Your favorite piece of bushcraft gear

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by BushcrafterAU, Oct 11, 2018.

1. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What is it?

For me, it’d be either my Mora or my Mess kit.

2. HunterX9

HunterX9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mora Kansbol or my Condor Lochnessmuk.

816266BD-F3AE-4799-9E64-041BED80DE17.jpeg

3. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hard to say, probably one of my knives. But I like to cook and eat so maybe my cook set. I like my knife enough to get it a fancy sheath so probably the knife. WCF Kephart.
    The one in the middle,but the others are great too, especially the RW Fred
    [​IMG]

4. Top Gibson

Top Gibson Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hard to say....guess it's my poncho liners.... 4 knives.jpg

5. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Poncho Liner, good call. Then again come winter my wool blanket sees a lot of use keeping the cold at bay. really tough to choose just one.

6. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Firebox Stove

unnamed (3).jpg

beestokk, buckfynn, Amon81 and 16 others like this.
  7. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to give a few (sorry!).

1. I started taking a tripod stool with me a couple of years ago. Great decision. I love it.

2. Tube bellows. Makes your life with fire so much easier. 20181012_070058.jpg

3. My cheap two man tent.

8. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It would be my Bark River Knife. 2018-10-11-23-31-42.jpg

Gavin, buckfynn, ponchomatt and 15 others like this.
  9. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    Laptop - its how I log on here :D

10. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've got an insulated, double-walled, stainless steel coffee cup that I've had forever and love.

11. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My knife....knives....I could never pick just one.

12. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is one of those “chicken or the egg” conundrums. All my pieces of gear work together, each assists the other in keeping me comfortable in the bush, none stand alone, but since I must choose...

I choose a 4-pint billy pot with a bowl shaped lid. It allows me to make my tea from wild water, cooks my food, bakes my bread, and allows me to warm water for bathing. It gives me more pleasure than any other piece of gear,,,

542A4BF5-4649-455D-A257-D4DE636EA5FE.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  13. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a reusable metal pie pan that is a plate, a skillet, a place to keep tinder off the ground if it's wet when using ferro rod or Flint and steel, fans flames, can put a knee on it to stay dry, can use sort of like a reflector oven, even use it as a makeshift shovel to move coals around from the fire. I have a second one, occasionally I'll bring it also and have a lightweight Dutch oven in my pack. Got them both for $2 at a thrift store.

14. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

15. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In my avatar, you will see a leather belt with some stuff on it wrapped around a tree. That belt was a gift from my father to my grandfather, and has all of our names on it, and some other stuff like a picture of the family cabin. When my grandfather passed away, I found it, dry and brittle as paper. Cracked in some places. I damned near drowned it in Obenauf's until it became soft and pliable again, and it took on that beautiful ruddy brown color. That one has the most sentimental value. Also on it, you see a fold up pouch from Badger Claw Leatherworks. My wife bought that for me. I didn't ask. she just saw it, and bought it at the New England Bushcraft show. I absolutely love it and it complements my belt kit very well.

I like my belt kit, I love using it, I love the smell of it, and I love having mementos on me that remind me of loved ones, past and present.

I also have an aluminum tea leaf infuser from my grandmother that I keep in my cook kit. I keep a pink granite stone in my flint and steel kit from Deer Isle where I have family...the island was basically founded on lobster, fishing, and quarrying granite. It reminds me of the place. I also have a sandstone bowdrill socket I made myself from a stone I gathered at my beloved cabin in Maine.

I would encourage anyone to keep an open mind about mementos they can incorporate into their kit. I have found it very gratifying.

Incidentally, I am not a very sentimental or emotional guy...the opposite really. I'm not spiritual, either.

But, having these things make everything better. They make me happier.

16. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh geez.. If I can be broad, I'd say "cutting tools"... because they allow me to create other things, things I can use, things that help smooth it out there... etc.

More specific, perhaps would be my hammock. Comfortable, up off the ground, lightweight and travels easily. A good rest at night can help a woodsman be more alert, focused and clear... and all of those things translate into better decisions and skills while awake.

Just don't make me choose from my "cutting tools" category! I don't know if I could pick a favorite child! lol.

Very nice... what model? Looks like perhaps a full flat grind, maybe convex?

17. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wish we could assign multiple "points" to a post instead of a single "like". I'd give your post 1 MILLION points. I wish I had mementos and heirlooms such as those. Thankfully, I am creating my own so that a couple generations from now, my grandkids and great-grandkids (and hopefully beyond that) will have some very cool stuff.

18. MAD Punty

Blog Posts:
    Well, the flip side of that is that I do not have children to pass anything down to, sadly.

Tell you what, though. That belt idea was pretty awesome. I guess my father gave it to my grandfather when he became a grandfather....so that's why our names were all on it. I highly recommend it as a great heirloom item. :)

19. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't worry, nieces and nephews work too. None of those, kids belonging to your best friend... none of those, find a deserving Boy Scout or Eagle Scout perhaps. I'm sure we can find a deserving, respectable, and honorable young person to pass it all down to. So long as it gets used, loved, and appreciated.

I think I may borrow the belt idea though, it really is a brilliant concept!

20. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It is a convex grind and it is their Aurora II model.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  21. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Easily it would be something along the lines like stainless water bottle or piece of cooking gear. After that it's my old Integral Designs Sil tarp.

22. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pocket bellows! (Currently missing I think my two year old grab and dashed it into hiding)
    My fires have been sad since it went missing but when it returns they will be magical again.

23. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lol as I used to consider myself a UL backpacker I think of my ge as r as backpacking gear. My only bushcraft gear is my knife and saw. Loooove my A1 but the saw really helps get the most out of it. But if I had to sell all my gear and keep 1 thing it's probably be my underquilt. I can use it with a bedsheet hammock and still be warm and comfy vs. Using my high speed hammock without a UQ which would suck.

I really love my wookie UQs. I cant believe it's not the new standard. Dont know theyre bushcraft though.

24. MAD Punty

Blog Posts:
    Rub some dirt on it. :dblthumb:

25. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :18:

I did drop myself for the first time this past weekend. UQ right into the wet ground with me on it lol.

Of course, HAD to happen when two ladies were walking by on horses. Damn thing had been up 2 days, just gave out of nowhere. Everyone had a good laugh :rolleyes:

26. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My "Swedish" mess kit in stainless. This thing is bulletproof, and so ridiculously versatile it's not funny. If you get a chance to buy one, dont hesitate, you'll thank me later.

27. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For me it's hard I have both of them on me at all the time even when I not in the woods :34:. My Haversack that was given to me by @NevadaBlue and my Condor bushlore from @Brainburn
    I would like to say thank you guys once more for the gear I have them on me ever day thank you.
    Prov 27:17 20180410_210811.jpg 20180111_160831.jpg

Attached Files:

28. Ullr-North

Ullr-North Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My Skrama.

IMG_1505.JPG
    Close second is my titanium canteen and canteen cup from Heavy Cover.

29. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I saw this thread when it was posted and couldn’t figure out the ‘favorite’. After reading the posts so far, I figured it out.

The blob of jelly between my ears. Makes it all possible. But, it seems to be shrinking... ;)

30. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    back when i was still able to ride it would have been the DR-350, DL-650 or the URAL

now it would fall back to the Jeep Cherokee or the F-350

any one or all the above vehicles would qualify as my fave since they haul my kit... depending on the adventure ;-)

having the ability to have my stuff is paramount

31. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just one is hard chose as @Haggis mentioned above my kit works together each piece has a porpoise.
    A knife is great when you need to cut something but a sleeping bag will keep you warmer on a cold night.

32. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    im not a bushcrafter..really.

my favorite gear for getting outside. by far, my boots. which boots? any of them. i have bad feet and i love a good pair of boots that helps me climb around at 9500 feet elevation looking for elk. right now, the boots are Solomans.

when i am butchering an animal, which knife i am using is a distant thing in my mind. as long as it is sharp. as soon as i start packing it out, i am again, thanking my boots. (in that case, a close second are TREKKING POLES)

33. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bush Craft to me invariably means camping, which in turn means a trek of about 45 - 60 minutes from where I leave my vehicle, and that means carrying kit on my back, and for that my Royal Marines Bergan is definitely my favourite bit of kit.
    I can carry all I need for week in the wood in my Bergan and it's comfortable, well made and also I have had it for many years so we're like old friends...:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could replace all my other kit, but this Bergan is family...:18:

34. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't you hate it when the little ones hide your stuff. Drives me nuts! Trying to count my blessings and enjoy this season before it passes, though.

freebirdfb, Gavin, NevadaBlue and 2 others like this.
  35. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In reality my cheap pocket folder sees use daily. I can't really say that about any other gear. I couldn't tell where half my gear is at the moment. I know when I don't have my knife.
    Cheers Jim

36. budman5

budman5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Love my Tipi by TiGoat

37. Bush Billy

Bush Billy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My pack. It's the one and only item that consistently accompanies me on my ventures. Everything else gets swapped out dependent on need or whimsical amusement.

38. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I agree it is hard to pic one item. Although I don't use this knife much anymore, it was one of my favorite blades.
    [​IMG]

Besides the Mora I would say my SAK Farmer and Tops BOB.

[​IMG]

39. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    One-knife fire I take it? Looks like it's seen some use; I have one on it's way now... how's it working out (it looks to be holding up just fine), but in actual use, is it still as efficient and functional as most would hope and assume it is?

Sorry about the sidebar all....

40. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    4D8AF4E5-BFAD-411F-B09D-5116858B301D.jpeg

Gotta be my Mora Classic #2. I own 60+ edged tools, some quite expensive, and I really need to use more of them more often. But, I find I always pack and reach for this.

Note the cool break-away knot on the neck lanyard... video on that coming soon I hope.

41. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I noticed it first in your two choices, then went back and realized... pretty much everyone picked "simple" items. Bags, boots, a knife, a tool, a stove..et al. I think you nailed the pattern here... the "best" items that are our favorites are the simple ones. The ones that work best because they are simple, they do a few things very well without fail.

Some of that might tie into the mindset that many of us have about knowing more and having more skills and less gear. The gear we then choose becomes more simplistic in nature, if not less in quantity.

I like that concept and the general idea that applies to it. Good one everyone!

Now stop making me think so deep and intellectual like. It's the freaking weekend starting!

42. geojag

geojag Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I had to pick one item, I guess it would be my GB SFA. It was one of the first quality pieces of gear I bought, and it has been a constant for about 17 years now. In that time I have changed out pretty much every other piece of gear, but the SFA is still my go to ax.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  43. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Strangely, currently my Farmer SAK and redwood limb walking stick, for when I walk our cat Biskit around the yard.

44. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    57EE7ED4-9E95-4802-82D6-2F22447DD37E.jpeg
    I also would have to say my mora classic no 2. I have been through many knives but usually end up going back to this one. It was a gift from a very dear friend. Although here lately my 511 has been getting a little more attention :)

45. Amon81

Amon81 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Has to be my go to knife of the last 12 years.

[​IMG]

Scrubs, gdpolk, JasonJ and 7 others like this.
  46. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0394.JPG this.. by a Longshot. I wish everyone could have a P.S.G

47. HunterX9

HunterX9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    That’s awesome. I’m sure that makes carrying extra gear so much easier.

woodsmanjohn and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  48. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I came out of the Woods with only my Dog it would be a win.
    Irreplaceable....................

49. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Of all the things that have come and gone, the two constants are my medium a.l.i.c.e., and my Swedish gas mask bag / haversack. Both have been in my kit, since the late 70's.

blind & lost and woodsmanjohn like this.
  50. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I can't pick just one piece... But I'll share the gear that goes out with me every time; 5- or 8-cup Mors Pot, BCUSA poncho and 10x10 tarp, WM sleeping bag, ThermaRest NEOAir pad, a pot chain, my compass and SAK, Polar Pure iodine prills for water treatment, my FAK and repair kits, my USGI wool shirt, a certain pair of pants and shirt, and wool socks.

Other stuff depends on the trip and purpose... Fallkniven WM1 for deer, Condor Nessmuk for squirrels/rabbits, F1 for general use, Hennessy Hammock and JRB underquilt for buggy weather, Palladium shoes for hunting, Merrill Moabs for hiking/backpacking, etc.

woodsmanjohn likes this.