WTS - 1/2 Price Carve-A-Kuksas - (Updated 6-24-19)

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 17, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys,
    I thought offering these 90% complete kuksas might be a good idea for several reasons.

1. For those that can't afford a finished kuksa this option is much cheaper
    2. For those that would like to carve their own kuksa but don't have much experience carving.
    3. For those that have tried but their kuksas keep cracking before they finish it.
    4. For those that don't have suitable woods for a kuksa in their area.
    5. With this option I take all the risk away for folks to be able to successfully carve themselves one.
    6. Because I enjoy helping folks. :)

Perhaps the biggest issue with carving a kuksa is finding suitable wood (the right species of wood & big enough, it takes a much larger tree to get a proper blank from than most people realize) & "most importantly" the kuksa cracking after a person putting all that hard work into carving one! With the Carve-A-Kuksa option I've eliminated these major problems for folks by completing 90% of the work yet you still get to do some carving to personalize and make it your own. Not to mention these will save folks 50% or more of the cost of a finished kuksa!

If there is enough interest I will keep this thread updated when I have them available so we'll see how it goes.

You can also find a how to carve a kuksa tutorial that I'm working on here

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/kuksa-carving-tutorial-from-tree-to-finished-kuksa.196585/
    That will tell you all you need to know to finish carving your very own kuksa.

***As always, I stand behind everything I make! If you aren't completely satisfied or if you have any issues with it contact me to send it back for free repair, replacement or refund (at my discretion depending on the issue).***

Thanks,
    T

ETA: I highly recommend that when you finish your kuksa you do so with 100% Pure Tung Oil.
    There will be lots of information on finishes in the tutorial I posted above... as soon as I get a chance to finish it. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Bitterfists

Bitterfists Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in!

ArmyMacE and T. Pollock like this.
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This one has SOLD guys... more to come though so stay tuned. :dblthumb:

The first offering is a very nice birch kuksa. This one holds 9 1/2oz. to the rim. The inside has been sanded to 220 grit although adding the water to check capacity raises the grain (this is step that needs to be done anyway).

$50 - Includes free shipping in the states - PayPal Only Please.

First I'll take it posted here gets it pending funds.

IMG_5905.JPG IMG_5907.JPG IMG_5909.JPG IMG_5910.JPG IMG_5911.JPG IMG_5913.JPG IMG_5914.JPG IMG_5917.JPG

ETA: It's hard to predetermine the capacity of these but I can usually get in the ball park. If anyone has a capacity that you'd like to shoot for (within reason... no 40oz kuksas :dblthumb:) let me know and I'd be happy to do my best to accommodate.

4. Broke

Broke I found my hat! LB #1 of 42 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very cool idea Tim!

ArmyMacE, Bitterfists and T. Pollock like this.
  5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys!

Broke and Bitterfists like this.
  6. Bitterfists

Blog Posts:
    I guess I didn't put much thought into what 90% would look like... I may be more interested in a 65-75% for the same price of course. I like the idea of the inside being that close to finished though.

Kreger, ArmyMacE and T. Pollock like this.
  7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'd be more than happy to work with ya bud to get you what you'd like. The main reason I want to take them this far is because keeping the wall thickness consistent all the way around is crucial to preventing them from cracking when they dry.

8. Bitterfists

Blog Posts:
    That makes sense. Would I be able to carve an image or give it a rough hand carved texture on one like this without fear of cracking?

Kreger, ArmyMacE and T. Pollock like this.
  9. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to predetermine the capacity of these but I can usually get in the ball park. If anyone has a capacity that you'd like to shoot for (within reason... no 40oz kuksas :dblthumb:) let me know and I'd be happy to do my best to accommodate.

10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Oh yes sir, this one is meant to have a tooled finish on the outside. The wall thickness is still 5/16" so there's plenty of meat left to carve the outside. If someone wanted one smooth inside and out I would take it down thinner, but that would almost eliminate the carve your own idea and I don't think would be very fun for me or the customer. I'd love to see these once finished and I much prefer a tooled finish on the outside.

I'd be more than happy to do one for you and leave the wall thicker if you'd like though.

ETA: To a degree the thicker the wall is left the more likely it is too crack (and too thick makes one uncomfortable to drink from), of course by the same token if a person expects one not to leak you have to be careful about going too thin as well.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  11. Bitterfists

Blog Posts:
    I'll take this one.

OldSoul, Broke and T. Pollock like this.
  12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud! PM incoming. SOLD

If you aren't 100% satisfied with it or uncertain if it's thick enough to do what you'd like once you get it just send it back bud and I'll be happy to do ya another one.

13. wrath0r

wrath0r Guide

Blog Posts:
    What a cool idea!

14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud!

wrath0r likes this.
  15. Finner

Finner Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hey T. Curious what tools you are using to make these. Always interested how other guys work

16. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Chainsaw, band saw, lathe, mora 106 & 120. I'll go into detail in the tutorial as soon as I get a chance to work on it some more. May even do some videos.

Kreger, Bridgetdaddy, Hoof and 3 others like this.
  17. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I am interested in one!

18. OldSoul

OldSoul Scout

Blog Posts:
    Love what you're doing, Tim! Really outside the box, and I think most of us here like to customize and make things "our own". I'll definitely keep my eyes out for these as my finances allow.

You've mentioned a stabilizing set up as well...I'd imagine that would pay for itself before long considering you'd be able to use more of the resources you have on hand, and selling scales. As a dabbler with handling knives, my experience has been one of frustration finding a reliable source of good scales at reasonable prices that are done properly. Nothing like ordering stabilized scales only to find huge cracks and voids in them once you get to work. It's always been the rule of two it seems: 1)quality of stabilizing, 2) figuring of wood, and 3) reasonable cost....you get to pick 2.

I am by no means a volume user, but I'd certainly rather buy from you than elsewhere when I do need materials.

19. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Brother Tim now that's what you call SERVICE. ;)
    Regards
    David

20. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud!

Thanks bud! I'm enjoying being a vendor and want to offer as much help and service to all my friends here as I can. I still hope to get a stabilizing set up as I think it would be a great service, having to put brakes on my tractor has just put a speed bump in my plans. :dblthumb:

I aim to please brother! :dblthumb:

21. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner

Blog Posts:
    This is a great idea! I have made three wooden cups. All of them cracked! This is something that can detour or derail most people interested in learning to carve.

I never got them to dry evenly I guess...

This could be a great starter!

I would like to get one from you in the future.

OldSoul and T. Pollock like this.
  22. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud! Hopefully this will help a lot of folks to be able to have their own personally carved kuksa.

23. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Wood selection and keeping the wall thickness even are the biggest obstacles in getting a good kuksa that won't crack. With this option I eliminate those obstacles for folks so they can be successful in carving themselves one. With the 90% kuksa all the hard work is already done. :)

24. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    SOLD

New Carve-A-Kuksa available. This one has some very nice grain and holds 12+ oz.

Just like with the first one this one has been sanded to 220 grit on the inside and the wall has been left thick enough for you to be able to carve the outside leaving a classic & traditional tooled finish.

$55 - Includes free shipping in the states - PayPal Only Please.

IMG_4570.JPG IMG_4572.JPG IMG_4573.JPG IMG_4574.JPG

See OP for additional details & tips on how to finish carving these.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Paul Foreman, JeffG, Skruffy and 6 others like this.
  25. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Really cool idea Tim!

T. Pollock likes this.
  26. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother!

27. 1066vik

1066vik Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    these are sweet.
    I need to wire my shop space and dig out the lathe....

what size blank would you start with to make a 12-16oz cup?

lodge camper, Broke and T. Pollock like this.
  28. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud! Around 6Wx6Wx8L for a 16oz. It takes a good size tree to get a blank that large and be able to stay away from the pith, which is one of the factors in the price of these. Birch trees that large aren't easy to find, at least around here.

ETA:
    IIRC the blank this one came from was 5x5x7. I always leave extra on the length to a blank and stay away from the ends where it's been drying quickest.

1066vik and Broke like this.
  29. 1066vik

Blog Posts:
    nice - thanks!

T. Pollock likes this.
  30. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You're very welcome bud, always glad to help in any way I can.

Broke likes this.
  31. Muleman77

Muleman77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dont want to order one, but I do want to say you make some cool stuff. And I learn a little something almost every thread you start!

32. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother, I appreciate the kinds words! I enjoy sharing what little I know and I'm always thrilled if it helps someone.

Muleman77 likes this.
  33. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    If you are a veteran or if you're active duty I'll take 10% off this kuksa today as a thank you on this Memorial day to all who serve and to those who've made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.

34. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    This is an excellent idea, nice!

T. Pollock likes this.
  35. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud, I appreciate that!

36. houstondiscdog

houstondiscdog Carpe Canem Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey Tim, I didn't see any claims on this one, so if it's still available, I'll take it! And, really cool idea. I've done spoons, but have been quite intimidated by trying to knock out a kuksa from start to finish. I will definitely post some pictures (good, bad, and/or ugly) when done. PM coming.

T. Pollock likes this.
  37. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you sir! I would love to see the photos when you get it finished and if you have any questions or any problems whatsoever please let me know. The whole purpose for offering these is to make 100% certain the folks who buy them are successful at carving themselves a kuksa that will last a lifetime.

38. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    SOLD

New Cherry Carve-A-Kuksa available. This one has a super nice grain pattern! It was done in the opposite orientation from what I normally do and holds 10 oz to the rim. There's more photos of the making of this one here in my In The Shop At TCOG thread if anyone would like to see them.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/in-the-shop-at-tcog-wip-photos.197002/page-2#post-3406156

Just like with the first one this one has been sanded to 220 grit on the inside and the wall has been left thick enough for you to be able to carve the outside leaving a classic & traditional tooled finish.

$55 - Includes free shipping in the states - PayPal Only Please.

If this one doesn't sell I'll gladly keep it for me self. :dblthumb:

IMG_6179.JPG

In the following photos it has been wetted to make the grain pop (show up).
    IMG_6183.JPG IMG_6185.JPG IMG_6187.JPG IMG_6188.JPG IMG_6189.JPG IMG_6190.JPG

See OP for additional details & tips on how to finish carving these.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  39. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Damn it! The onetime my PayPal is completely empty! Who ever gets this will be one lucky duck!

T. Pollock likes this.
  40. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL It's a nice one for sure, thanks for the kind words bud!

seasonofthewoods likes this.
  41. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Pretty!

Hoof, seasonofthewoods and T. Pollock like this.
  42. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

Hoof and seasonofthewoods like this.
  43. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Nobody interested in carving a cherry Kuksa?
    I've got a couple more blanks cut out but if there's no interest I'll work on other things that are moving... for the time being at least. :dblthumb:

Hoof and Broke like this.
  44. Broke

Blog Posts:
    That is a great deal for an 80% lower, er, I mean 90% kuksa. Your buyer should be along shortly.

highlander, Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  45. 1066vik

Blog Posts:
    I'm actually surprised this is still available.

Hoof, T. Pollock and Broke like this.
  46. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother!

Me too! :3: I thought there was quite a bit of interest in these but hey... not the first time I've been wrong and I'm absolutely certain it won't be the last. :dblthumb:

No biggie for sure, it has beautiful grain and if no one is interested I'll happily finish it and use it. :)

ETA: Spoke too soon... SOLD

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Broke and Hoof like this.
  47. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm seriously tempted but first I need to get my bow fixed

Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  48. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @MommaJ ! This one just sold but I'm sure there will be more, good luck on your bow.

Hoof and MommaJ like this.
  49. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Told ya...

Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  50. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You were correct sir! :4:

Hoof and Broke like this.