You all at the point to think about retirement?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by boomchakabowwow, Apr 20, 2017.

1. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm 50.

Work is great and is a daily challenge. I'm trying for a promotion and that's it. I want to retire somewhere near my 60th birthday. I think I can stay busy and healthy easy. I'll Sell my CA home and move where it is cheaper to buy one outright.

Sucks when I'm 60, hunting and fishing will probably be way less rustic.

It's the first time period of my life I'm thinking of my exit strategy. My career end game.
    I certainly married the right girl. When I got married, I was damn near broke. Living large tho. :). Now I think we are going to be comfy old people.

I've quit spending on gear for the most part. M,y bushcraft obsession is gone for now. It's just a regular fun hobby- the great outdoors.

Lichen, gila_dog, perrymk and 14 others like this.
  2. Sefton

Sefton Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm 59 , with over 36 years at the same employer. I was eligible when I turned 55.

I actually love my job. I'm lucky to work with a small group of great people.

Going to stay for 2 more years and watch our new Water Filtration plant being built.

Then I'll retire. :)

3. Gramp Camp

Gramp Camp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I will be 63 in July and love my job. Have been with my company 39 years. Plan to do one more and retire when I am 64, God willing. I have kept in pretty good shape and do more rustic camping now than I ever had before. I guess I have more time now. I plan to continue doing a lot more of it until the bones say to slow down. Even then I will spend time outside I might just have to drive in somewhere. :)

4. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think about retirement any time I feel like having a panic attack.

Lichen, HP500, Brew-Jitsu and 3 others like this.
  5. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I am 62 and have a plan to work till 65. These days it's important to have a plan. Especially after 50.

6. captbrian

captbrian Bush League Urbanite

Blog Posts:
    Man, you 3 are lucky to all like your jobs. I loathe my job, my company, what we do, and the people here, viscerally. I almost can't imagine what it would be like, to like a job.

I'm planning a very early semi-retirement, in 2-3 years. I also live in a high-pay, high-rent city... I will also be taking the profits from the sale of my home and relocate to a far-away, significantly cheaper locale and start over in perhaps a part-time job doing something that I at least respect, maybe even 'like'. Good luck to all of you... save them pennies!

gila_dog, HP500, gohammergo and 7 others like this.
  7. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Retirement?

What's that?

8. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    retired at 60, over 10 years ago. Never looked back. :)

hunter63, Lichen, gohammergo and 4 others like this.
  9. Ascham

Ascham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I will be 62 in July and looking forward to it. Work is good but I am looking forward to my wife and I just kicking back.

10. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think about retirement every day... usually on my way to work. I don't hate my job most days but I sure as hell don't love it. Sadly I'm 19 years away from it. Plan is to put in for retirement the day I turn 55, the earliest I can without taking a hit to my pension. Something will have to change in a drastic way to cause me to stay any longer.

I see too many good people work for way too long and retire just in time to die. I absolutely refuse to let that happen to me.

11. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wish..
    At 43 almost 44(!) I've got a long time to "pay my dues" yet! Though not the most stimulating, my job has it's moments, and I like the people I work with and the benefits so I have no complaints. I've had the same really good boss for 16 years now, and together we've weathered many changes in our company. I'd much rather have the financial means to volunteer at a variety of organizations, not to mention do a lot more outdoor stuff, but I am trying to make the most of the time I do have!

12. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will probably work until I'm 65. Two more years to go. I am really looking forward to it, but not looking forward to it at the same time. Growing up in a small mountain top community in southern Tennessee, everyone had to work. I've had a job since the age of twelve, so having a job to go to is deeply ingrained.

13. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1,340 days, 19 hours and change.

Lichen, perrymk, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  14. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm almost 64 and retired at 60. I loved my job and was good at it. I worked for a good company, had good people all around me, and the pay was more than I would have paid myself. I had no complaints, but I wouldn't go back for anything. I now have a little house on a few very wooded acres and go for a walk in the woods almost everyday. My soul has never been at peace more than it is right now. I'm very thankful I was able to retire as early as I did. The bad part is I feel my body slowing down.

JohnP

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    JeffK, Bannertail, gohammergo and 7 others like this.
  15. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I retired with 25 years (age 55) as a game warden; currently working another law enforcement job w/ a federal agency (last four years). My plan is to retire on the day I turn 62 (earliest I can collect SS), with my pensions, SS and 457k's, we should be in pretty good shape financially. I stay very active (see my signature :)) and plan to stay that way (God willing). I've got a long bucket list of adventures that I plan on crossing out as many as I can.

I hear guys talk saying they wouldn't know what to do if they retired, I nod my head, but am thinking WTF? :4: Bring it on baby.

Lichen, captbrian, gohammergo and 5 others like this.
  16. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty much exactly where your at ,except I'm 54. I'm cashing it in at 60 , even though I'll get a smaller pension. House will be paid , got some cash stashed , and have enough gear for 10 lifetimes already. I want some freedom time before I push up daisies.
    Never had a lot of money my whole life anyhow, but I worked all of it and am still working hard , wifes' got a good job ,we're raising a good son , only a little debt left on the house.

I knew a lot of guys that died with padded bank accounts that never got out and enjoyed life. I want to have some fun before I can't do it anymore.

17. mbiraman

mbiraman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Retired a couple of years ago. Was very clear to me that i was done working for a living, now i work for fun, when i feel like it. I've got a pension and some $$, a home i built so no mortgage . I actually tried to live a full life as i went along and tried not to get too deep into the rat race. I'm not money rich but life rich. At 65 i notice that the body is slowing down, so don't wait too long to have your fun.

Lichen, Bannertail, Hiwa and 3 others like this.
  18. Tatonka

Tatonka Young Brave Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hello. My name is Tatonka, I have a wife and two daughters, and I will work until the day I die, you lucky SOBs

tabasco_joe, Hiwa, gohammergo and 2 others like this.
  19. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout Jack of all trades, Mastering some. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    As a 30 something, I've held 14 different professions, never mind jobs. I wish I had picked one and stuck. As it is I'm contemplating another change. Work is really dragging me under rushing water right now, typical occurrences are making me physically shake with rage every other day at least. I've mellowed since I was a kid but that monster is still gnawing at me. Someday I'll settle, hopefully my wife can hang in at her profession.

Good on all of you to tough it out, even with something you enjoy. ;)

20. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just turned 59. We live in an expensive cost of living area in Western Washington so we purchased 5 acres in N. Idaho last year with an eye toward retirement. I am using a little stock that was given by my company to get the place ready for a house and then we will sell this one. The equity should allow us to build our retirement home leaving no mortgage. I can work for my current company there for a couple of years to ensure we are settled and the bills are gone and then around 64-64 find a nice part time gig for a little extra play money-God willing and the river don't rise;)

21. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am 51 and "semi-retired" at this time.

I was an Over The Road trucker for many years and many companies.
    Not much "vestment" in that line of work.
    I do have a meager PERS account for later on from when I was in law enforcement.

My advice to ALL younger people is to avoid being "trendy" and invest your money in paying off your home and land.
    Your paid off mortgage is worth fifty times as much as the "feel" of a brand new car every two years.
    We can live on my part-time income as a Security Officer, and my wife's part-time receptionist income, due to our being debt free.

Barring a lottery win, I am destined to work til about 3 days after my death in order to eat regularly.

22. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I retired at 45 after 20 years as a LEO, then did odd jobs for several years then went back into Law enforcement as Chief of Police for a military Institute then decided there had to be life after law enforcement. Since that time I have ran a picture framing shop,worked in the movie industry as a prop maker, set builder, production designer, and for the last 5 years I have worked for one of the oldest law firms in NM doing just about anything they need done. As long as they keep inviting me back every week to play I guess I will probably be there till I turn 65 at the least. I turn 60 this summer.

23. Sc0ut

Sc0ut Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i'll be 57 this year and will retire (or quit my fulltime job) at 59. My wife will retire at the end of May this year. Our mortgage will be paid for at the end of this year. We also have enough in our 401k to start drawing at 59 1/2. We will probably move to Tucson to take advantage of lower cost of living. We are done with snow, cold winter, and hot/humid/muggy summers. Looking forward to it :)

24. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Tracker

Blog Posts:
    retired at about 3 years ago at 57. now it's like 6 Saturdays and a Sunday! Not having a mortgage anymore sure made it easier to do. Now I have time to play, do mission work in Mexico (going 5th time in July), as well as volunteering at the local homeless shelter during the winter months. Once in a while I do put the nail bags on and help a buddy in concrete construction, but I like the fact I don't have to do that daily, anymore!
    My advice: Do it, if you can!

25. longhunter

longhunter Northman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I retired from the US Army in 1986, and retired from civil service in 2013 at 70 years old. I figured that was enough and have never looked back.
    I enjoyed my time working but, enough was enough.

CivilizationDropout and MrFixIt like this.
  26. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sure, of course I'm thinking about retiring.

But I was divorced once, so I can just get that whole silly notion outta my head for a while. Those funds had prior obligations, apparently....

27. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I do think about it and have a financial plan in place.
    I'm 52 so I will have to work another 13 years unless I hit the lottery.

28. Chris keating

Chris keating Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm. Glad I'm not the old guy on this forum, I love the outdoors and I may "retire" at any time @CivilizationDropout I hear ya bud, I'm ready to punch some employers in the face. Restaurant business never has decent benefits, I've always felt like a nomad. However my son needs to be taken care of his smart ass needs college paid for. I'll keep working until then and after that its, via con dios....

29. Danno

Danno Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Same as many here. 56 and looking to bail out at 60. Mortgage paid several years ago, will sell this house and move away from city(Thank God!). Plan on working part time 'til 65 or so.
    Strange too how I never really thought about this until I hit 50. That's when I started realizing the light at the end of the tunnel was getting much closer!

Hiwa and CivilizationDropout like this.
  30. snapper

snapper Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm 64 as of two weeks ago and looking to retire next year after graduation; I work at a college. By then I will have put in 38 years at this college and 42 total in the system. I figure by then it's time for me to enjoy myself on my schedule. I truly enjoy my work, college students keep you young, but we now have 4 grandsons and I've been working nights & weekends since I was 16. I'd like my schedule to be dictated by what I want to do and not what the program needs. If that makes me selfish then so be it.

As for future "jobs," I'm sure there will be a few but they'll be picked with care. If there are nights/weekend requirements, I won't be there. Nothing against any particular company but that's what I'm trying to get away from. Having Mondays off really sucks! I'd like some time when everyone else is off so I can actually do a trip with other people :dblthumb:

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

31. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would encourage anyone looking into the future of retirement to take advantage of the many free retirement planning tools out there. It should give you a pretty good peek at how things add up financially. One cautionary word when using these various calculators- their default interest rates on investments are usually on the optimistic side. I will lower them significantly (around 3-ish percent), I don't want too rose colored glasses when it comes to my future :4:

I will add that one of the biggest perks of my warden pension is what they call GABA- guaranteed annual benefit adjustment- it's 3% each and every year. I know many pensions don't have this and count my blessings we do.

32. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i am mostly retired (teaching part-time under contract) and blessed to be covered under my bride's health insurance - which will continue after she retires in eight years. educators don't get paid the best in alabama, but benefits are excellent. i have a smallish pension, and social security, plus my contract teacher pay. she has her pay, and will have a good pension. i think we will be fine, with a little travel money ...

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  33. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like my job. I did the math for retirement, the day I turn 187 years old, I can retire :D

34. bartman

bartman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    DixiePreparedness said:
    My advice to ALL younger people is to avoid being "trendy" and invest your money in paying off your home and land.
    Your paid off mortgage is worth fifty times as much as the "feel" of a brand new car every two years.

I cannot agree with this more. I'm 46 presently. My wife and I have a plan, whereby, our home will be paid for by June 2018. All other debts are paid off, and no credit cards. My line of work (professional mariner) sees it fair share of unexpected health issues. All it will take is a diabetic emergency, or an MI, and I could be sidelined permanently. God forbid, but I don't want my wife using her disability, paying off a house. I really wish I could've spoken to myself, say 20 years ago,
    and made that knucklehead listen to reason. Ymmv.

Standing by,
    Bart

35. Early Man

Early Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    65 and retired at 63. Stay fit, no one invented a pill to get you back to 33 yet. When you retire have things to do. I am working on a forge, I have tons of yard chores, and that's with out the garden patch at 60 feet by 90. The White Mts NH USA are on my door step.

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT micro manage your wife who has been doing what she has been doing with NO Help from you, and now you have time you think you can somehow do it better. Instead of micro managing go fishing, drink 2 beers a day, dream.

I still work part time with a workaholic 72 years old for play money.

The First People's had it right. The women did all the work while the men went hunting and fishing. Only a white man would think he could improve that :)

Lichen, captbrian, rsnurkle and 3 others like this.
  36. perrymk

perrymk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can't think of any other job I would have wanted and I can't say I hate my job but it is wearing on me.

I plan on retiring on my 55th birthday, 3 years 3 months and 6 days from now. I'll have a modest pension, a little set aside in a 457b, a little in a savings account. No debt, car and house both paid for years ago, no family (except taking care of my mom but already have the finances lined up for her) so its just me.

Yay!

37. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Just made 56, Wife has been planning my retirement for a few years now. looking at maybe 59.5 leaving job behind?

38. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I loved my job (electrical engineer) until the company got taken over by a big outfit that turned the place into hell. The Dilbert cartoons are a mild version of what they did. Pissed off all the good people, so they left. Pissed off the customers so they left. So I bailed out at 56 and took my meager pension and moved to the wild country. I'm 67 now and look back on my years of early retirement as one of the best things I ever did in my life. I had some friends and family who dropped dead before they could retire, what a waste. My wife and I live comfortably, stay active, and have a good life. I look at some of my old work associates who are still hanging in there and they've aged and deteriorated so badly compared to us.

Hiwa, Lichen, Bannertail and 2 others like this.
  39. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am 50 and really would love to retire in 10 years but it aint happening. I got one kid about to go to college and another one in 8 years. After that, maybe but not likely. I dont hate my job at all but if I won the lotto I would leave ASAP. I dont like living in the shadow of Minneapolis and having to work downtown is not fun. I wouldnt mind doing what I am doing if I could work 100% remote. I work for a very large employer so although my team is extremely stable the leadership above me changes constantly. One bad change and I could be looking for something new but so far that hasnt been the case so still riding it out. Financially I cant retire and will likely work until I die. That time period in my life when the Twin Towers fell and being let go at the same time with no jobs to be had did its toll on me and my retirement income. I still have not recovered from the financial loss from those years and not sure I ever will. I was able to keep the house but added on a 2nd mortgage and that is whats killing me today. Retirement....it sounds so good though.

40. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I spend $1 a week on lottery tickets.

hunter63 and HeadyBrew like this.
  41. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've attended several retirement seminars and ran several in depth retirement calculators. I will be eligible in less than 3 years. However, eligible isn't the same as "able". I'm looking to work until I'm 62. Got a little over 8 years to go. My motto is, "I don't want to just survive in retirement, I want to THRIVE!"

42. Chris keating

Chris keating Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @bartman dont think catastrophic at your age, just stay healthy. I had to learn to,stop living like a rockstar. I watch my parents who are very well educated and work like dogs albeit with the best of intentions. Do they enjoy life? Not sure.., I have attempted to find a balance. I will make sure my son is taken care of beyond that I like to "live" after all it's a fleeting existence in this cosmos...

43. bartman

bartman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Chris for the kind words. For some background, my family, on both sides have extensive diabetic and cardiovascular disease issues. Not being fatalistic at all, however, I have seen many men in my line of work, experience a sudden, catastrophic medical situation that ended their maritime career.
    All of this said, I have taken steps to lessen my risk factors toward those ends. I also agree with others that have mentioned living below one's means. All of these things, I hope will allow me to enjoy my later years, relatively comfortably. Thanks much.

Bart

Chris keating likes this.
  44. boisdarc

boisdarc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm 44 and can retire in about 7 1/2 years, but may do 10 depending on state of things.

45. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's it?!

Me and a coworker throw a couple of bucks twice a week on the powerball. Yes, I'm well aware of what that adds up to over a year but there's something strangely enjoyable about imagining the "what if" each week even though we're realistic in our chances.

When people ask what we're doing we just say "contributing to our retirement fund".

46. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm 66 now. I got laid off at 62 and took early SS. That wasn't enough, so I did a reverse mortgage. It's not for everyone, but it worked out great for me. At 65, I started getting a monthly check from money I had put into a 401K. I won't be buying anymore Turley knives, but I get by comfortably. Put ALL of the money you can afford into you 401K! Even if I do nothing all day, it sure beats sitting in a cubicle every day.

hunter63 likes this.
  47. winter1857

winter1857 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I usually start thinking about retirement about 9:15 or 9:30 every weekday. But you may have meant something else!

Lichen likes this.
  48. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    The day I turned 50, I upped my 401k to that "catch up" amount. My check took a hit!! But whatever. I'll pay myself first. It will save me some taxes for now.

It saddens me to see folks sell a knife because "life happens". There are some true inspirational folks on this forum. I want to learn financial skills as well as any bushcraft tricks for the duration.

Lichen, mtwarden and captbrian like this.
  49. TJC44

TJC44 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I will be 54 this year. This is the first year I've thought about retirement. My second turns 18 this year, so the child support payments will end. I have a little set aside for retirement, and continue to contribute. I have a good job, but I find I'm not as committed to it as I used to be. I will probably be working until 63 or 65 (god willing). I want to buy some property soon, so it can be paid off when I retire, and can just dump this house on the market and move there. Not sure where yet. Things are still as clear as mud. Time to mix some concrete.
    TJC

50. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As per the title, I am near that point, but I try not to think about it.

Misspent youth, several poor choices. Now I only make stellar, perfect decisions (joking). Hindsight is 20/20. The most important thing? I am happy! Nothing else really matters.

Scotchmon likes this.