Your definition of a kit gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by plumberoy, Apr 27, 2018.

1. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Definitely not in the class of those guns of Mackay's, but I really like my 5" 94 also. The Taurus 94 gets a lot of trash talk (maybe sometimes deserved), but mine has always been extremely accurate. DA is a little heavy, but shooting SA, the trigger is every bit as fine as my VQ equipped MKIII Hunter.

edit: Found an old photo with the T 94 (top). The other two (Buckmark Challenge and Beretta 21) have served on the trail as well.

.22 handguns.jpg

Not a very good photo of the 94. What isn't obvious is that this particular example has one of the better blued finishes I've seen. No idea if this is normal for Taurus these days.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    Denman, Pilot, slysir and 1 other person like this.
  2. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    ruger single six and marlin xt......both in 22 mag you could keep you and your family fed for the rest of your life if you had too........you can carry a lot of 22 mag ammo easy enough...

3. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Like others have said, I think a kit gun is part of a kit. For fishing in Ohio, a small .22 might be fine. Fishing in Alaska, I'd want a .454 Casull. Or better yet, a big guy with a rifle keeping watch!
    I'm currently lusting after a kit gun from a trapper / woods loafer from the 1930s or 40s, maybe a top break .32 type gun. Not something to shoot often but just to have around camp.

4. Doomsword

Doomsword Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Bearcat with 3.5” barrel. It is blued steel. It is what I use as my definition of a kit gun so I carry it while out walking or jogging or wandering. If hunting, I might tote it along but more likely would take the Single Six airweight. If hunting larger game, the kit gun would be the j frame Smith in .38 spl. With the 3 “ lug barrel and target everything.

Which is the only issue with the Bearcat as a woodsloafing kit gun, mine does not have target sights. It shoots fine but the half moon front blade and the hog trough rear does leave a little to be desired whilst sniping a squirrel or rabbit. Still for my intended use, it is a good little companion in the woods. I do not think you would be disappointed.

John

branchwater and 08H3 like this.
  5. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My lil custom single six is the stuff of dreams...

20190414_111507.jpg

branchwater, slysir, Pilot and 3 others like this.
  6. Doomsword

Doomsword Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pretty sweet. I had considered that with the Single-Six air weight but beings it was a gift from my father in law and they only made them like in 56 and 57, I figured I should leave it alone. Course it does not have truly adjustable sights but they are better than the groove. Who makes the grips?

John

08H3 likes this.
  7. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    My grandfather kept a 22/32 kit gun in his metal Heddon tacklebox. Ostensibly, it was for subduing giant musky that could raise"holy hell" once brought into the boat. I think it might have been in case we saw a ruffed grouse on the shoulder of the road on the way home. :rolleyes: He had a bad habit of changing lures over the box, which dripped water into it. The gun was always rusty, rolling around in a slurry of rusty water. I offered more than once to clean it, but he was firm, pistols weren't for kids.

During one soujourn out on Wheeler Lake; my job was to row, motor trolling was not allowed. During one hefty cast, he snagged the edge of the tackle box with his lure, flinging the whole works, all the tackle and the gun into the lake. As we watched it and all the contents sink into 40 feet of crystal clear water he turned to me and bellowed at the top of his lungs, "Dammit all, that's why you always keep a pistol in a holster!!" I thought I was gonna catch he** for some (unknown) transgression. Then he burst into laughter, and grinned and said, "C'mon kid, let's go get some lunch. " I rowed us to shore in record time. I remember a feast; a cheeseburger, a bottle or two of Orange Crush, and a half dozen Maple Bun Bars for snacks, at a local tavern. :dblthumb:

But it stayed with me. Handguns get carried in holsters.

8. Doomsword

Doomsword Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Is this the one that had an accidental brush with some form of saw?

08H3 likes this.
  9. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not sure...he was more of the practical joker.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:36 AM
    08H3 likes this.
  10. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Altamont made the grips to order, they are nice....

And yeah it met a saw...

20190317_192703.jpg

branchwater likes this.