x-country ski binding fits any shoe

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Mark Woolsey, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Mark Woolsey

Mark Woolsey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been making ski bindings since I was a kid (thanks, Dad, for the help). Pictured here is the model I've favored lately for my travels and for groups of H.S. students I lead on tours. Also, a shot of me seriously out of breath in Tibet (16,000 ft.) using this gear. The binding is fairly simple to make and works well on x-country touring skis or, as in these photos, on older (straighter) steel edged alpine skis, shorter the better. With the slightest encouragement, I'd post some more details on how these gadgets, made of recycled this and that, go together. DSCF1457.jpg 179koc22ahh1m.jpeg boys7utacolr.jpeg 1uwr76heqkkz6.jpeg

2. LazyPK

LazyPK Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really want to try cross country skiing out. I would be interested in seeing your process.

Haggis, Mark Woolsey and SSG Nasty like this.
  3. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Consider yourself encouraged!

Good season for it too!

4. Mark Woolsey

Mark Woolsey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for liking. I started skiing before x-country and alpine were separate ways of skiing. Those are the days I long to revisit. Back Country Touring Gear (medium width skis, steel edges, sturdy boots, free heel) make a pretty good outfit for all occasions. Or try my gadgets on a pair of short old downhill skis. I'll be posting more on this idea. MW

5. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    Encouragement sent! :dblthumb:

Gii shi kan dug likes this.
  6. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do it, do it, do it!
    Tripp and I'd love to see more!

alukban likes this.
  7. Mark Woolsey

Mark Woolsey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    unnamed.jpg Me again. I've made a drawing. Harder than making the bindings! I'm puzzling how to post so it shows up to any use. Size the issue. Suggestions? Meanwhile, here's me thinking things over at 16,000 ft. MW

Mukluk, Gii shi kan dug and alukban like this.
  8. Gerald_G

Gerald_G Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd be very interested in seeing more details as well. Please do post.

9. Kevpry

Kevpry Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Please do post.

10. KenM

KenM Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Please consider yourself encouraged; and thank you.

11. Mukluk

Mukluk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very interested, maybe if you took a picture of the drawing and blow it up? Thanks for posting and looking forward to hearing more from you.

12. Mark Woolsey

Mark Woolsey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    TEXT TO GO WITH BINDING DRAWINGS:
    1-Strap to tie (or buckle) over toe. 3/4" polypropylene web, 30" long, to be trimmed if required.
    2-Toe plate- 24 gauge galv sht stl folded double to engage hinge loop.
    3-Chaffe pad over toe strap- leather, plastic,.......
    4-Hinge loop- 3/16" galv mild steel rod.
    5-Hinged under-sole- 24 ga galv sht stl, folded to engage hinge loop- 2 layers extend full length of under sole.
    6-Retaining flap for heel yoke- 24 ga galv sht stl.
    7-Hinged heel yoke- 1/16" galv mild stl rod. Can be bent to suit heel width. R & L heel yoke ea offset 3/16" to outside.
    8-Rubber heel strap- 1 1/4" bike inner tube, 12"long, to be trimmed if required.
    9-Hook to engage toe strap- coat hanger wire.
    10-Heel plate- 1/4" thick plastic or rubber, fastened wi hex hd screws. Shd be full width of ski, shaped to shed packed snow & ice.
    11-Heel yoke/inner tube link- a)thread, solder or pin nut to both ends of yoke b)wrap ends wi hockey tape c) insert yoke ends 1 1/2" into tube d)bind tightly wi tape e)coat tape binding with glue (Seal-All, Liquid Elect Tape,....)

Fasteners- Screws- #8X 5l8" rd hd (can be replaced with #10 later in life if needed).
    Hex head screws #8 X 3/4" (hds protrude to grip heel)
    Pop rivets SS 1/8"D Short, factory hds point down, except for 2 at middle of under-sole- these are Mediums so placed and shaped as to fit easily along ea sd of ski when sole is down (optional feature)

These bindings will work well with a wide range of shoe sizes and styles. Optimum proportions to aim for will allow heel yoke to nicely engage both sides of the shoe's heel. The bindings are suitable for touring width X-county skis. My favorite application is to old style steel-edged alpine skis (fairly straight, no longer than my height). Bindings for children's skis can be of similar build but using flexible material such as mud guards instead of hinges. (Such material may not last long in "serious" adult service). Enough said! Thanks for the attention to my
    pet project of many years. MW

Mukluk likes this.
  13. Mukluk

Mukluk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks again, looking forward to the drawings.
    Would you be able to post a couple pics of one if you get a chance? I have a vintage set of skis, (wood with the steel edge), and have the steel hardware on them, but need to come up with the boot bindings. Your post couldn't have come at a better time.

14. southron

southron Scout

Blog Posts:
    I still remember taking a round file to grove the heel of boots to get telemarking bindings to fit what I had.

Jim

15. Mark Woolsey

Mark Woolsey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like the good old "bear trap" cable bindings with adjustable toe irons. They depended on the solid old boot soles to work. They were a good rig for all purpose skiing until people started hitching the cable down to keep their heels from lifting. That gave them better control going downhill, but made forward falls much more dangerous. The next step was safety release bindings which made downhill-only skiing separate from x-country travel. "Free the Heels Now!" is my favorite protest slogan. MW

16. Mark Woolsey

Mark Woolsey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fiery_Color_003.jpg Fiery_Color_003_2.jpg I see that I'posted the drawings on the Self Made Gear Forum, and the text on this thread. S heres the pics to go with the text above. MW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Mukluk likes this.
  17. Mukluk

Mukluk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Mark, I'm printing off a copy now. Between this design and the steel cable ankle biters I have now I expect to come up with a nice adjustable and comfortable set.
    Now all I need is snow.

18. Max Capacity

Max Capacity Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Could you post a few larger close up photos of the bindings? The ones above are pretty small when they open, can't really see the detail on the bindings.

19. Mark Woolsey

Mark Woolsey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good luck! I too need snow; a x-country class to teach come Sunday and grass showing everywhere. MW

Mukluk likes this.
  20. Mark Woolsey

Mark Woolsey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A confession: The photo is of a lighter, simpler version of the binding, that I used on my skis for HS students. The hinge, the under-sole and the heel yoke are all formed from one piece of 3/16"galv spring steel wire. This material is not easy to find and it takes some practice to shape it precisely w/o weakening it. I don't know why the photo won't come up larger like the others. I'll try to re-format it so it will. MW