Yucca sandals, lots of pics

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools' started by Jacob, Jan 19, 2018.

1. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    95E217BD-1248-473B-A1CF-96BD0ACD1B7A.jpeg This month’s archaeology southwest volume 32 edition 1

2. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Update pic...after about 10 miles of walking, the heel patches on my sandals wore through and fell apart (dropping loose fiber everywhere, lol). However, the soles underneath are still basically undamaged...it will be an easy fix to put new patches on.

SUNP0074.JPG

3. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just got my copy of AS today...excellent article! This magazine is always very impressive, IMO, and the latest issue is no exception.

Jacob and lowtidejoe like this.
  4. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree. I really enjoyed the Mimbres edition as well

Jacob and OrienM like this.
  5. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    We lived in Scottsdale late 50s early 60s. The family car was a Chrysler station wagon with a hemi engine. We drove south to look at land for sale @ $60 an acre. The fan belt shredded and we coasted to a stop. this Apache Cowboy came riding up and within minutes braided an emergency belt out of Yucca. It held up without problem until we returned to a gas station. We didn't buy any land even though I begged my parents to buy a few acres for me now within Tucson City limits. We drove past an auction of old National Guard Aircraft and I could have a Stearman biplane or a P 47 Thunderbolt for 3 figures. My parents nixed that idea too. We moved back to California and traded in that Wagon as I cried profusely parting with it. Yucca leaf points wre used as hunting barbs, roots for soap, young petals in salads. You can bake the stalks into a kind of grey sweetpotato like mass not unlike Hawaiian Poi and the taste in my mouth thinking of present values for Tucson real estate, P 47s and Chrysler hemis.

6. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    A yucca fan belt, that's awfully impressive. Yucca sure is tough stuff! Sorry about your P47:D...I had a kind of similar experience with a Schwinn stingray bicycle as a kid. Should definitely have bought it...

It is amazing how many uses can be found for yucca plants. I like cooked yucca stalks and fruit pretty well, but wasn't too impressed with the taste of the heart of the plant. Agave hearts get very sweet after roasting, but yucca seems to stay kind of bitter.

I discovered recently, even the little worms (yucca moth larvae?) that live in the seed pods are edible...:eek:

Jacob likes this.
  7. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Jacob likes this.
  8. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am very impressed. This is true bushcraft! Some thoughts on the amount of time the ancients took to make and keep up their footwear: Likely not as much as us. Most of us will put out three figures for good hiking boots. How much time and hard work did it take you to earn that money after everyone took a piece of it? I am sure making and maintaining footwear was a constant effort but something that can be done while waiting out a storm, or waiting in a hunting blind or sitting near the fire while that rabbit cooked. Probably so routine that is was barely noticed. I am sure they spent less time on footwear repair as most of us do with our personal electronic devices. Wait a minute, isn’t that what I’m typing on? Guilty as charged. Making sandals and walking miles in them, I’m much too lazy.

Great thread and I have learned a lot from it. Please keep posting.

Jacob, Trail Angel and OrienM like this.
  9. TexasPrimitive

TexasPrimitive Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This makes me yell at the TV.

Jacob and OrienM like this.
  10. Trail Angel

Trail Angel KK6IQL-GENERAL YL Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is great!!

OrienM and Jacob like this.
  11. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    OrienM likes this.
  12. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bump for a few more pics...my yucca sandals are still "kicking" :D but they have been in need of a bit of repair. I processed up some fresh yucca leaves this evening, and stitched in some reinforcement where the warps were starting to crack at the instep. Done with stone tools, kind of quick and sloppy work but the repairs seem solid. I still like wearing these around the property; they are very quiet when stalking small game, too.

SUNP0137.JPG SUNP0131.JPG SUNP0136.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  13. Calafia666

Calafia666 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Yucca sandals are of the flip flop variety.

4CB135A2-3C4A-496A-9854-FFBE0292A9A8.jpeg

Jacob, OrienM and Primordial like this.