YIPEEE......I'm in the club, Got a Canoe.

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by Not Sure, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday I picked up a solo Wenonah Encounter 17' used ,class of 1995.
    My first time ever in a Canoe, really like it. 8 Hour round trip to pick it up
    but it was the Canoe I was looking for.
    When researching Canoes someone on a Canoe forum called it a "2 Moose Canoe" due to
    it's load capacity.
    That was enough for me, I only want to take Big Lake and Big River trips.
    I won't be doing any Portages with it so................Load, Launch, Land and repeat.
    Much to learn...........
    IMG_4760.JPG

cek, Bobsdock, RiotYakFishin and 35 others like this.
  2. Luchtaine

Luchtaine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don’t know how that canoe paddles comparatively but canoes designed to haul loads generally require loads. You may find it paddles better when you have it loaded heavy.

3. Not Sure

Blog Posts:

Agreed.........You are spot on,I read this many times about the Encounter. I am "Slowly working up to it.
    Yesterdays test drive was only for about 20 mins. The Canoe was naked except for my Svelt 230 pounds.
    Today I had it out with 20 lbs behind the seat.
    I am new at this so my plan is short sessions to work on paddling strokes and weight to trim it out.
    I am like the Lion on the Wizard of Oz........."If I only had some Courage"!
    I can say this...................This is going to be fun!

4. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest that you run the tie down straps over the boat at the rear rack and the cab, instead of the location in the photo where the hull is unsupported. Nice boat!

5. Not Sure

Blog Posts:

Good advice, It was just to get it home.
    Also, hard to see but it has straps in the back going to Bumper. If you look you can see a bit of red peeking out.
    But yes I need to revamp my tie down system.
    I was "Not Sure" I was even going to come home with it when I left, having never been in a canoe.
    As soon as I paddled a bit I was hooked............
    Seller thru in a Sawyer 60 in Beaver-tail and a 52 in Bending Branches BB Special, Type 111 Vest and a Canoe cart.
    I can see a 57-58 in paddle in my future.
    All I needed to get on the Water.

6. kronin323

kronin323 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic - you drove 8 hours to invest in a quality canoe like Wenonah and have never even been in a canoe before? If serious, wow.

Here's a link to the Wenonah owner's manual:

https://www.wenonah.com/PDF/WC_owners_manual.pdf

It's fairly model-agnostic and covers a whole lot of information. Really it's written for an audience of complete novices, covering all the basics of safety, usage, transportation, repairs, and maintenance. I mean, it even talks about how to get in and out of a canoe, covers the basic strokes, working in tandem, and trimming. There's plenty of resources out there but for a mere owner's manual the amount of topics it covers is impressive IMHO.

Oh, and, congrats on the pickup...

7. Not Sure

Blog Posts:

Thanks for the Link.

Yeppers........4 hours each way, my first time in a canoe. I was pretty confident in my desire just Not Sure this Canoe was "The One"
    I have wanted a Canoe for many years, and I really did massive research as to what I wanted,
    Unfortunately here in the PNW and specifically where I live,Finding a Wenonah of any kind to test was out of the question.
    This Canoe was recommend as a Big Guy Canoe that wants to haul a weeks, make that three weeks of gear and go heavy.
    I will will learn with this one and if it doesn't work out I will sell it and move on.
    But I don't see this happening as very few Canoes of any brand meet my needs.
    I am just happy that I found this one and made a new friend {The Seller} and we will be doing a trip next summer.
    The seller has about 30yrs paddling experience and has owned some fine Canoes over the years.
    He had a Hand Built Cedar Strip Canoe that was made by Mr. Gene Jensen. I have made lunches that weighed more than it did...........
    Amazing Canoe!

8. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    PNW? Where abouts? I'm always up for meeting another canoe camper. I'm in Everett. I've always said that most folks around here don't even know what canoe is.

Great boat there. I used to have the old style Wenonah Spirit, and way back, a Jensen Clipper. Both were excellent boats. Boy do I have an experience to tell you about that Clipper.
    Think: Youth +Darwin. Maybe someday...

9. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the canoe family.

10. Not Sure

Blog Posts:
    Love to hear that story.....
    I am in Yakima so my goals next summer will include, North Lake Chelan , Banks Lake, Upper Columbia and maybe Ross Lake.
    I have several months to prep and being retired I have lots of time.
    The good news for me is I need very little in the way of camping gear.
    It should be a great Year...........

11. Skruffy

Skruffy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on the new canoe and the start of a many new great adventures! :)

12. Not Sure

Blog Posts:
    This Sticker cracks me up...........

download.png

13. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ross is on my Must Do list. A few years ago I clamped my row kit to an Old Town Tripper I had and me and a bud launched at the Hiway and rowed the 5 miles to the bottom of the dam to check out the portage dock. Fantastic trip up the fjord. Super windy and rough coming back as the noon winds kicked up Diablo. Supposedly, it happens every day in the summer. Glad we were in a Tripper. We came across a newb in a 20ft Sawyer that was about to founder against the rock cliffs at the opening to the fjord. He was the only other boat on the lake and was definitely going to die there, so we pulled him out with a line and rowed out til we could just hull/sail all the way back to Colonial Creek. The Tripper handled it like a battleship. So did the sawyer, but not with just one paddler. To this day, I believe it was Providence we appeared as he was within 30ft of being ground to bits against that face in 120ft of straight-down. It was like a washing machine. Everything up and down and breaking white.

If you decide to go to Ross, and you want to sail in company, let me know. Chelan sounds great, too, but boy-oh-boy, does it get rough with afternoon howlers off the mountains. Fjords are like that. You'll need a motor, and one that's reliable, or you ain't goin' uplake if those winds come down the hill. Best to start out real early at Twenty-Five Mile, while it's calm.

Once you get some time-on-water, you might consider something like this. It'll really widen the horizon as to what the rig can get through. A single outrigger can still be paddled, or a motor can be mounted in case of wind. That is a Grumman 15. The second pic shows the row kit that pulled that guy away from the cliff in the third pic, taken early in the day with no wind yet. We were just rounding the point and since I was rowing facing backwards I got this peaceful view as we entered the fjord. Jeff, The Blind Guide of Lake Diablo was in the stern. The last pic shows the take out at the bottom of the dam. There is a phone that connects to the resort above. They'll come down and pick up any hand carry boat(s) for a fee and take you the 800ft up to Ross lake
    IMG_0638.JPG IMG_1914.JPG Diablo11.JPG The Phantom Blind Guide of Diablo Lake.JPG Diablo17.JPG

14. Not Sure

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @OutnBacker , I have much to learn and now most of my planned trips are just in the works.
    Your tips are very helpful.
    Great Story............
    Nice Boat.

15. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    congrats, I hope you have many joyous paddles ahead of you.

16. riverrunner

riverrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice boat! Make sure to get a life jacket to go with it

17. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cool! I have a lake right behind my house, but I don't feel safe paddling around in anything smaller than a paddleboat... There are several sheds/roofs/etc. that have blown in there in storms over the years, and I don't want to get my foot hung in anything if I fall out :eek:

18. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 to that! I've never paddled on Chelan, but it has been bad enough out there that I've been really scared in a powerboat. It is hard to imagine breaking waves on that lake when its is calm, but it really gets nasty sometimes, even in the summer.

Congrats on the awesome new toy @Not Sure ! I think you just opened up a whole new world of adventure.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    CivilizationDropout and Not Sure like this.
  19. Not Sure

Blog Posts:
    Here is a couple of pics the seller sent me, my first paddle....hows the trim look?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Not Sure

Blog Posts:
    Wow may have to rethink this one.
    I do as much research as I can before setting off but first hand accounts are so valuable.
    Thanks @NWPrimate and @OutnBacker for some great info...........

21. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Think of Chelan as a great big wind tunnel. I have seen waves at least 4ft high and steep as can be on that water. Wind streamers running g for a quarter mile. We were in a 22ft Chrysler sailboat with full storm rig. There were NO other boats out except for a few hardy sailboarders. It was late July...

The thing is, weather can be predicted fairly accurately over there - in the summer it's hot, period. However, thermals need to be researched and they don't talk about that on the weather forecast. Chelan is a desert lake that is so long that it's upper half lies in the mountains, from where the winds come. It is a unique body of water in that it behaves like a true fjord, but is 250 miles from any ocean.

Lake Ross can get cheeky as well, being as long as it is (25 miles). Again, it's an afternoon phenom. Not like Chelan, though. Chelan is over 50 miles of long open fetch.

You can do a lot to get ready from Yakima. There is the river, as long as you know what stretches to take because the Yakima below the diversion dam is un-tamed. Potholes is a good place to practice your boatmanship and not too far. Lake Kachess is stunningly beautiful and a great place to primitive camp or use a site.

22. glen1100

glen1100 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congrats !!! Nice boat, give it a good cleaning and a coat of wax
    And happy paddling DSCF2788.JPG

23. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great job, way to commit!!

Not Sure likes this.
  24. Not Sure

Blog Posts:
    I like your Canoe, what is it?

25. glen1100

glen1100 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's an older Oneida 16 foot

Not Sure likes this.
  26. popedandy

popedandy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on getting a fine boat. The Encounter paddles well both empty and loaded and is a pretty good bad weather boat. It will indeed handle a good load and will cover a lot of distance if your skills are up to snuff.

OutnBacker and Not Sure like this.