your favorite pocket knife for carving/whittling?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Sealbilly, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Sealbilly

Sealbilly Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry a sobbuster jr. and want a SAK Mountaineer but I don't carve much at all. Just wondering what is a good pocket knife is that lots of folks use to carve/whittle with.

2. BushBum

BushBum Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not i credibly sexy or anythin, but a simple sak luke a camper or hiker had for by victorinox can be had for under 30$ and make dandy pocket carvers.. though my carving tends to be functional rather than beautiful, and I admiitedly use a mora for most of it..My brother however sells his decorative carvings regularly and exclusively uses the small blade on his victorinox spartan.. Also allot of oldtimers I know like the case medium stockman oatterns in CV steel Good luck in your search

3. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Does the sodbuster not carve well for you? I find they do a moderate amount of work for me. Great eastern cutlery sells great steel. Many knife patterns some of which whittle better. Flexcut makes a few carving jacks that have gouges and other tools besides just a small straight blade.

You will need to strop any knife you get to hair popping sharp to whittle or carve easily. The wood should slice easily and the wood should look shiny after it's cut. Maintaining an edge takes practice and skill but it's worth it.

4. Expo 6

Expo 6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like a simple SAK. The thin blades get scary sharp with a bit of stropping, and they cost next to nothing.

5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carried a Camillus Barlow as a kid... hard to beat for whittling. Pointy blade, rounded blade, and scary sharp.

I now carry a SAK (Tinker for EDC, Huntsman/Fieldmaster for the woods. same blades), and it works fine for most stuff. It's harder to make mortises with, since there's no pointy blade, but the awl works fine as a drill.

An old American made Schrade Old Timer (junior stockman, I think is the model... 3-bladed, regardless), if you can find one not too used and sharpened into oblivion, would also be good.

6. Ulfgrim

Ulfgrim Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like a medium or large stockman. A large congress is also one I enjoy.

7. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    yet to find a task these can't handle

P1000997_zps84811117.jpg

8. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
  9. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    As much as I love my SAKs, I am a doof and have closed it too many times on my fingers.

99% of the time, it happens when I try to bore holes. I thus like to use fixed blade scandis that are about 2 to 2.5 inches long.

10. kamagong

kamagong Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like a wharncliffe for whittling.

[​IMG]

11. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I modified my SAK Tinker. The small blade is now a great carver. This doesn't take much work.

[​IMG]

Ken

12. CSMMIKE

CSMMIKE Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like my SAK, Officer's model for carving. The small blade works well. My favorite though, is an old, well-worn Camillus, Grand Daddy, Barlow #9 knife that I inherited from my father-in-law. 100_2460.jpg

13. ROWYGO

ROWYGO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    My Leatherman Rebar does a good job. This is my first attempt at a wood spirit and I am happy happy happy

14. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Camco Barlow
    Victorinox Hiker

15. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    The pictures are stock I grabbed from the Internet.

The Barlow is the classic American whittler with a comfortable, rounded handle, a large clip blade and a small pen blade. Mine is a Schrade USA.

Knife Barlow.jpg

A fine smaller knife to add to the Barlow is the Congressional Whittler. These vary some with the blade patterns but most have a large and small sheepsfoot, a coping, and a pen blade.

Knife Congress.jpg

A good whittler/general purpose pattern is the stockman. I've had a mini-stockman (Schrade USA) in my pocket for the last 40 years or so. These have spey, clip and sheepsfoot blade.

knife stockman.jpg

There are dozens of fixed blade carving knives with all sorts of blade and handle configurations, but any one of the folders shown will do nicely. The Sodbuster is a fine general pattern but knives designed for the purpose make better whittlers.

16. grelcar

grelcar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Queen Half Congress in D2 steel that makes a good carving knife. Handle is large enough and the blades aren't too large. Here is a stock photo.

Queen Birdseye.jpg

Greg

17. jmcs426

jmcs426 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Stockman

I use my Case Yellow Delrin Medium Stockman for whittling. I like the versatility of the three different blade profiles. The sharp point of the sheep's foot blade is very useful, along with the rounded end of the spey blade. Having three blades also gives you the option of keeping one blade very sharp.

18. Skogdrengr

Skogdrengr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Flexxcut carving jack

19. Charcoal

Charcoal Guide

Blog Posts:
    Carbon Opinel no. 8.

20. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

For a basic "already got it in my pocket" sort of whittling knife I like the Great Eastern Houndstooth.

[​IMG]

When I intend on carving with a pocket knife then it is the Flexcut Whittlin Jack.

21. Craig9802

Craig9802 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've done quite a few things with my Case Sway Back Jack and Schrade Old Timer medium stockman. I also have a small stockman that I use occasionally, but it was my Grandpa's, and I don't want to loosen the springs and pivots up any more than they already are. My SAK's - Tinker and Officer, have pulled whittling duty too, and they do a fine job.

If I'm working on something that might require a little more effort, I'll sometimes use one of my locking folders (Spiderco Dragonfly, some other cheapo's), just to improve my odds of being able to count to 10 when I'm done. Now that I've got a good edge on my Mora Robust and my other fixed-blade dedicated carving knives, I usually reach for those if I'm near my garage.