Would you?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Kimber22, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Kimber22

Kimber22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Let's say you found a cheap but decent rifle. And you were going to carry it up and down a mountain. You have a bone stock production rifle. 24" barrel. minimal padding on the buttstock. Would you cut it down to 20" and recrown the barrel? Cut the stock down to 13" LOP INCLUDING a new recoil pad? You have very little into this. And if it doesn't work for you then your wife has a new rifle in 30-06. Glass bedding is optional but leaning toward it. What do you think? BTW, this is a laminate stock so not too worried about cutting it and drilling new holes for the screws.

2. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I detest the 30-06 round so no I wouldn't but if another caliber and similar setup hrll yeah I would

3. chndlr04

chndlr04 roughian #2 Supporter

Blog Posts:
  4. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    There's about 5million or so people with a very different opinion of the 30.06....what is it you dislike so much about it?

5. Kimber22

Blog Posts:
    Detest is a big word brother. Besides I couldn't pass up the price. And I did read an article about a guy using a 6.5 CM. Never recovered the bullet on an elk. Now this WAS just an article..... but I thought of you reading it. You might be spot on there.

Wasp, central joe and 08H3 like this.
  6. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    I have been know to do just tget and have at lest three in the safe now (Before they all fell off that damned boat)
    Make it work best for you!!

CW

7. 08H3

Blog Posts:
    My injured right shoulder cant stand the beating from it. Granted I never suppressed the one I had, I still didnt care much for it compared to my other rifles.

central joe and Doubles like this.
  8. 08H3

Blog Posts:
    I ain't saying carrying my 11.5# rifle is fun, but I dont get a sore shoulder firing a box of ammo from it lol

Plus I'm set to reload 6.5 and 308 once I get the space to... 30-06 just isnt a need for me personally. My uncles have laid waste to several deer with them but not me.

9. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    I dont detest the 30-06. It has stood the test of time. That being said, I prefer the .308 and IMO se no reason to choose a 30-06 0ver a .308. Quite the contrary.
    How ever, people should buy which ever gun, they prefer.

Don_Parsons, central joe and 08H3 like this.
  10. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do it. Take a few photos for us during the process :)

11. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Do it. No reason not to.

12. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    I prefer carbines, would you be doing the mods yourself? Will you reinstall the front sight?

central joe likes this.
  13. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Chop that thing, before and after pics. are mandatory. 30-06 can be downloaded or uploaded for quite a versatile cartridge. joe

14. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I would pillar bed it but other than that, yep!

Regards,

ezra

Kimber22 and Cwlongshot like this.
  15. Kimber22

Blog Posts:
    I think I will do it. Perhaps send it off to be chopped and re crowned so I don't screw it up. And for the record I already own the rifle.

Wasp and Outdoor Dauber like this.
  16. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There are SO many .30-06 rifles on the market. Instead of bubba’ing a new rifle I’d just find one with the features I want.

17. Kimber22

Blog Posts:
    No sights on the rifle. Scope only

18. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't hesitate to cut the barrel down. However, due to my large frame, I wouldn't cut the stock down because I don't like short LOP.

I certainly don't detest the '06, but it wouldn't be my first choice in a carbine either. But I understand why you did.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Kimber22 likes this.
  19. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cut the barrel , chop the stock , cerakote it pink and cover it in hello kitty stickers ,do whatever you want . You can have exactly what you want out of the rifle , and i would say you should just do it yourself you will have less money into it , it will be a learning experience , and it will be fun . Short carbines are cool and even if it is a thumper honestly are you going to go and put a box of rounds through it every week or only shoot it to sight it in or drop an elk .

Bridgetdaddy likes this.
  20. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Of course.
    Untold Mausers, Springfields, Krags, etc, etc, etc, have been purchased at bargain prices, and then been sporterized in a multitude of ways to make them into the various type of rifle their purchasers have desired.
    If you want to build a mountain rifle, and you have access to a lathe and a milling machine, I'd remove the barrel from the action, shorten it and retaper/reprofile the barrel contour, then recrown the muzzle when you've obtained the barrel configuration you're wanting.
    Take a look at a lot of the "featherweight" rifles to firm up your ideas before you start your mods.

21. Mikem

Mikem Scout

Blog Posts:
    Stay with the length of pull that fits the user, add a limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad. Barrel length is use case, personal preference. Light weight rifles, 5lb, carry a lot and shoot a little, weight does impact felt recoil.

Outdoor Dauber likes this.
  22. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Mossburg Patriot .30-06 in walnut for $400 with a decent Vortec scope. I chose .30-06 because the ammo was more widely available. The felt recoil is not punishing. I have read that felt recoil is largely controlled by stock design (and weight to a lesser degree) anyway.

x39 likes this.
  23. 1911srule

1911srule Guide

Blog Posts:
    No way I'd bubba a rifle. Just find one that fits the application...

24. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The only caution I can offer is take small slices (like a ½” at a time) off the stock and test fire it at the different lengths. The worst pop I ever got was from a .303 Enfield “Jungle Carbine” that had been cut further down to kid’s length. The .303 is not an especially recoil heavy round and I owned a jungle carbine for several years and enjoyed shooting it but with a couple of inches off the stock it was a beast for a long armed man. But otherwise go for it, your rifle make it the way you want!

Torrin, Kimber22 and Cwlongshot like this.
  25. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    Its only bubba if ya hack it. If one is not capable of or experienced to do the proper work.

These days one can learn allot watching someone else do same work as found in uTube.

Both these “jobs” can be done with hand tools the average homeowner would likely have.

CW

1911srule, FreeMe, Torrin and 2 others like this.
  26. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would have no problem cutting the stock shorter, I like compact stocks, but I would not cut a 30-06 barrel to 20 inches but would cut it to 22 inches to keep it more efficient for burning slower powders.

27. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I'd cut it to 22 inches in a heartbeat. But if I could find a .308 to trade even for, I'd cut that one down to 20 inches instead.

28. Kimber22

Blog Posts:
    I too like a compact stock. There is less than an inch between Mrs and I. And I am thinking with clothes and possibly pack on I want the shorter stock. I'll stick with the 22" on the barrel.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  29. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's kind of an art fitting a rifle to our needs,,, it can be done yes,,, but at what value do we class the rifle that is about to be changed...

If I was thinking about owning a light weigth rifle I'd take a look at what's out there first,,, today's budget rifles are not overly expensive to buy and they are fairly light ready to shoot...

Examples might be the Savage Axis,,, Ruger American,,, Remington XRP,,, Mosbuerg and so on,,, plus you have the option of many different cartridges to choose from,,, including 30/06...

I have a few custom rifles that are more geared towards the heavy side of things,,, the trick for these builds is keeping the rifles balanced,,, lots of information on the web on how to balance them if a person chooses to go this route...

What works for me might not work for others...

A person might expect that this short light weigth rifle might not reach out there at long distances like a heavier rifle,,, but again,,, that's not saying it won't be up for the task at hand,,, no reason that a light weight ppack rifle can't reach out to distance if the person takes their time to get a clean break from the trigger...

I find it is easier to point and shoot heavier rifles because they work for me,,, a personal preference to me that is,,, what works for you or others is part of this mix...

The budget rifles come on sale once in a while,,, this is an option the same as doing a work over on the one you have,,, endless options on what direction you want to go...

My post is partly to do with what works for me,,, each person gets to pick and choose what works for them,,, that's what really counts...

Good luck finding what your after,,, think it threw and talk to other at the shooting range and sporting goods stores for the information your after... It never hurts to listen what some of us that have been in the shooting sports and hunting fields have to offer...

Ideas and opinions lead to endless possibilities and opportunities,,, innovative ideas for one's self that is...

The best bang for the buck is true bush craft. So long as the tool or idea is usable the next time it's needed... Ha

Cheers from the North

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  30. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cutting the barrel will reduce a the weight by 2 ounces which helps but instead of chopping the stock I would drill out the center to reduce weight.

I think keeping the length of pull is important especially for a caliber that has the recoil of 30-06.

Something else to consider is that laminated stocks are heavy. They’re made from layers of dense wood and glue. A walnut stock could very well be lighter.

What’s the weight of the rifle now? It might be simpler getting a new gun that’s already lighter weight.

The Ruger American is around 6 lbs. If the gun you’re looking at weighs 7 lbs you won’t be cutting 1 lb off of it. At most, cutting the barrel and drilling out the stock will reduce is 6 oz. Ask me how I know?!!!

Mountain hunting is going to but you in positions to shoot over valleys which means longer shots, which definitely requires a scope. Choose a light weight scope, and light weight base & rings.

31. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do you suppose that the engineers that designed the weapon knew why they made it that way ?

32. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    No, the marketing department designed it and gave it to the engineers to crunch the numbers to make sure it doesn’t blow up.

Kimber22 likes this.
  33. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so this didn't start life as a "bone stock production rifle" but here's my "mountain rifle". It's a 1923 Carl Gustaf Mauser chambered in 6.5 x 55 with an 18 1/2" barrel.

6.5 Mauser carbine.jpg

Kimber22 and Swampdog like this.
  34. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mountain hunting does not always mean long shots. I have hunted mountains for 30 years and longest I shot I have taken was 210 yards which seemed like a long ways, last year all the elk i saw were in the 80 to125 yard range.

With correct shooting technique compact stalks are not an issue with recoil. I hunted over a decade with rifles at had 12.5 inches of pull, and they did recoil. 35 Whelen with 250 grainers and 444 Marlin with 310s had plant of wallop in 7.5 pound rifles yet never came close to scoping myself.

Kimber22 likes this.
  35. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    So following that line of thinking... if you wear a large and I wear a extra large and only one of the sizes was what was engineered as correct... who get the shirt with the proper fit?

A Seedy Lot, FreeMe and Kimber22 like this.
  36. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    Of course they did and like all mass produced items they where given a budget and a time frame and a final cost . Usually too most items are designed to fit the largest group of users for the broadest range of uses . Want something special it usually costs you or you have to do it yourself . I also doubt this is some rifle that is destined to be a future classic and stocks and barrels can be replace if it ends up being a car crash .

FreeMe and Cwlongshot like this.
  37. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't see why not? I would pay to have the barrel cut and properly crowned, and depending on the stock cost I might have that done at the same time. I've got tools but I'm not willing to screw it up trying to mess with it. One little slip or a little off on the barrel or stock can affect accuracy or cost you money. Just not worth it to me.

Kimber22 likes this.
  38. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now, now. Gunsmiths weren't born knowing how to do gunsmithing... they had to learn their skillsets, just like everyone else has to learn a skill. ;)

Cwlongshot likes this.
  39. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, but like any profession, they've screwed it up enough times to know how to get it right. I don't have that kind of money or time.

40. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    You can learn how to properly shorten a barrel and re-crown a muzzle by practicing on a scrap piece of thick wall tubing, or on a scrap piece of round stock with a hole drilled/bored through its longitudinal axis. The lathe setup and process is the same. Then you can move to something with rifling in it. Attention to detail isn't as difficult as many might seem to believe, or make it out to be.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  41. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Nah, I'll just pay for it.

Kimber22 likes this.
  42. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    Guns and barrels where made LONG BEFORE THER E WAS EVEN SUCH A THING AS A LATHE...

Just as hunters where wuite sucksesful LONG BEFORE there was Camofladge.

Things where cut before there was a power saw or sander too...

There is a specail pride in doing things yourself and by hand.

CW

EDIT: i have chopped more then a few barrels. Crowning is NOT THE. 11 or 13 Degree you read of. Thats simply the angle of the depression the smith used to help to protect the actual crown the last place the bullet touches as it leaves the bore. You want that square and completely burr free.

As for the butt. We are all different sizes. We have different reasons for wanting shorter or longer. Making a rifle stock fit “you” is part and parcel to a accurate shooting rifle. EVERYTHING in accuracy is CONSISTENCY, so EVERYTHING that one can do to help with consistency will aid in accuracy. A rifle stock that feels good and fts well will mount consistently in the same spot.

Fitting a pad can be dont with a disc added to your drill Motor or with a disc sander. A jig helps but isnt required. ESPECIALLY if your gonna refinishing the stocks anyhow!! Recoil pads sand pretty easily. I have fit my last couple on the back porch in about fifteen minutes. Tape up the stock and carefully sand till you touch that tape level. Then finish with a file carefully.

Its rewarding “work” for most.

CW

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  43. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cwlongshot makes a good point. Given what the OP makes us think is not a particularly special rifle, it's a reasonable project for learning and applying a skill or two. The only thing that could really mess it up beyond reasonable recovery would be messing with the receiver. I'd still start with removing just two inches from the barrel though, and see how I like the finished product before going shorter.

Kimber22 and A Seedy Lot like this.
  44. Kimber22

Blog Posts:
    @FreeMe You are correct. This is not something special. It is a run of the mill 30-06 Savage 111 with the factory laminate stock. I literally have $250 into this rifle. So if something is messed up, or need to junk the barrel it is not of importance. And I have other rifles to fill what I need with this. I've wasted much much more money on trivial things. Just take a look at my first marriage.......

akbound, FreeMe and Cwlongshot like this.
  45. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Are you sure about that, CW?

"One of the earliest reliable references to lathes is Theophilus' "On Divers Arts," probably written in the 11th century by a metalworker named Roger of Helmarshausen. In this treatise, he mentioned two lathes. The first is a hand-cranked lathe for turned heavy bell cores."

Lathes may be far older than you believe. ;)
    http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/lathes.html

46. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    I should know better than to type such absolutes, As there is always some one to call ya on such things. ;)

My meaning was with modern power and power tools and such, many people feel without them such things are and can be insurmountable.

But you are correct. I never realized someone was using a lathe to make gun barrels in the 11 century...
    But I do find that questionable as first wide spread use of firearms wasn’t until about 1300’s and rifling wasnt even thought of till about the 1500’s...

CW

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  47. RobOz

RobOz Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a 20" barrel model 70 that likes 4064 and 150 grain. I say cut the barrel and stock. It will make a nice handy dandy sportin arm.

FreeMe and Kimber22 like this.
  48. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting how the early mortars and smooth bore cannon resemble that of bells. Perhaps there is a common historical connection or two concerning the adaption their manufacturing process. ;)

49. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Plus in worst case E.R. Shaw sells entire barrel replacement kits for many Savage action rifles. Heck, even opens possibility of pulling and saving, trading or selling current barrel if you choose and recalibering to any other similar action length, bolt face compatible (also changeable by the way), cartridge that you might deem more appropriate for your carbine uses.

Just saying.......;):)!

P.S. Good luck with the project by the way.

Kimber22 likes this.
  50. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Didn't he also write the musical Oklahoma?
    Sorry, that was Rogers and Hammerstein. Carry on.

Kimber22 and Akela like this.