Youtube

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by mr c, Jan 15, 2018.

1. mr c

mr c Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Personally i am getting fed up with the youtube culture.
    Box opening videos and the like.
    People are getting obsessed with being internet famous,the hits they get and sponsorship money. Its a shame it affects the bushcraft community more than most lately with them filtering into forums doing all they can to get your hits.
    Dont get me wrong some are good and informative but these are getting few and far between.
    Or maybe im getting old and grumpy

2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well then I'm getting old and grumpy right along with you, lol.
    Some people have replaced their still cameras with video cameras. Just a sign of the times I guess.

I feel the same way when I'm reading Fox News Online and I click on an article, only to find out it's a video. Sometimes I'd just as soon read and look without having to watch a video.

3. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well, at least there are 3 of us old goats on the forum. joe

4. TX-1948

TX-1948 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  5. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Make that four.

6. Badey

Badey Bushmaster Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Count me in as part of the club. I couldn't find one for YouTube, but this sums up my position...

IMG_6165.JPG

DavidJAFO, Lode, PMSteve and 21 others like this.
  7. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Like Van Halen said: Change, nothing stays the same
    I was never one who liked to read. I don't know how I made it through college. lol
    Heck my preferred threads here are the ones with videos.
    I much prefer a visual approach to learning and YouTube is an awesome available tool for me.

8. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We should start an Old Goats Club.
    This last fall I traded in my "smart" phone and went back to a "dumb" phone.

Coyote Ron

9. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Agreed it is a powerful tool. But it's getting hard to sift thru the muck to find the pearl oysters.

Most of the instant electronic crowd would say "Who is Van Halen?"

Coyote Ron

10. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've watched some good vids, but when the those folks turned it into income sources they had to start putting out garbage just to increase their hits. I had to quit watching them after that.

11. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Don't get me wrong. I love youtube and watch it all the time. When I want to. And usually on my TV.
    I come to a forum like this to read threads and look at pictures, not click on YT videos. If something really interests me I'll go to YT to watch it... if I remember :)

12. DCP

DCP Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Let people do what they want. In my view it is the same as people who yack on here all day giving advice but never actually go out to the woods. At the end of the day if that is what they enjoy good for them keep on keeping on.

13. operatord

operatord Mora Tribe #574 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a few peeves about YT bushcraft videos I see a lot of.

1: Long intros with really loud horrible music. Some of these videos make me wonder if I’m watching a knife review or a Star Wars Movie.

2. Reviews on things that were obviously never used.
    You seem to see these a lot on “this is my kit” videos. How can you give an honest review on something like a Billie can if you haven’t cooked/boiled anything in it.

I like videos that take me along on their journey. I don’t always want to hear their commentary or opinions. Sometimes I can’t get outside myself, and just want to “tag along”.

14. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Guide Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here is my point of view, take it for what it's worth.

Video has it's place on this forum, just like still photos and words. Have you done any bushclasses? They would not be the same without video. Being able to see what someone is doing makes it a whole lot easier to learn it for yourself. Video makes that easier, but words and pictures are all part of that equation.

That being said, I do agree that people who do gear reviews only are lame and do not get any of my attention. I don't really care about them at all.

The best part about all of this? You don't have to watch them here at all. You can scroll right over them and not click the link. How nice is that?

That's my $.02.

15. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    I come from a generation that that still read books, newspapers (how many get a daily paper?) and or course magazines.
    One could thumb thru the magazines to see if you want to read it.

I guess writing a post or posting a pic is too much work,... I don't know....but unless I really want to know what the vid is....I just don't watch them.....
    You want to tell me something....write a post and post pic's....

Tell me "go watch the video" is just lazy and lacks class...I have no time for that

The moden I use is slow...and I refuse to wait for buffering to watch something unless I am really interested.
    Most are either pretty lame ...or like a TV ads... that I mute.....and are way too long.
    Geezers have about a 3 minute attention span....then forget what is going on ...so just move on.

No,.... don't have a smart phone (flip),... don't text or take pictures with it, don't tweet, facebox or much of any media.....and all of the time sucking stuff that come with media.
    At my age I don't waste my time...don't know how much left....

I prefer the term "Geezer"...well earned name, I might add, .....and frankly, don't care much for classless remarks...so I just don't bother with them.

Used to have the charter member number of the "Greezer club" in my signature...but now you have to "Pay for it"...this is the only forum that does that that I know of.???
    I pick and choose what I consider spending my money on....

I will say,.. I do enjoy forums dealing with those people whose activities are the same things I enjoy.
    Enjoy "Google" to look up stuff I should remember....and looking at pictures.

T MAC, Kreger, Winterhorse and 9 others like this.
  16. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yep, if you want to re-live 87 days in the woods...you must be a youtuber.
    and if you gotta primp your hair, polish your nails and put on makeup to do your bush class...you must be a youtuber.

there are some originals, tho. just not here.

Kreger, OrienM, ManyHammers and 7 others like this.
  17. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Guide Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Ouch. Are you saying you don't think there is anyone on this forum that makes a good video that is original or worth watching?

18. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i use to like joe, dave, iz and some other old schoolers but i don't see them here anymore.

19. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remember back when I used to remember.

20. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    For me its kind of different. I know youtube changed its advertising policy and I dont think there is the get rich deal it used to be. When they first changed it was really bad as the posters I liked just quit posting and then there was nothing but old content. Lately a lot of them are posting up often again so its a little better. I still prefer it over whats on cable TV as at least I control what I watch and when I watch it. I dont care for the new reviews either as they are just junk. Give me a review on a product you have had for a year and really tested it. Not just an out of the box observation but something meaningful.

21. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I get the point. Commercial and self interest concerns outweighing the discussion. However that trend is not a new thing. In this case just wrapped with a different bow. I cruise YouTube often. Get all sorts of ideas. Do my reaseach from there. It is annoying to sift a ton of junk to find a good series on a given topic. But watching videos with no serious intent can be useful. Couple of guys melting pennies with a big lense and the sun for example. Hmmm want to to bend some mild steel? Super hot and free spot heater.
    Cheers
    Jim

22. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I found the solution. Watch what you want to watch. Don't watch the rest. News articles usually have a symbol that denotes video, I refuse to watch and if one does appear, I just kill it.

If you like excellent photography, and the 'go along' video to relax and learn from, look at Cimbrer Bushcraft. Tom does a fine job of taking us with him in the woods. I think my favorite is called something like rain and coffee... no talking at all, no stupid music, just rain falling and someone enjoying the woods.

Be positive, stay away from the mess. Hope that youtube continues to allow us to use their site.

Just so we have a video in this thread, here is

Rain, tarp and coffee.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  23. TX-1948

TX-1948 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Age and perspective have a lot to do with the video vs reading. I happen to love reading and I grew up a long time before videos were available. Sometimes jump to the end of an article I am reading or just quit reading it, sometimes I jump through a video or stop watching it. While we have several folks here that make great videos of trips or activities, it seems that Youtube does attract lots of folks that have a camera, computer and little depth of knowledge of anything.
    I tend to prefer reading and looking at pictures, but a well made video will keep my attention. IMHO YMMV

24. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I too am old and grumpy !

25. kensfj40

kensfj40 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It does seem like lots of people are in love with the sound of their own voice...count me as old and grumpy as well.

26. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like videos where the presenter edits the video into short scenes with multiple angles and perspectives. The speaker makes a point and doesn't drone on with multiple repetition. Also I don't have time to watch several minutes of chopping or batoning.

27. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a skanky little channel so take that into consideration when hearing me out. The number of views you get from internet forums on YT via message board postings are irrelevant. Not really worth the time posting the video if that's the only intent. One of several reasons why I never made a thread with that intent. The video is part of a proper posting which includes pics combined with a short and in my case typo ridden write up. Spell checker just does stuff on it's own and I don't have the attention span to fight it. LOL! This is one reason why you don't see the larger YT personalizes post a video only on forums. It's not worth their time.

28. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've learned a ton of useful information from YT. That said it's getting harder and harder to find good content there.

When it becomes more about making $$$ for the presenter than it does helping people and freely passing along the same information someone else freely gave them... I immediately lose interest. Everyone has to make a living but some are sure quick to forget where they came from.

29. mr c

mr c Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Offending anyone was not my intention.
    There are some good videos out there but its becoming a lucky dip.
    If some younger members start watching videos that contain poor usage of tools and sub par technique then that does create problems and avoidable accidents.

30. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Youtube= the great equalizer, if you can't figure out an other way to get your allotted 10 minutes claim to fame in a lifetime then Youtube is your savior.

31. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Boy ain't that the truth. I think that's what turns me off of video posters in general.
    I remember when a gun forum had some members with decent content in their postings and actually used to participate. Then next thing you know they start posting videos. Nothing wrong with that. But then came lack of participation as their YT channels grew and pretty soon it was forget where you came from and who your early subscribers were. If they showed up at all it was just to post their latest video and they wouldn't bother answering any questions. Pretty soon that even stopped. Maybe they were asked to get a vendors license if all they were using the forum for was to post their channel.

So maybe I'm a little tainted when all I see is a subject line and an embedded video.

32. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    I think the real challenge for any community on the internet is retaining and growing participation of content providers. By content providers I am talking about people like @NWPrimate @mtwarden @bacpacjac @rsnurkle and others.... No one is irreplaceable but Instagram and YT are competitors for these people's time. You can't lose too many of them without an impact and like supporters I would imagine their numbers in % terms to be very small. Bushcraft USA has an advantage of it's good and sharing community but still this issue is probably on the admin's minds.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  33. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No offense was taken at all brother. I totally agree it's getting harder by the day to find anything worth watching there and many are putting out bad content that could be very dangerous or even deadly for their viewers.

34. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    I'm an old onery goat too, and I must admit there's alotta gristle out there in youtube land....but I just cut it away to get to the real meat and enjoy!;):dblthumb:

35. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some people learn easily and quickly from well written text. I am one. I find a 10 to 15 minute video wastes a LOT of my time, when I could read the same information in 2 or 3 minutes.

Unfortunately video is an easier way than producing a well written technical instruction article.

Lower standards of literacy and a need for instant gratification are the driving forces for this change.

36. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nothing like a review that starts XYZ company sent this to me to review. Might as well stop right there because you know that fan boy will simply be blowing sunshine for fear of never getting another free thing to review.

Or even better their second sentence of their video titled the Ruger vs. Savage’s XYZ is: “I have not shot the Ruger but…”. Another stop right their video :D

37. BushTramp

BushTramp Team Canada Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Interesting thread -I have often wondered who went around holding a gun to people's heads and made them
    Watch YouTube.Something I have noticed as far as the "forget where they came from" is that if someone does make decent videos and people start to like them "where they came from" is the first to tear them down and criticize them so why would they stay and why would you miss them.A day or two ago I saw a post about whipping axe handles and posted a video I had made about exactly that knowing full well how it would go over but thought "screw it"I will post it anyway because it just may help someone who is not so miserable -just my 2cents
    P.s -watch my latest YouTube video it is all high speed action from my birdfeeder haha

38. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    There are several members here that only post a thread title and a link to their newest video.
    I honestly do not watch them. Eventually they move on...

39. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    I have to disagree that making a video is somehow easier than a proper message board post (not that my writing or photography skills are good). If anyone thinks it’s easy to take video in the woods they’re mistaken. Ok it is easy to do a table top review of something but try taking video in the rain or sub zero. It’s hard. Also editing video is hard. None of this is easy but if done right it looks easy to the viewer so maybe that is why people could believe it is easier. Same goes for a message board post. Those are not easy. The person needs to constantly interrupt their dirt time taking pics. The pic camera is subject to the same conditions of the video camera. Then they have to sift through piles of pics to get the right ones. Upload them as well. Then write up a little story. All content providing is hard. There is no easier one IMHO. Then on top of that they open themselves up to keyboard commandos, trolls and other internet low life more than willing to criticize their hard work. But on the positive it is fun and most people are nice. :)

40. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ugh. When trying to get some solid info on a product and being subjected to five minutes of every view imaginable of the unopened box followed by a like amount of time unpacking the product is a major turn off for me. Youtube is like anything else, there's good and bad.

41. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    I only watch "bushcraft" type Youtube vids based on scenery and what's cooking for suppah since I've already got proper gear, know how to start a fire and what a campfire looks like.

42. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    What humors me on a lot of those is the dining room table shot and the whispered, or hushed words.
    It's like the guy is hiding his making a video from his wife in bed or something.

I don't mind some table top videos. Like that guy who does all the alcohol stove and fuel testing. If he wants to shoot videos in his basement instead of the woods that's fine with me.
    But sometimes ya got to get outside to do the real testing.

43. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    Thats why I keep watching Joe Robinet,and he lets you know if the gear he is using has problems.

44. Cavemanrob

Cavemanrob Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm seriously considering starting a channel. Not because I think I'm going to benefit monetarily, It's just a good easy way to document progress, share new ideas, and maybe get new younger people into being outdoors. If you earn an extra 50 bucks a month or something from ads, that could fund a new purchase.

I really don't think anyone wants to hear me ramble on about things, so I'm going to let the nature speak, and do a "silent type" videos.

When I do watch YouTube videos, Its short informative videos, like knot-tying or butchering, or videos that show great scenery, cool locations, and places I haven't gone.....yet......

the people who make good videos stick around, and the ones who are only in if for the money will peter out quickly.

45. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I used to enjoy his videos and he was one of the first that I watched anything he had out. When they started becoming a couple hours long I stopped.
    But that's me. I like condensed videos. A little walking, a little chopping, a little fire building, a little cooking. About twenty minutes is ideal for me. Like a half hour show without the commercials.
    I can scroll through longer videos to get to what I want to see, but when they are over an hour it's too hard.

Jayson, UAHiker, atlastrekker and 8 others like this.
  46. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    If you want to be a success in making Bushcraft videos be sure sure to bring your dog along and take plenty action shots of it and spend less time waking up every half hour during the night to show everybody the outside/inside temperature from your Smart phone.

47. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

I was eating breakfast at my favorite local downtown greasy spoon not long ago. Classic, run down 1960s decor and they have an "Oldies" station playing from a cheap radio behind the counter. I started feeling my age when Feel Your Love Tonight came over the air.

I'm getting older and becoming grumpier, but I've also become a Youtube junkie. Don't even own a TV anymore. Yup, I will sit and watch an entire 2 hour long Joe Robinet video.

Well, I'll be... haven't seen that channel before. Looks good. Thank you much. :)

As with anything else, take what you like and leave the rest. I get a bit annoyed sometimes by product reviews and sponsorship stuff, but hey, can't hold it against anyone if they want to try and make a few bucks from doing something they love.

48. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    The only thing I don't like about Joe is that dang blue Bic!

atlastrekker, TX-1948 and MrFixIt like this.
  49. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    I know, that's why I always carry and use a Red Bic.

atlastrekker, TX-1948 and MrFixIt like this.
  50. DCPugh

DCPugh Woods Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Heck id guess you could add me to the old goat club, although I’m only in my thirties. I get so fed up with with these YouTube people.

TX-1948, MrFixIt and ManyHammers like this.