1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

your toughest combustion-engined vehicle with fewest repairs, ever ...

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Paul Foreman, Jan 13, 2015.

1. kensfj40

kensfj40 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    1981 Toyota FJ40 - 2013 Toyota FJC. They just run...

recycled365, Edgeman and PMSteve like this.
  2. rmil

rmil Texan

Blog Posts:
    Most reliable vehicle I ever owned was a 77 international Scout II, never, ever left me stranded and only typical repairs ever needed. Plus, she'd have climbed a tree if I'd asked her to.

recycled365 and EyeOfTheHawk like this.
  3. teotwaki

teotwaki Scout

Blog Posts:
    recycled365, Edgeman and Lichen like this.
  4. colter

colter BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    84 4runner 458k when the original HG blew
    95 FZJ80 315k beat battered and abused. Looks like a raisin. Needs some work
    86 4runner SAS 395k when I threw a rod. Kept it, put in a DOA engine.

Toyota 4x4 pickup with a 22re and a solid axle. Or a tacoma or 4runner with the 3.4 both are damn near bulletproof and easy to work on yourself, with good aftermarket support.

recycled365 and Edgeman like this.
  5. austexjg

austexjg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hard to beat the SR22 engines in the older the older Toyota trucks. I had a 1984 4-runner with over 300,000 when a lady t-boned me - I believe the truck might have been repaired and turned into a hunting truck. I brother has a 1988 4-runner with 278,000 miles that was recently retired to the lease as a hunting truck. They are tough little 4 cylinders for sure.

recycled365, Edgeman and Paul Foreman like this.
  6. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mustang or ranger either with 2.3 motor, had them both. But my longest running toughest truck engine combo was by far my 93 ford ranger with 4.0 4x4 5spd. Other than the autohubs, everything was unbreakable. the auto hubs were welded to live axle and they never died again.

Paul Foreman likes this.
  7. EyeOfTheHawk

EyeOfTheHawk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0743.JPG 1975 K5 Blazer

Thing has well over 200k miles and runs like a champ. Never failed me. I have only owned it a few years but it has been the best vehicle I have ever had by far. I like old trucks, I like working in them myself. They just don't make anything this cool anymore.

8. THRsucks

THRsucks Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I loved my Mazda mx3, terrible to work on but it wasn't something I had to mess with much.
    I like Toyota Corollas and Tacoma trucks from what I have experience with. As close as they come to trouble free that I know.
    A geo metro, or tracker seem to be excellent too.

recycled365 likes this.
  9. THRsucks

THRsucks Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had a hand me down k5, sold it due to hard times, wished I didn't. If I can find a International harvesters scout tho...think I'd buy it over a blazer, or bronco.

10. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My first vehicle was an 82 K2 that was my great uncles. There was a dent in the roof on the passanger side of the cabin where my grandfather used to ride. One day Uncle James and Grandpa were after some hunting dogs on some bad dirt roads and my pop's button on the top of his hat left a little dent in it. It went through 3 generations of our family before we sold it. What a great truck with fond memories. Ours was a blue custom deluxe.

11. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hate to admit this but...
    My vette gave me the best service I ever had. Bought it in 1978 and drove it for 5 years of college and never had to do anything to it other than oil changes and tires. Not even any brake work. In 1985, when I got out of college, I traded it for a Toyota MR2 and they allowed me the same thing ($4000.00) that I paid for it in 1978.

So why do I hate to admit this?...It was a Chevette not a Corvette.

recycled365 likes this.
  12. bosque bob

bosque bob Tracker

Blog Posts:
    1949 HD Servicar. Jockey shift and one ratty ride but utterly dependable. No key - just twisted the wires together and held them with an alligator clamp when it was time to go. Never fast, never shiny and never failed.

A very close second - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado. Just as dependable but a whole lot faster and shinier.

13. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    OKA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OKA_4wd

14. recycled365

recycled365 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My best was an old 1978 Land Rover Type 2, loved that thing. My current ride is a 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 which with care, I will enjoy it for many years to come.

15. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been driving this old rust bucket for about 6 years now, it had 330,000 kilometres on the clock when I bought it and the odometer died over 5 years ago and I always thought that was its second trip around the clock
    Made in 1996, drives like a truck, not at all sophisticated or pretty but it is quick off the mark and stops fast even if it runs out of steam at 155kph due to the low gearing for towing
    Ford has stopped making cars in Australia now so this thing is appreciating in value every day
    I paid #3k It is now worth $7.7k for insurance purposes Very soon it will need new rings and bearings
    My tools live in the big box and the chains and towing stuff in the old army chain locker naturally, and this is also where I keep my spare clothing and the bivvy gear at all times
    Still gives me an old fashioned 25 MPG on the highway when loaded with 700kg but it drops to about 19mpg when towing the same at the same time
    I'd like a newer more fuel efficient car but I simply don't have $55- k to buy one so this is it for a few years yet

Attached Files: