Youtube

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by mr c, Jan 15, 2018.

1. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Civet cat and civility are similar?

This critter is commonly mis-called a civet cat, really is a spotted skunk.

[​IMG]

2. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    Coffee skunk. Got it.

There is a certain kind of coffee that is passed by the civet cat,it is expensive.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Winterhorse and Coryphene like this.
  3. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The "sacred bacon" is the corner stone of any video or message board post. You don't need actual content or writing skills when there is sizzling bacon. No one can deny it.

4. mr c

mr c Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Now even i am distracted by thoughts of bacon.

Mmmmm bacon

5. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Anyone looking for popularity on Youtube or the forums just needs the magic ingredient.

[​IMG]

There is a danger. Soon the fame and fortune will get to someone's head. Then will come the drugs, groupies and women. After that the inevitable crash. Years spent sleeping under a bridge homeless follows. Maybe an interview on A&E for one of those whatever happened to a fallen star TV specials. But that's it.....

ArmyMacE, Coryphene, morganbw and 2 others like this.
  6. Biker Bushcraft

Biker Bushcraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well for what it's worth about half of my videos have bacon, steak or sausage in them.
    I will say there is a wide variety of content out there. I do often share my videos here if they are relevant to a thread but only because it would take me three pages to give a complete answer. Not that I know that much, I just have allot to say.
    I have recently started adding gear reviews to my youtube channel but I am not getting free-be's from anyone. I buy the gear and use the gear. These reviews are a necessary part of growing a channel. And, allot of people do like them.
    My channel is not to everyone's taste and I accept that but I try to leave in enough mistakes so even if you don't like me you can mock and laugh at me.
    So you will still see me reply with a video link once in awhile. If you don't watch it and move past my response, that is just the way it goes. If you check out the link and like what you see you might learn something or you might teach me something. I think it is a valuable platform to communicate information.

7. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There we go. That's what I like to see folks. Getting back to the important things here...Bacon. Can anyone recommend any good Bacon videos and/or channels on YouTube? Also, did you know there is a social group on here called the Brotherhood of Bacon?

8. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    I'll tune in for the food and to pick on you. Mostly the food.

Biker Bushcraft likes this.
  9. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Things we owe to YT in the BC community:

Axes being cool again (or for the first time depending on your definition of "cool")
    Unbreakable fixed blade knives. All the people on YT trying different tests for breaking a knife created a market for truly unbreakable knives. Without YT knife destruction, we'd probably not have 3V knives.
    HUGE gun model selection. How many people watch a YT vid or 50 before going out to buy their next gun calling it "research"?
    Primitive fire skills. Before, you had to go find someone to teach you how to use a bow drill else it seemed like a magic trick. Now you can watch a few videos and have success very quickly.
    A CONSTANT supply of laughs from people who do stupid things like repeatedly shoot a small tree that breaks off and falls on the shooter. (look it up) Before, we had to wait for people to submit home videos to AFHV and listen to bad voice-overs by Bob Saget. Now all someone has to do is point their smartphone to their friend when he utters the words, "Hey, Watch This" and hit upload after they stop laughing at their friend's pain.

Gumbi, ArmyMacE, GGTBod and 8 others like this.
  10. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    True Dat Dude. :4:

11. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The changes aren't just affecting the big channels.

I just un-monetized all the videos on my non bushcraft channel. I had only done it as an experiment to see what it was all about. In all the time I had them monetized they earned a whopping $4.29 LOL not even enough to cash out IIRC.

I got a nice little email from YT tonight telling me I had been (with 30 days notice) demoted :dblthumb: and was no longer a YT partner since my channel wasn't big enough (with their new guidelines) and bringing in enough interest for folks to advertise on.

Cool :4: I didn't start either of my channels to make money. I started them to hopefully be able to help others and that's what I'll continue to do as I'm able. Lots of changes going on at YT and I certainly don't agree with most of them. Still I enjoy it, I'm thankful to have it as a learning tool and for entertainment since I don't watch TV.

12. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been pondering over getting a " Hatchet ", for my Camping Gear / Emergency Prepping Tools..:33:

After reviewing several " You Tube Videos ". I just ordered a " Council Tool Velvicut Premium Saddle Axe ". :dblthumb:

ArmyMacE, Coryphene and T. Pollock like this.
  13. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those are kinda cool! The only reason I don't have a double bit hatchet is because I use the poll almost as much as the bit. It is just the way I use it.

I think you two will be very happy together! They look like they could be a lot of fun!

ArmyMacE, T. Pollock and ManyHammers like this.
  14. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

Blog Posts:
  15. Biker Bushcraft

Biker Bushcraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think with the changes in youtube policy you are going to see allot fewer small youtube channels putting in the effort to create quality videos. It is allot of work and often some expense to turn out something people will watch.
    Fortunately my channel was not set up to be my primary revenue stream so I will keep producing videos but I have heard allot of talk about people going with the junk video model just to meet monetization guidelines.

16. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Guide Banned

Blog Posts:
    My neighbor has a Youtube channel,it sucks. He has been at it for a little over two years and I found out that he steals other peoples ideas. He thinks he is an electronics expert,I know better. I did a search on the subject he makes the most videos about and he is nowhere to be found. There is no way this guy is making 300.00 a month off of Youtube.

T. Pollock likes this.
  17. PERRO

Blog Posts:
    I wanted something " Very Durable ". ALLLL of the " YOU TUBE " reviews, were very postive :dblthumb:

My two ..Reaaaally cool factor " Hatchets/Axe " :4:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/forging-the-carving-axes.89702/#post-1563188

[​IMG]
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/viking-axe-mask-cover-for-an-mp-viking-axe.107724/

18. mr c

mr c Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    and those who spam every thread with embedded youtube videos

GGTBod, T. Pollock, hunter63 and 2 others like this.
  19. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love youtube. My wallet does not! Enough said!

20. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the laugh
    You tube and quality
    Lol im still laughing

hunter63, ManyHammers and mr c like this.
  21. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Monetizing is a duel edge sword. Unless you are a big channel it might provide enough cash for a slice and a trip to the fly shop. Making the 100 dollar a month mark so YT will actually pay a creator (yes it accumulates but could take a smaller channel forever to hit it) is really really hard for smaller channels which often have as good or even better content than some of the larger ones. FYI my local fly shop became a dance studio. Almost cried over that but I digress. The problem is two parts. 1. YouTube's AI is insane and hates outdoors channels. I can't tell yea all the videos which get auto demonetization because there is a knife or fire in the thumb nail. Often there is no reason at all for the yellow dollar signs which appear. A video with green dollar sign good, yellow is not suitable for all advertiser. But here is the problem. If yea don't monetize there is no incentive for YT to put your video on the suggested viewing list of a person's search. So there is little chance of someone's hard work actually being seen. So yea have to appeal the yellow so the content will be recommended or seen beyond your subs. But people then complain they don't like advertisements. So in some ways you are dammed if yea do and dammed if yea don't.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  22. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I prefer to read myself. But some videos have been helpful.

lone_woodsman and NevadaBlue like this.
  23. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Okay, I'm going to be the contrarian here. Even though I'm old and grumpy, I enjoy many of the various YouTube videos.

Even though YT is backing away from the monitization of the videos, this only affects those guys who are making a living from their vids. To these I say, Get a Job!

On the other hand, if there's ANYTHING you want to know how to do, several folks have already made a video about it. I saved hundreds of dollars by repairing my own washing machine by watching a YT video on how to do it. I spent $13 for one necessary part when my Wife insisted we needed a new washer.

I often spend several hours a week watching videos just for entertainment purposes. I'm my Wife's czaregiver and can't stray far from home. In home entertainment is vital for me to keep from going nuts. (Oops! Too late!)

Steve

24. PERRO

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

I have way more choices & control, over my viewing preferences ..Than normal " Cable / Satellite " TV programs. :3:

How the Universe Works - National Geographic The Universe - Space Discovery Documentary 2017

" I'm retired & I don't consider myself ' Tooooooo Old to Learn New things '. " :14:

25. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    There is one thing I do dislike about YT on occasion is repair videos and computer problems fixes videos. The critical info is omitted or out of sight. Sometimes obstructed by the person's hand at the very moment of truth or time when I really gotta see what is going on. It's almost like subconsciously they knew that was the gem and wanted to hide it. LOL! I don't complain to the channel or give a thumbs down but don't give positive comments either. Just move on. Speaking of comments etc I don't get the thumbs down and up stuff with some videos. I have seen videos which are totally perfect. They showed the repair correctly. It helped me do the job and bang..... lots of thumbs down. Seen it with other videos as well. Once asked the Backwoods Gourmet Channel what was up with the 800 plus haters for what appeared to be a good video. He said people were angry he kept the water hose running when cleaning the fish. Dang at times in SW Florida you're up to your (fill in the blank) with water both fresh and salt. Another percentage hates everything. Then there are the stalker haters. They have a list of people they hate and go after um. Like a list of subscribed channels but in reverse. Seen it before as well. Someone could cure cancer in a video and 10% will give it a thumbs down.

bacpacjac, NevadaBlue, Gumbi and 6 others like this.
  26. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

High quality! Right here! Right now! BOOYAH!!! [​IMG]

27. PERRO

Blog Posts:
    NevadaBlue, Woods Walker and morganbw like this.
  28. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner

Blog Posts:

I saw nothing wrong with the video... his batter recipe could use some work. My opinion though.... now I have a new channel to enjoy!

NevadaBlue likes this.
  29. Grizzly Dave

Grizzly Dave Scout

Blog Posts:
    Youtube like all information on the internet should not be trusted they are just the opinions or experiences of an individual who can be a dufus or an expert, you get to decide and learn from the knowlegable and delete the dufus... what is the plural of dufus...dufai?

NevadaBlue likes this.
  30. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Here is one of the problems at YT. This video is "not suitable for all advertisers". Can anyone guess why?

bacpacjac and NevadaBlue like this.
  31. Chili

Chili Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cause you're wearing camo in the woods?

NevadaBlue and Woods Walker like this.
  32. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    There is no rational reason. The AI is irrational because it was programmed by people who probably never slept out in the woods. It could be the hawk in the cover thumb. It could be the gortex camo pants. There is no way to ever know. Also their recommended countermeasures is to keep videos unlisted to make sure it's ok and then publish doesn't work. The problem is they're always ok so the creator publishes and then maybe a day or so into the publishing the AI changes it's mind. I would never make any money from that video anyways given how the system works but if I don't appeal it will not be put in their recommended video list. For larger outdoors channels this is a bigger problem as they make most of their money from the first few days. Though they are prioritized something like this could cost them half of their advertisement revenue even if it was cleared up in a day or so. Odds are for me it will be cleared up in a few days. No issue but for those actually earing their food money with YT it's a big problem. This will over time effect the content as creators try to second guess the insane AI.

bacpacjac, NevadaBlue and ArmyMacE like this.
  33. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    The bacon offends Muslim advertisers?
    Another headlamp company already has exclusive advertising rights with Youtube?
    Blaze orange ball cap means it is a hunting video?

NevadaBlue, ArmyMacE and Woods Walker like this.
  34. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Funny thing is this thread has made me remember that I actually have my own YouTube channel. I just went to check it out. After 10 years I have 2 subscribers and one of the vids that is 10 years old has over a thousand views. I have one that is 5 years old and has 53 views. I'm doing better than I thought.

NevadaBlue and ArmyMacE like this.
  35. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    LOL. Also notice how my review video isn’t an unboxing. Done in the frozen woods and ice cold rain drenched streets. Not the living room. LOL.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  36. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    And my appeal was accepted which is 100% of the case. But also would of negated most of the revenue if it was a video posted by a larger channel as they get the majority of the views fast. A day's delay costs them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  37. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    Hah... Larry Roberts' response to the critics of batoning.

:D

38. Chili

Chili Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lmao! The music made it!

NevadaBlue, RickWA and T. Pollock like this.
  39. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    Give it up for the girls!

Stephi and Sis go to Pennsylvania.

Been watching her for a year or so. She's quite a character.

NevadaBlue and Jameson like this.
  40. miwok

miwok Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yep. One thing that separates good videos from bad ones is you'll know within 15-20 second if it's worth continuing. If they start out with unfocused rambling and clearly no idea what they want to talk about, I'm out. But there are great how-to vids and in general when you find one you find that the same channel has many more.

PERRO and NevadaBlue like this.
  41. miwok

miwok Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Is there nothing that bacon cannot do?

Were it not for youtube I may never have seen this, genius!

[​IMG]

42. miwok

miwok Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's exposed me to a lot of actually useful things as well as tackling jobs I might have given up on. Headlight switch on my daughter's car failed. Try as I might I could not figure out how to get the dud out of the dash. I've changed transmissions, done engine swaps, and feel reasonably competent with puzzles. No dice. Found a 30 second video of the exact model year car w/ headlight switch swap and was able to go out and fix it myself. Did not need to join a vehicle specific forum or scroll through many threads looking for the exact info I needed, there it was. youtube can be a powerful and time saving resource... as well as one stop for cat videos.

RickWA, PMSteve, Chili and 1 other person like this.
  43. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    THIS

And, yes, some of the repair videos are BIG money savers. For me, washing machine, dryer, refrigerator and dish washer were all saved by the UTUBE fixers. At least they made my life much easier. OMG getting the front loading washer open when it locked up... a crow bar was what I was headed for.

miwok likes this.
  44. miwok

miwok Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Exactly!

No question there is a ton a crap there but as you pointed out earlier, no one is twisting your arm to watch it either.

The good videos outweigh the crap especially when you only need a narrow range of competence/confidence boost for a task not likely returned to.

45. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Holy Mother Mary. This is amazing. Must have.

miwok likes this.
  46. miwok

miwok Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The only thing left unexplored is how was this not thought of sooner?

47. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    well personally my cats love the Box opening videos !

RickWA likes this.
  48. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    I think I'm in love.

In all of my Youtube travels, I haven't seen her before. She's an excellent presenter/teacher. And how can you not admire a woman who grinds rabbit dung in her bare hands? :D

Mick Badgero likes this.
  49. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just made a request to join this group.

bacpacjac and GGTBod like this.
  50. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, yes, I love my granddaughter too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019