WTS - 1/2 Price Carve-A-Kuksa Sale - Updated 7-14-17

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 17, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    SOLD

Here is a nice one available from spalted maple guys. I left a little more carving work to be done on this one since that seems to be what folks prefer, so the price of this one is lower than the others I've offered. The walls are a little thicker than the others I've offered, the inside has not been sanded and I left more material for carving/shaping the handle to suit. Since this one is spalted it will take a thorough finish job to insure that it doesn't leak. I'll guarantee it not to crack like all the others but being spalted I can't guarantee this one not to leak, that depends on how well you do your part finishing it and what you use to do it with.

Holds 12oz.

$35 - Free shipping in the states - PayPal Only

IMG_6302.JPG IMG_6303.JPG IMG_6305.JPG IMG_6306.JPG IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6308.JPG IMG_6309.JPG

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Hoof and MommaJ like this.
  2. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I will take it but please me some ideas on how to finish it best to help prevent leaks

Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  3. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You got it MommaJ. If you sand the inside nice and smooth and finish it with several coats of 100% pure Tung Oil you won't have to worry about it ever leaking. Shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Hoof likes this.
  4. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Hoof, SmilinJoe and 1066vik like this.
  5. MiamiC70

MiamiC70 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any plans to make a traditional looking one with the two finger holes? Any plans on selling finished ones?

T. Pollock likes this.
  6. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I've sold several finished ones. Unfortunately the carpal tunnel in my wrists is so severe at this time I'm not able to do any hand carving to be able to do a completed one and I've been putting off having surgery for a long time.

Hoof likes this.
  7. Finner

Finner Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not to hijack T's thread but the finger holes are not traditional. That style was developed for tourist trade. Although admittedly kinda cool looking, when you grab yourself a log, axe and knife you will quickly discover why!

T. Pollock likes this.
  8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing the info bud. I think I've made two with the finger holes and didn't personally care for either one of them. Plus they were much harder to make.

Finner likes this.
  9. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    What's the most practical handle? I've seen some that are solid but contoured, others with a single hole, some that are stylized more like the handle of a spoon and curved...

T. Pollock likes this.
  10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'll see if I can round up a photo of what I personally like best. It's simple but it works great, which usually is what I find works best in most things... the old KISS rule. :dblthumb:

MommaJ likes this.
  11. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! That'd be great!

And yes, as I grow older I am finding the KISS principle applies to everything in life and is really the ultimate goal. I can't think of anything better served by being complicated or complex. My dad used to refer to the KISS rule all the time.

12. WestTnScout

WestTnScout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had the surgery over 15yrs ago and I am glad I did. 11 minutes start to finish and about 5 weeks to get back to what the dr said was 100%. I wouldn't recommend doing both hands at once because it took me about a week before I could even think about using that hand. My surgery was done through a 1/2 in hole at the wrist and you couldn't see the scar after a month. It was done arthroscopic. The only problem with it is that because of computer work for over 10 yrs to pay the bills I have started to notice some evidence of the return but for the moment it is mild so I am just pushing through it. The Dr did tell me that it was not a permanent fix because the tendon he cut would eventually grow back and the problem would return but it would take at least 10 yrs depending on what I was doing.

Hope this helps.

T. Pollock likes this.
  13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Sorry about that Jason, I got sidetracked yesterday and forgot to post the photos bud.
    This is my favorite style. I believe some call it the fish or boat tail shape? The radius under the handle and in the side of the handle makes for a very comfortable but secure grip between the thumb (on top) and fingers below the handle & wrapped around the bottom of the kuksa. This one was from cherry and went to @kcardwel

100_4210.JPG Kcardwell 12-13-15.JPG

Nakadnu, JasonJ and CampCowan like this.
  14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud, yeah mine has gotten so severe it's no longer if I'm going to have surgery... but when. Being a man that has always made things with his hands it's very frustrating not being able to do what I've always done.

15. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    No prob. Thanks for the picture. I like that style as well, it looks stylistically interesting while being simple, and effective.

T. Pollock likes this.
  16. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You're very welcome Jason, always glad to help in any way I can!

ETA: where the handle meets the kuksa is about 1" x 1", it's approx. 2" long & no wider at the end than 2" or they look too big & gaudy to me.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    JasonJ likes this.
  17. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Withdrawn
    Since my stabilizing chamber is on the way I'm going to save this one to experiment stabilizing a kuksa on. If it turns out well I may relist it.

I have a spalted birch Carve-A-Kuksa available
    guys and this may be the last one for awhile. I had a catch while turning this one and broke the tenon. I didn't think it was going to make one but after looking more closely it's fine and I was able to glue the tenon (not part of the kuksa itself) back on and finish turning it. Almost all the wood I milled/processed this last time is too far gone (spalted) to be suitable for kuksas. As I go through it making other things I may run across a piece or two but it's not likely. This isn't the best time of year to harvest trees so it will be awhile before I have anymore logs to process into blanks. Also before I harvest any more I've got to build or come up with some type of shelter to keep the logs in the dry until processed. Leaving them out in the weather like I have been doing just deteriorates them to quickly before I can get them milled into blanks and I absolutely hate wasting or losing any wood.

The inside of this one has not been sanded.
    Since this one is spalted it will take a thorough finish job to insure that it doesn't leak. I'll guarantee it not to crack like all the others but being spalted I can't guarantee this one not to leak, that depends on how well you do your part finishing it and what you use to do it with.

Holds just under 10 oz to the rim.

$35 - Free shipping in the states - PayPal Only

IMG_6372.JPG IMG_6373.JPG IMG_6374.JPG IMG_6375.JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    Nakadnu likes this.
  18. prairieofthedog

prairieofthedog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Tim if you could do me a 12oz.in spalted Maple,I'll take one.

T. Pollock likes this.
  19. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! Happy to if I can find a piece that's suitable (not too spalted & good grain orientation) to make one from. I have more maple than any other species so maybe.

20. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I withdrew the spalted birch kuksa above to experiment stabilizing one on since my chamber is now on the way. :)

As always thank you all for checking out my vendor forum & custom gear offerings!

T

Nakadnu likes this.