge, and without my even being there !!! :mad:

The concerned employee did not work there very long.

Well, this was a huge job, and apparently the job was bid for time and material, and the general contractor, a "sensible" man, saw the new crew go back to the original way of pulling wire 4 feet at a time, and called the owner of the company, and complained that they were taking way too long to do the same job I was doing MUCH faster, and threatened to drop us as installers if something wasn't done.

Needless to say, after several calls from my boss that went unanswered, and finally, a call from the owner, apologizing for the situation, and asking nicely that I bring this dangerous weapon back with me to the job. I reluctantly agreed, told him that my stuff had been taken, and requested that the company replace my costs for my "equipment", and to reprimand the man who bent my tool in half.

Luckily, I had another blow gun that I brought back, and within a week, I had every truck in the fleet these new "tools" on their trucks. I was given a company credit card, and asked to "get whatever you need".

The boss was never reprimanded, supposedly because the trucks were company property, and he was looking out for the wellbeing of the other employees. :rolleyes: I didn't challenge this official decision, but supportive coworkers and I made his job way more difficult by skewing our paperwork so his job of inventory was a nightmare !!! :D Once a week he was in the stock room for hours, tryin to figure out why there was more, or less of this or that fitting, or why we were out of something or another !!!

I don't think he ever figured out what was goin on !!!

I became good friends with the owner, who was a huge hunter, and fisherman, and took me several times to his private hunt club to hunt pheasant and quail, and even allowed me to deer hunt his property.

33. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A follow up to the above story : We all had high pressure nitrogen tanks on the trucks for leak testing, and such, and with a small modification to the attachments, one could shoot a blowgun dart with 3000 PSI, straight through 2 layers of 3/4" plywood ….. Or so I heard !!! ;)

34. MountainWanderer

MountainWanderer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear all worked out fine. Your boss has some bit of common sense & is willing to change her decisions when logical to do so. Unfortunately, that is becoming rarer in this society.

Clearly, much of the Western world is insane. I absolutely knew that was true when an elementary school student was suspended for bringing a tiny GI Joe toy gun (an inch long) to school under their zero tolerance weapons policy.

That was one reason I moved back to rural farm country. The stupidity factor is far lower here. Many more people deal with real things, in the real world than in pushing paper & blindly following the rules.

charlesmc2, JeffG, WY_Not and 3 others like this.
  35. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to disagree with everyone else about what a great boss she seems to be. We wouldn't want her to change or define the policy, or allow her employees to defend themselves should the need arise. Then maybe I'm over sensitive as I have been " spoken" to about having a Leatherman as they handed me a S&W M&P and a AR15:confused:

JeffG, GoodPhotos, Staleym and 2 others like this.
  36. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's the rule not the logic. Follow the rule. All that is not mandatory is forbidden.

37. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Man, what a missed opportunity. How would she have reacted if everyone present got up and walked out of the room?

This past year at a local fair they had a security guard at the gate checking people for pocket clips for knives and turning them around to store in their cars. This is ridiculous enough on its own, but no more than 40 yards from the gate was a vendor who was selling cheap knives, nunchaku, throwing stars and $50 katanas.

Absolute idiocy!

38. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I work for a structural steel fabrication shop. At a weekly safety meeting recently, we were asked to consider carrying smaller folding knives instead of large fixed blades at work. Since for most of our potential cutting tool tasks a small blade is sufficient, and if a bigger blade is needed, there is likely a better tool for the job on the shop floor to begin with.

39. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    This is sarcasm, right?

40. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I went to see Ziggy Marley at Downtown Disney back in the day. They have a strict no weapons policy and searched at the door. Took three trips putting stuff in the truck before I could get in. Of course once inside someone tried to pickpocket me since a punch in the face would be the worst thing to come from it. He was caught in the act and did not succeed.

Staleym likes this.
  41. MountainWanderer

MountainWanderer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I did live in the big city it was irritating that I had to choose my carry knives based on the emotions of various snowflake types. Folders only. Limits on blade length. I only used black pocket clips, none that were chrome or shiny. The less noticeable, the better. I folded the flap on my cargo pants to break up the outline & cover most of the clip, etc, etc.
    In the meantime, I have a concealed carry permit and usually had a high capacity pistol on me that was concealed. :confused: No logic at all.

Now I’m in farm country. I carry a fixed blade knife as my EDC. Its perfectly legal here as long as it’s not concealed. And in this rural farm area folks don’t completely panic at the sight of a knife & sheath. There are lots of hunters & fishermen. And there are a lot of people who recognize knives as everyday tools.

42. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    No. Wish I could say that it was. Some people are so smart ( if ya dont believe me just ask em) or so drunk with their own importance they cant see the forest for the trees.

JeffG and Staleym like this.
  43. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    I was actually stopped by a bouncer at a bar once. Told me to take my knife to my car, cause he saw a pocket clip. I pulled on the pocket clip and showed him that it was in fact, my phone.

His response was to take the pocket clip off, or leave my phone in my car, because too many people will think it's a knife.

Me and the boys found a different watering hole that night....

JeffG, WY_Not, Outdoor Dauber and 2 others like this.
  44. Staleym

Staleym Scout

Blog Posts:
    Always said since reading Vonnegat samut: the Human Brain is large enough to get into trouble, yet not large enough to get you out of trouble.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    JeffG and bluecow like this.
  45. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A bit of a related story. On my wedding day before the ceremony (and after) I was getting crap from people and even my one groomsmen for having my folder on me. Two of my three groomsmen had folders on them as well. My wife had chosen to have little bottles of bubbles for everyone to take blow after the ceremony instead of throwing rice or anything. It wasn't until less then 5 minutes before the ceremony was scheduled to start I noticed that all the little bottles had a plastic wrapping on them. Lucky for me and two of my groomsmen we all had knives to open every bottle.

JeffG likes this.
  46. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    It is pretty common in the UK, but it's so strange to hear of institutionalised Aichmophobia here in The States. Of course, I live in a rural State where it is perfectly legal for adults to carry even a firearm (openly OR concealed) without asking the crown's permission. No one even blinks an eye at any knife. I've had folks ask what the tiny Sgian Dubh in my boot is when I'm wearing a kilt which allows me to impart a wee bit of Scots history to them, but I always have an Opinel, SAK, Leatherman or often even a sheath knife on my hip and have never had a comment other than 'hey...nice blade!'

MountainWanderer, JeffG and WY_Not like this.
  47. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    SMH.....

48. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Obviously we are part of a underground blade toting Militia that is spreading across America! (Hums Star Spangled Banner)

GoodPhotos and JeffG like this.
  49. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    Are you kiddin' me?? That's all the MORE reason to bring it, and have him sign the blade!!! A Trump knife to pass on down the bloodline. :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018 at 10:36 AM
    Sandcut and JeffG like this.
  50. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, keep in mind that any knife, except a SAK or trad slip joint, is going to appear tactical to muggles. Anyways.... the opening scene from CS's own manuf. promotional video :54:.

image.jpeg