1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Wound care in the bush

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Jason, Oct 25, 2008.

1. TheViking

TheViking Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You mean people aren't truthful with others when behind a electronic device and anonymity....

2. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a limited first aid kit and always have neosporin. but I have added a small quanity of a old time product called "ASAP silver solution" which is said to be a good antibiotic, for external use as well as internal. as long as you don't consume to much and your skin turns blue. Does anyone have any info on this product as to how effective it can be. I purchased mine from emergency essentials.

3. DBX

DBX Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no information on the silver solution. But I have heard good things about silver.
    I'll stick with Betidine, effective, cheap, and readily available.
    And can be used for water purification.

4. Bushyhippie

Bushyhippie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting info, glad I took the time to read a better part of this tread.

5. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cayenne pepper. Good with some types of food also.

6. Ernie Ohm

Ernie Ohm Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Oh yes, lots of bacteria. I was bitten a few months back and that sucker took a good 3 weeks to finally quit scabbing.Now i have a lovely purple bite mark for ever and ever. My big saving graces were the God given abilities to heal quickly with a very strong immune system.

7. FullSpectrumSurvivalist

FullSpectrumSurvivalist Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I did this about 3 weeks ago on a cut on my pointing finger, except I used Gorilla glue. I found the bead of glue allowed me to use that finger sooner, could hardly even write till I did that. Cut barely even visible now. All day it kept bleeding till I used the glue.

8. FullSpectrumSurvivalist

Blog Posts:
    Silver solution works, especially good on burns.

9. FullSpectrumSurvivalist

Blog Posts:
  10. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If anyone experiences a large deep penetrating wound needing stitches or [closure], I'd recommend getting to an ER. Pressure on the wound and clean dressing and get help. I've met some pretty rough and tough people, but doubt any of them could endure stitching themselves. Also, if you are going to close a wound make real sure it has been thoroughly cleaned and irrigated with clean or sterile water. The last thing thing you want to do is close in any "bugs" and have them proliferate inside you. I have seen people develop rapid infections that has developed into sepsis [systemic infection leading to complete organ failure]. Due to the overuse of antibiotics and subsequent development of superbugs [antibiotic resistant infections] I don't know any doctor who would write a script prophylactically, essentially leaving the decision to take them up to the consumer. I would leave the stitching to a trained medic/nurse/PA, NP, MD, or D.O. who has access to sterile suture kits, lidocaine, syringes, and sterile dressings. Signs and symptoms of localized infections are redness, swelling, excessive warmth, discharge, increased pain, and sometimes foul odors. Systemic infections often manifest with a fever. Localized infections need treatment, but generally you have time. If a fever develops it's emergent. I agree carrying a first aid kit with sterile dressings and streri-strips is a essential. Also, be up to date on tetanus vaccines. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

11. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing.I had no idea you needed 3-5 liters more or less to irrigate a wound.I like the idea of requesting antibiotics from your doctor.That's one for my list when I see him next.I try to be careful as mice on safety around/at my shelter when I'm using cutting tools.My ax is sharp as hell,not to mention my knives,and shudder to even think of a serious wound.I don't have staples,just butterfly enclosures,and bandage.On my list will be a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide.

12. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
  13. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I asked my doctor for extra antibiotics but he wouldn't prescribe them.Not to mention they expire

Subdood and DBX like this.
  14. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Flint_2016 likes this.
  15. Jubals Way

Jubals Way Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    That was some real good info , thank you for sharing :) I was wondering what you think about adding betadine solution added to the wound irrigation solution , and is it ok to use a real soft brush to clean out the wound ( such as with an axe )

hijact likes this.
  16. jackjack

jackjack wilderness done easy

Blog Posts:
    I recommend first aid classes and more. you can read and prepare some but in the wilderness nothing ever happens that may not become really bad.

We work with AXES and SAWS, and falling trees, and heavy loads where we break and sprain limbs, and FIRE, and STORMS, and Water, Hypothermia. Absolutely positively please spend as much time knowing how to handle these things as how to start a fire. If you go out and are responsible for a family, you REALLY need top know much more.

When I was much younger I was in Civil Air Patrol and received several levels of first aid training, including ground team style training where we had to triage, treat, and evacuate people under difficult circumstances from remote locations. We learned how to bind broken bones, stabilize the spine and neck, all these things become important in different ways in the wilderness. I would recommend anyone get some of this training, not just in a classroom, but actual situational practice." I'd just carry him out on a litter" becomes very difficult in the wilderness. from dirty hands that need to be cleaned while dressing a wound to keeping sand out , to protecting your own safety when helping others, to lowering people down hills in a made stretcher, all these things.

I totally recommend this as an anxiety reducer and a safety measure.

My best first aid equipment is A roll of Duct tape, it is an amazing tool in the wilderness. No first aid kit is complete without the new good stuff. it will close a gash, and it will stabilize anything.

Danny Boy likes this.
  17. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Much truth in this. I pick up duct tape rolls from the dollar store, they usually have several different colors to choose from. I use the camo for my trips into the woods, and keep red or orange in my vehicle kit.

18. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am 66 and my mother was 45 when I was born. My father's mother was born in the 1870's. She spent a lot of her time with me when I was a kid. Learned a lot from her, most of it still good even though she did not have lots of formal education. Come to think of it I was around a good number of folks born in the last two or three decades of 1800's. All of them were bright, mostly self-educated folks. Abe Lincoln, if I recall correctly was self educated past 3rd grade or so. Not many folks with lots of degrees after their name are not nearly so well educated as he. But I digress.

Whenever I cut myself she would say, "let it bleed good, so it won't get infected." And my recollection is that cuts that bled did not have a problem with any kind of infection. I think this supports the irrigation is a must comments.

Also, I believe the urine for irrigation was taught to military people who might be in captivity or otherwise unable to obtain sterile water for washing out any wounds they might have. This is not first hand info, by the way.