Youtube

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by mr c, Jan 15, 2018.

1. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    Pink,nobody will borrow or steal it!

Winterhorse, MrFixIt, RickWA and 3 others like this.
  2. mr c

mr c Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have green

MrFixIt and ManyHammers like this.
  3. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a bright pink one that no one would steal...But then I wrapped it with 3 feet of gorilla tape.

Coyote Ron

MrFixIt, mr c and ManyHammers like this.
  4. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    Orange Bic....Matches my deer hunters Blaze orange hunting "outfit"(DW's description)
    I want everything to match

MrFixIt, mr c and ManyHammers like this.
  5. ScrambledO

ScrambledO Scout

Blog Posts:
    FYI i love BCUSA. Always have. Told hundreds of people this is where i got my sea legs for bushcraftin'! So, i havn't forgot about BCUSA... but i do like several other platforms more. Why? Better apps, wider reach, etc.

My .02, life is too short to be grumpy. If you don't like "youtube culture", then don't watch it. Why would you spend your time doing something that upsets you?

6. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic

Blog Posts:
    That’s my thoughts too, but would add complaining about it and disparaging others instead of ignoring it and moving on.

7. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Joe has a groovy-cool pink phone.

[​IMG]

:p

8. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If there’s one Youtuber I like, it’s Primitive Technology. If you haven’t seen him, you really should!
    -BushcrafterAU

9. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hopefully, joe gots a pink ferro rod, too!

MrFixIt, Midwest.Bushlore and RickWA like this.
  10. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Nope. It's big and orange and has a very long, sturdy, well-anchored lanyard.

[​IMG]

:D

11. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is all pretty timely for me as I'm exploring youtube as a venue to further some of the non-profit work I do. Interesting to see what folks find of value and not.

12. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This quote from me may have been misinterpreted. It wasn't meant as a reference to anyone from here that does YT videos but no longer hangs out here. I simply meant it in reference to those that fail to give credit where credit is due. ie take information they learned one week from other YTers (or elsewhere) and present it the next week in a video of their own as if they are an authority on the subject.

13. Jason Eke

Jason Eke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had a Youtube channel since 2009. I also make short documentaries (two so far).

So my opinion is a bit biased I guess, but hey, I might as well weigh in here.

My channel was one of the first (if not the first) to go through the entire process of building a wood strip canoe. I've published a lot of videos on canoe building, canoe trips, canoe culture, canoe racing, camping, bushcraft, etc etc...

I actually got started almost by fluke. A friend told me I should make a few videos (back when Youtube was hardly a thing) and for the heck of it I thought why not. Truthfully, those first videos are embarrassing... so bad. Cheap camera, poor audio... But what I can tell you is that I discovered something that I really fell in love with.

Creating video and short film has become basically an art form for me. I think about composition, lighting, colour, audio and of course trying to tell a story.

I see a lot of people getting into it, and I don't mind. There's even a very popular canoe build video that starts out with the guy saying "I'm not a canoe builder... but..." I could almost be offended by it but I think it's ok too.

Here's the thing (in my opinion).

Nobody is complaining or critiquing anyones photography skills or writing skills, but for some reason a lot of people don't like video. Which is weird, because most people watch tv. Most people watch too much tv. When do you ever hear anyone say, "uh, stop sharing stories about being out in the wild... I've heard them before."

It's great that people can use video for story telling.

It's also great that we're able to search for information that's presented in video format.

And, I think it's also great that we have a choice. Skip the video, stop watching the video, choose not to watch, etc.

You know, when I think about it. There are a lot of people building canoes too. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I hate that I keep seeing all of those wood canoes... I wish only a few people made them."

After all, most people making Youtube videos are putting a lot of work and effort into their creation.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion too, this was just mine.

14. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
  15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome. When I found his channel, I took the time to thank him for a couple of videos and share my similar enjoyable things. He took the time to make a thoughtful reply. Made me smile.

16. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    It's great to see he's learnt a lesson from his Alone excursion! ;):dblthumb:
    Dom......

MrFixIt, Kreger, morganbw and 4 others like this.
  17. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Hehe, yeah. That's actually from an older video of his. A subscriber sent him that fire steel sometime after his unfortunate experience on Alone.

MrFixIt, Kreger, morganbw and 3 others like this.
  18. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I must have missed the part where someone said they didn't like watching video.
    I thought the subject here was people replacing speech/typing/pictures/articles... for a quick "Hey this is me" and it's nothing but a video.

19. JKR

JKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    TALKTUBE

ENDLESS YAMMERING CHANNELS!!

MrFixIt likes this.
  20. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I get tired of unboxing videos. Well, I should say I used to, now I don't waste my time on them. YT is very much like network TV, sports, print mags etc in the sense that there's a huge amount of content, about 5% of which is any good. Again, that's not a knock on the medium just my opinion of the content. That's not a shocker. Anyone can turn on a camera and press RECORD but to make a good video requires some talent; talent as a writer, presentation skills, a knowledge of the subject and some technical skills as a camera person, sound smith and editor. That's one reason I have endless respect for guys like Swedwoods! IIRC he composes the music, films everything (including his awe inspiring drone shots!) and still manages to bushcraft like a boss! Then you have someone like Stephanie Margeth (Bushcraft Stehpanie) and her zany sister that make really good videos based mostly on humor, charisma and, if we're being honest, really good looks!

Print isn't much different. Occasionally you'll read a forum post by someone who makes her living as an author and you're struck at once by how many levels there are of written communication. If Skeeter Skelton or Jack O'Connor were alive and posting today on forums imagine the content! Forum posts run the gamut from ESL speakers and those who've never heard of paragraphs to posters of great eloquence.

Good YT'ers seem to find a voice over time. Someone mentioned the "basement stove guy" which I assume is Hiram Cook. I love his videos! IIRC he does get outside a lot but lets be honest- while we like gear vids done outdoors that can be a silly affectation if taken too far. If you're explaining how a stove works I don't want to hear howling wind noise! Hiking out into the sticks to essentially turn a tabletop into a "stump top" isn't really a big improvement.

We all have pet peeves and I suppose one of mine is the "review" of something- especially a knife- that the owner has just removed from the box! Sure, you can show it off and explain the specs and the initial quality but I'm more interested in how it holds up, the edge retention, durability, etc. The opinions of someone who's gear all looks brand new doesn't carry a lot of weight with me.

21. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    Do a review after you have beat it to death,fixed it and beat it some more!

Gumbi, jswi2374, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  22. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm retired & I don't consider myself " Tooo old to learn new things ". :dblthumb:

A few years ago, I was utterly confused on " How To " use a Computer. :30:

We didn't have computers to play with, during my Compulsory Education.

In the past, I relied heavily on Mazagines subscriptions, for information on my Hobbies, as an example.

Today with a " Computer ", I can literally " Travel the World of Information " & share it with others.

I primarily log onto " You Tube ", for " Visual " information, which can many times be more " INFORMATIVE ", than reading a Text.

Whats that saying: " A Picture paints a thousand words ".
    (Reportedly first used by Frederick R. Barnard in Printer's Ink (December, 1921), while commenting that graphics can tell a story as effectively as a large amount of descriptive text.[1])

My Two Cents: " BUT, A Video Can Explain It Better " :33:

It's just another " FACIT " anyone today, can tap into.
    ( Formal Approaches to Computing and Information Technology )

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    ArmyMacE, DCP, MrFixIt and 7 others like this.
  23. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    That was me and that's the guy.
    Very informative videos and worth the watch.

And you're right. Some of the outdoor videos have so much wind noise it's hard to make out what they are saying.

24. morganbw

morganbw Scout

Blog Posts:
    There have been a few things that I wanted to learn about and youtube has been a great asset to me.
    There is a ton of crap out there and you have to wade through some of it to find what is needed/enjoyed.
    That said, youtube is a great aid in learning about something that interests you.
    Want to understand quantum physics, there are entire college course lectures online.
    That can be extrapolated to almost all of the sciences.

Youtube amazes me in that if I need to know how to field dress some type of game or butcher some animal, heck it is there.
    Indeed, it does require wading through the bullcrap and often the egos of people who truly believe they are experts, but there are
    some who are indeed experts.

I do prefer that if a member links a video that it is accompanied by some pictures. Some of the time I am unable to invest enough time to watch an extended video. I do admire that people do find the time to actually make them.

ArmyMacE, T. Pollock, MrFixIt and 5 others like this.
  25. mr c

Blog Posts:
    You have a very unique writing style

26. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    agree
    hate these wanna be film stars
    only youtube videos I watch and enjoy are auto repair videos,
    they tend to be instructional, straight to the point and not turned into a full length movies

T. Pollock and MrFixIt like this.
  27. DCP

DCP Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    BT,

Quit trying to talk some sense into this nonsense.

BushTramp and MrFixIt like this.
  28. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Aren’t you that guy who burned a 20 dollar steak on a rock? :4:

Gumbi, NWPrimate, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  29. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    People complain when something is filmed inside and they complain if filmed outside. Overal rain, wind, bugs, lighting, back ground noise such motorcycles (that carries for miles) helicopter, chainsaws etc etc are also issues filming outside. Some complain about the waterproof shell muffling the sound or amplifying the water drops as if anyone would sacrifice their gear. Once I wore bear bells as there was an attack down the road. OMG. Some could not handle it and was only 60 seconds total. I wonder how such fragile people even make it into to the woods. The majority are really really great but there is always something to complain about. Even the color of a man’s Bic lighter though know that was in jest. Yet we were talking about it. LOL part of the fun I guess and done it myself so know there is hypocrisy in my words.

30. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow. Such whining and moaning as which I have never seen. This is the first time a thread like this has come across my radar on here. I'd expect it in some other online communities, but am really surprised to see this here on BCUSA where people are going back and for over such nonsense. Guess there is a first time for everything but really, wow.

What is the purpose in creating a thread to vent about your frustration and disappointment on a subject of which you have little or no control over? What is anyone anyone gaining out this? If a viable solution to a problem can be offered then by all means, throw it out there. Other than soliciting attention from one's confidantes in search of some sort of validation, I can see no other reason for this.

You don't like something? Don't do it. Hey there's a solution guys and gals. If you don't like YouTube don't watch it. Do we really need the recent threads tab being filled up with a bunch of people complaining about something they can do nothing about? No, I don't think we do.

This place is loaded with all sorts of knowledge and helpful people from all walks of life. It is great for polite and constructive discussion. Sound advice can be found around every corner. Perhaps this is just a case of a wrong turn being made. It is disappointing to see and all I know is that complaining doesn't generally result in anything positive. So once again, if you don't like something, don't do it. Or on the flip side, "Be the change that you want to see in the world/YouTube". Enough said.

bacpacjac, CosmicJoke and ArmyMacE like this.
  31. lone_woodsman

lone_woodsman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am a huge fan of Youtube and the Youtube community. I have a small channel that I share my outdoor experiences on, whether it's telling you about a piece of gear I like or just doing some camping. I don't expect to become rich off of it but I do put ads on my videos so that if I ever do get any money from it I can put it towards some new gear. For those that don't like watching videos that's perfectly fine, but there are many who do. I can agree on the reviews of brand new items and unboxing videos being ridiculous and flat out boring. So I just don't watch them, but just like Youtube there are those out there that write reviews or write about things and you can tell they have no idea what they are talking about. Every form of media will always have fan boys and people with a clear lack of knowledge telling you about this or that. It's our job to filter through and find the good from the bad.

32. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Right after dropping the bacon ;)

Really though, keep it @ScrambledO Your content is awesome. A healthy mix of information and entertainment. I can't even begin to image the amount of people you have brought the subject of Bushcraft to across the world. There is also no question that you remember where you came from. If it wasnt for you and @RangerJoe I would never even have heard about BushCraftUSA. Thanks for everything .

P.S. How long would you say it takes to edit one of your videos?

33. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Absolutely! I can't count the number of times I've solved a computer issue thanks to a Youtube video. How to dice an onion, getting candle wax out of carpet, the proper way to sew on a button, on and on...

And I have bought things based on Youtube reviews that I have been completely satisfied with.

34. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Boy ain't that the truth. Oftentimes there actually is something to complain about.
    And when I'm watching a guy 8ft away from his camera in what sounds like a windstorm, it makes for a hard to understand video.

But complaining about actual video content is outside the OP's original comment and I'm not sure how we ended up here.

35. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was just having an old man groan about this the other week and ended up starting a group on here for Youtubers who are not doing that, we are not selling anything they did not make with their own two hands and their Youtube channels are not monitzed with commericals etc, none of seem to care about viewing numbers but we'd like viewers who are watching to interact with us, we are slowly filling each others channels with real people comments as we watch each others stuff, most real stuff i've watched on Youtube in years, just real people out doing their things and trying to video and share it

Join us

36. clanmaki

clanmaki Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Its true finding good content on YouTube is getting to be more challenging but I don't get too upset about it. I like treasure hunts.
    I would rather search through lots of mediocre or repetitive outdoor channels on YouTube then click through channel after channel of irritating muck and commercials on TV.

ArmyMacE, OMRebel, T. Pollock and 3 others like this.
  37. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    I think the OPs statement does cover that as well unless I misread something. He complained about open box videos and the like which is content. I am not big on open box videos either unless it is not really the primary focus of the video aka pretext for something else but that’s just me. Some people really like them. To each their own IMHO.

ManyHammers and AdirondackBadger like this.
  38. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not exactly my point. A well written technical article is more than as blog post, just as a video is more than a photo. Good technical writing is hard, requiring language skills and a degree of organized presentation skills as well as some mastery of the subject.

Video can be useful but it seems the bar is much lower as far a mastery of the subject. Video editing seems to be within the skill level of some pretty unknowledgable people. YMMV

39. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    The same applies to writing and photography. Technology has allowed nearly everyone to take photos or videos on demand. Also to instantly write then post about it. I do agree however that writing is clearly suffering in the digital age. That said I view this like gun control. When a so-called “duck” hunter complains about AR15 owners they don’t (or do) realize we are all gun owners and the same forces want to disarm them both. So I defend all content providers as we are all on the same team. The people who do have always taken a degree of guff from those who watch or read about it. They have also always taken the praises. So in that regard nothing has really changed from the first cave drawings.

ArmyMacE, x39, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  40. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The only color I buy...

41. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    Because of you and the wonderful job you do,we have gotten out in the woods and cooked a lot!

Thumbs up for doing a stellar job promoting Bushcraft in your own unique way!

I wish I had some steak now!

42. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I took the Open Box sentence to mean content, also.
    But it seems a lot of the comments/posts here, myself included, turned to discussing how well the video was made or produced, not necessarily what the video was about (content).
    That's why I said we were getting away from the original post :)

bacpacjac likes this.
  43. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Or bacon. With dirt seasoning, lol.

Woods Walker, bacpacjac, mr c and 2 others like this.
  44. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    Did that last year with bacon on a stick,it took forever to cook that way without cremating it!

bacpacjac, PAcanis and mr c like this.
  45. mr c

Blog Posts:
    I did not get round to it.
    Just opened the door

Woods Walker, T. Pollock and PAcanis like this.
  46. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Door... can of worms... lol ;)

ManyHammers, T. Pollock and mr c like this.
  47. mr c

Blog Posts:
    Yeah i did fear that. My first draft was very long and rant like.

hunter63, T. Pollock and PAcanis like this.
  48. RickWA

Blog Posts:

That pretty much opens the door to... whatever.

mr c likes this.
  49. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And we have all shared .. our " Unique Opinions ", in a " CIVIL MANNER ". :dblthumb:

50. mr c

Blog Posts:
    A bit of civility goes far