WTS - Custom Turned Hobo Reels (Handline) - Updated 11-2-17

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 15, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Having to turn, cut, groove, drill and re-thread these fittings is a real PITA and takes lots of time. I've tried to think of a better solution but haven't been able to think of anything more suitable/easy to use. If anyone has any suggestions maybe there's something I haven't thought of and I'd be all ears if anyone can think of something better?

The pipe (tapered thread) fittings I use work great but they require a lot of work and modification to make them seal with the o-ring. A straight thread would be much easier if there is a similar product at a reasonable price with straight threads rather than tapered. IIRC the brass nipples I use cost me around $7 each and the female pvc around $1 each.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    blind & lost likes this.
  2. Wasp

Wasp Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you have to use an oring? Is it just to keep it tight or waterproof? If its just for waterproof I dont see the point.

T. Pollock likes this.
  3. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not really. I'll leave that up to you.

T. Pollock likes this.
  4. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I want to keep the o-rings. Both.

Wasp and blind & lost like this.
  5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Cool. :dblthumb:

blind & lost likes this.
  6. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I got 8 sets of male (brass) & female (PVC) fittings made today so I hope to have some reels made in another day or two for those who've been wanting one.
    The fittings take so much time to make that I normally do them in batches (saves a little time rather than doing them individually) and then make reels until I run out of fittings.

Hoof and blind & lost like this.
  7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I was speaking to @Wasp hashing out the threading/fittings issues and he hadn't seen these photos. For those of you who might not have seen these but would like to see a close up of the threads and of what I was referring to here's a couple of photos.

The male is brass, the female is pvc but they are both NPT threads.
    IMG_5783.JPG IMG_5784.JPG

The biggest issue is that these fittings are NPT pipe threads. That means they are tapered and get tighter the further you screw them together. In the case of the hobo reels these threads (each female fitting) have to be drilled out and custom threaded to just the right spot so that they will bottom out (but the threads still be nice and tight) when the cap is screwed in all the way, even though these threads weren't designed to do that. Hope that makes sense but I'm not very good with words. It is a real Pain In The A$$ to do and do correctly!!!

If you've ever worked with NPT pipe fittings I think you'll know what I mean though.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Paul Foreman and blind & lost like this.
  8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I got one made today from Honey Locust. I don't take orders for these but since @S.Decker had previously asked for one this one will go to him if he'd like it. It does have a light check (that's been filled with CA glue) but it's guaranteed just like anything else I make. This will be the last Hobo Reel at the current price of $50.

IMG_7549.JPG IMG_7550.JPG IMG_7551.JPG IMG_7552.JPG

Paul Foreman and blind & lost like this.
  9. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I always hate pricing my work and I especially hate having to increase a price. However these reels take so much work and time to make that it's gotten to the point that I dread making them knowing I make next to nothing for my time.

I have approx $12 material cost in these and I cover the shipping which is around $3 = $15 my cost................
    not counting shop overhead.
    It takes me approx 7 hrs to make one. (After as many as I've made I've discovered there's so many steps in making these there's just no way that time can be shortened)

$50 minus the $15 in cost = $35
    $35/7 hrs labor = $5 an hr. :eek:

I haven't decided yet what the new price for these will be but I know I (like anyone else in this day & time) can't work for $5 an hr. As bad as I hate to I have no choice but to increase the price or not make them. :(

Hope you guys understand,
    Tim

10. S.Decker

Blog Posts:
    I can appreciate where you're coming from. I have somewhat the same dilemma with my airgun repair service. I try to stay competitive, but the associated costs, time involved make it very hard to do, some days.
    By the way, I'll take the honey locust! Thanks for the opportunity!

TX-1948, T. Pollock and blind & lost like this.
  11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You're very welcome brother! I'll get it on the way tomorrow and send you a link to the tracking.

Thanks,
    Tim

blind & lost likes this.
  12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I've thought about making a video to show just how many steps go into making these but I seriously doubt anyone wants to watch a 7 hr video on hobo reels. :)

As an example though it takes 8 different drill bits (3 of them custom made) and a reamer just to do the drilling on these. :eek: :dblthumb:

Kona9, TX-1948 and blind & lost like this.
  13. S.Decker

Blog Posts:
    The hobo reel arrived in record time! I must say, the pictures didn't do it justice, even with the checking.
    Now, I just have to get some line on it, some tackle inside, and go fishin'.:dblthumb:

blind & lost and T. Pollock like this.
  14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud, I'm thrilled you like it! Be sure to take photos of all those massive whale size fish ya catch with it and share. :)

blind & lost likes this.
  15. S.Decker

Blog Posts:
    Captain Ahab I'm not. On the other hand, the perch and crappies are in for a schooling. :4::4: